#17 ACT Long Range Championships

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

#17 ACT Long Range Championships

Post by ross308 » 12 Jun 2015, 3:41 pm

Hello all,

Please find attached the latest flyer and competition details for the next ACT Long Range Match being held in July 19th, 2015.

The Long and Short Matches will be shot as different COF – so please bring along 2 x Rifles if required. The Long match will be shot in the morning and then break for lunch.

Any questions, please let me know and hope all is well.

ross308
Attachments
Slide1.JPG
Slide1.JPG (125.86 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
ross308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: #17 ACT Long Range Championships

Post by Hairy Biker » 12 Jun 2015, 4:06 pm

Question: Prone Support but no bipod. Can you provide more details on what this means and whether the Hawkins position is considered to be a legal option.
Hairy Biker
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by ross308 » 12 Jun 2015, 4:17 pm

Good question Hairybiker.

The Hawkins is a legal option, however the use of any "pods' i.e. Bipod and Tripods are not. Therefore, you can use a backpack etc which is my personal favourite position.

ross308
ross308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RemChester » 13 Jun 2015, 6:22 pm

Why not use your oppo, if he or she is willing, just another fun alternate firing position.....
RemChester
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ross308 » 07 Jul 2015, 11:25 am

Just a gentle reminder of the upcoming Long Range competition being hosted at the ACT Majura Canberra Rifle Club on the 19th July, 2015.

If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to reach out.

ross308
ross308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 07 Jul 2015, 1:25 pm

I think I'll be there :D
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Shooter7 » 07 Jul 2015, 8:53 pm

Is there a regular event shot like this? I have been looking for something similar to the precision bolt challenge stuff I keep seeing on youtube.
Shooter7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 08 Jul 2015, 11:33 am

I have a question Ross308, is there a military caliber restriction of rifles that can be used? I thought service competitions had to to shot with a rifle chambered in a military caliber

What sort of rifle would be ideal if you were to choose/build a rifle for this kind of comp?

Thanks, Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 08 Jul 2015, 6:11 pm

Chronos wrote:I have a question Ross308, is there a military caliber restriction of rifles that can be used? I thought service competitions had to to shot with a rifle chambered in a military caliber

What sort of rifle would be ideal if you were to choose/build a rifle for this kind of comp?

Thanks, Chronos

Not to preclude Ross308's reply but if you look at the bottom of the flyer you will find the "rules" National Rifle Association SSR as at 1/6/2014 & Australian SAAM as at 2013 - this refers to the rules & rifles allowed.

I have not looked them up but from previous shoots any thing up to 8mm was allowed. I think the Majura range still has the 50cal limit for the military but am probably wrong.
Hilux
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ross308 » 09 Jul 2015, 12:07 am

There is no calibre restriction on the range noting that 50 BMG are prohibited within ACT as per the local regulations.

In relation to regular events, we are planning to run these events every 6-8 weeks, so watch this space for more information.
ross308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 10 Jul 2015, 3:17 pm

ross308 wrote:There is no calibre restriction on the range noting that 50 BMG are prohibited within ACT as per the local regulations.

Complete prohibition? Not just limited to where you can shoot it? :thumbsdown:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RDobber » 13 Jul 2015, 11:34 am

The old "not banned but you can't shoot it anywhere" trick :thumbsdown:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by ross308 » 13 Jul 2015, 3:48 pm

A rifle chambered for 50BMG is listed as a Prohibited Firearm under the ACT Firearms Act.

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/a/199 ... 996-74.pdf
Page 196

Therefore, it is not banned per se, however you would need to convince the powers to be why you would need a 50 BMG for the genuine reason of target shooting.

ross308
ross308
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shooter7 » 18 Aug 2015, 9:48 am

ross308 wrote:There is no calibre restriction on the range noting that 50 BMG are prohibited within ACT as per the local regulations.

In relation to regular events, we are planning to run these events every 6-8 weeks, so watch this space for more information.

Any updates regarding regular events at this stage?
Shooter7
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Tonit » 24 Aug 2015, 2:41 pm

ross308 wrote:A rifle chambered for 50BMG is listed as a Prohibited Firearm under the ACT Firearms Act.

Hollywood has really done a number on the 50BMG for us hasn't it.

There are half a dozen similarly effective cartridges allowed everywhere that the powers that be and anti-gun lobby wouldn't even know the name of but 50bmg is banned just for the fact they heard the name in a sniper movie :roll:
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges