Shooting Match Info

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Shooting Match Info

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Apr 2015, 1:36 pm

I've been looking at getting into a rifle shooting competition but so far I haven't found anything that interests me too much. I don't want to be too serious, just something a bit challenging to test my skills. Ideally I wouldn't want to have to fork out a heap of money for new gear either.

I find the bench rest matches at my local quite boring and was wondering if there's a match that's more oriented toward factory rifles shooting off bipods instead of custom builds off fancy rests?

Any info or suggestions of enjoyable matches would be welcome
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Shooting Match Info

Post by 1290 » 17 Apr 2015, 2:05 pm

naaaaah what you might be interested in is Military Rifle 3P, over 100, 200 and 300m, open sights, 30 rounds
Theres movement, changing positions, changing range, reloading and sight adjustment under the timer...

You'll see your skills improve, no bench crap...and all you'll need is a Mauser, Enfield, Mosin or similar
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 17 Apr 2015, 4:42 pm

1290 wrote:naaaaah what you might be interested in is Military Rifle 3P, over 100, 200 and 300m, open sights, 30 rounds
Theres movement, changing positions, changing range, reloading and sight adjustment under the timer...

You'll see your skills improve, no bench crap...and all you'll need is a Mauser, Enfield, Mosin or similar

This^^^ either MSD or CSD

SSAA combined services discipline shoots military rifles, tactical rifles and service pistol as well.

There's field rifle and metallic silhouette which will challenge you more than shooting off a bipod.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 18 Apr 2015, 8:07 am

Thanks for the info guys. Will have to look into the match and see if my range shoots it/ where I can shoot it
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 18 Apr 2015, 8:28 am

Big game is fairly fun, 308 minimum rifle.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by 1290 » 18 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

Looks like you've got a couple of rifles you could use for the military shoot, You'd probably be one of very few with a Steyr... :thumbsup:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 18 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

1290 wrote:Looks like you've got a couple of rifles you could use for the military shoot, You'd probably be one of very few with a Steyr... :thumbsup:

True. Have you shot one though? The sights are hard enough to use at 100 yards let alone 300 :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 18 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
1290 wrote:Looks like you've got a couple of rifles you could use for the military shoot, You'd probably be one of very few with a Steyr... :thumbsup:

True. Have you shot one though? The sights are hard enough to use at 100 yards let alone 300 :lol:

Never shot a man-licker :lol: but I'm sure the sites are the least of the problems.....just try finding the 300m target with the naked eye..... :D
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 18 Apr 2015, 3:02 pm

1290 wrote:Never shot a man-licker :lol: but I'm sure the sites are the least of the problems.....just try finding the 300m target with the naked eye..... :D

:lol: Yeah that would be an issue too. The sites on the M95 would be better suited to a pistol that you never planned to shoot further than 10 yards. They're tiny!

Mine's in pretty good nick though, I've managed to get a couple 1" groups at 100 yards from it so maybe I should suck it up and try a match with it
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 18 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:
1290 wrote:Never shot a man-licker :lol: but I'm sure the sites are the least of the problems.....just try finding the 300m target with the naked eye..... :D

:lol: Yeah that would be an issue too. The sites on the M95 would be better suited to a pistol that you never planned to shoot further than 10 yards. They're tiny!

Mine's in pretty good nick though, I've managed to get a couple 1" groups at 100 yards from it so maybe I should suck it up and try a match with it

1inch groups at 100yds??? That would be a definite match winner..... go for it, failing that go with the moist nugget!!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 18 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm

1290 wrote:1inch groups at 100yds??? That would be a definite match winner..... go for it, failing that go with the moist nugget!!

That's when I had all the time in the world to shoot though, not under pressure. Still it has the potential as long as I do my bit

The nugget's a carbine that had a very rusty bore, I don't think she'd perform too admirably or be comfortable to shoot! :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 18 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

Do t worry too much about service rifle accuracy mate, the service target is 4 foot square so you should have no trouble getting on paper at 300m and the V bull is 5" so most service rifle will shoot possibles, it's us shooters that get in the way :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sakoh » 20 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

Yeah the rifles would be better off without us :lol: :mrgreen:
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 27 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

Mate you might find that a lot of ranges are running a calls called "hunter benchrest". It's a sort of "run what you brung" thing and a special class where you can use your hunting rifle and don't have bring things that should be on wheels.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 27 Apr 2015, 7:09 pm

headspace wrote:Mate you might find that a lot of ranges are running a calls called "hunter benchrest". It's a sort of "run what you brung" thing and a special class where you can use your hunting rifle and don't have bring things that should be on wheels.
JD

Thanks mate. That sounds like the kind of thing I'm looking for. Will ask at the range next time I get there
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 29 Apr 2015, 9:24 am

headspace wrote:Mate you might find that a lot of ranges are running a calls called "hunter benchrest". It's a sort of "run what you brung" thing and a special class where you can use your hunting rifle and don't have bring things that should be on wheels.
JD

Central Coast Muzzle Loaders are a great rifle club. The have various "hunting" shoots on, varying from bench rest to prone. Guess it all depends on where you live and how far your happy to drive. I watched a bloke playing with a .300 Win Mag and his targets were rabbits.....

The Muzzle Loaders isn't a requirement (you don't have to shoot black powder). They also have a pistol club that has the high calibre permit (if you own a .44 mag, you've got a place to shoot.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pom » 29 Apr 2015, 9:40 am

Sounds like good fun.

Too much structure and rules turn these things into a book keeping exercise instead of a fun activity :(
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 29 Apr 2015, 10:52 am

bluerob wrote:Central Coast Muzzle Loaders are a great rifle club. The have various "hunting" shoots on, varying from bench rest to prone. Guess it all depends on where you live and how far your happy to drive. I watched a bloke playing with a .300 Win Mag and his targets were rabbits.....

The Muzzle Loaders isn't a requirement (you don't have to shoot black powder). They also have a pistol club that has the high calibre permit (if you own a .44 mag, you've got a place to shoot.

:lol: that's gold. That club is only about 45 minutes from me. I'll have to check it out
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Tiiger » 05 May 2015, 9:50 am

You can't shoot a .44 mag at most pistol ranges then?
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 05 May 2015, 11:28 am

Tiiger wrote:You can't shoot a .44 mag at most pistol ranges then?

This is for NSW. I haven't read up on other states.

.38 is the limit. You can apply for a permit to own larger calibres (like .45 or .44 mag), but, you must shoot a recognized match like metallic silhouette.

I'm not a mouth piece on behalf of Central Coast Muzzle Loaders, but, it's a great club, good facilities and there's heaps of options/disciplines you can get involved in. Shotgun range is great.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 05 May 2015, 11:42 am

Baldrick314 wrote:
bluerob wrote:Central Coast Muzzle Loaders are a great rifle club. The have various "hunting" shoots on, varying from bench rest to prone. Guess it all depends on where you live and how far your happy to drive. I watched a bloke playing with a .300 Win Mag and his targets were rabbits.....

:lol: that's gold. That club is only about 45 minutes from me. I'll have to check it out

It really is a great complex. I think there's about 5 different clubs that use this facility. I'm looking to also join Gosford City Rifle Club for F-Class and Benchrest .22. Because of medical issues, I can't play in all disciplines that I'd like to.

45 mins ain't that bad (that's how long it takes me - we aren't neighbors are we? :crazy: ).

Come down on Tuesday mornings (rifle practice and shot gunning) or check the website (ccml.net.au).

You won't be disappointed.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Seik » 06 May 2015, 11:01 am

bluerob wrote:I'm not a mouth piece on behalf of Central Coast Muzzle Loaders, but, it's a great club, good facilities and there's heaps of options/disciplines you can get involved in. Shotgun range is great.

They don't pay you, your just get free ammo?

Doesn't count that way right? :mrgreen: :lol: :sarcasm:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 06 May 2015, 4:36 pm

Seik wrote:
bluerob wrote:I'm not a mouth piece on behalf of Central Coast Muzzle Loaders, but, it's a great club, good facilities and there's heaps of options/disciplines you can get involved in. Shotgun range is great.

They don't pay you, your just get free ammo?

Doesn't count that way right? :mrgreen: :lol: :sarcasm:

Nope, just a Surgeon action and Kreiger barrel each year. I have to get the other bits. :drinks:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 07 May 2015, 4:10 pm

Sign me up! I'll be a spruiker for them for that pair every year :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Hilux2003 » 11 May 2015, 11:49 pm

JD

Hunter Benchrest can get quite competitive. Some of the locals at WRSC actually submit their targets for scoring!
Some of the hunters come out to sight in & then get involved occasionaly in a "friendly hunter shoot" - nothing really serious, just along the lines of "mine is better than yours, etc..............

Some even try the 300m Fly - but it tends to put a few off, as they cannot get on target.
Most of the local 'spot-lighting' crew (including me) don't shoot past about 100m - for a 'sure shot' - out to eliminate, not just injure. Some have not really shot past 150-200m, so 300m (bullet drop, etc.) can cause problems.

We try & help individuals, as they ask or we just 'butt-in' (sometimes you can't just stand back & shudder).

Hunter Benchrest targets exist & the comp. calls for one shot at each bull on a ring scoring target. We normally shoot 5 at each because (at a club shoot) none of us has a hunter rifle which will (in the field) put all in the one hole.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 12 May 2015, 3:29 pm

Hilux2003 wrote:Hunter Benchrest can get quite competitive. Some of the locals at WRSC actually submit their targets for scoring!

I get the feeling there might be a bit of a "bench rest rifles are over rated" vibe there on occasion :lol:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges