Hawthorn Rifle Range shuts shop after 100 years

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Post by RealNick » 21 Jun 2015, 2:05 pm

Sad for our sport to see stuff like this :(

Every Monday night, 47-year-old Martin Stockdale picks up his rifle, grabs his shooting jacket, ammunition, mitt, and a sling and heads to Hawthorn to shoot.

There, at the 20-metre range, he lays his mat on the floor, slides the bolt, loads a bullet and take aim at a paper target.

The father-of-four has been making the trek to the Hawthorn Small Bore Rifle Club for 33 years.

Recently, he has been joined by two of his children – Thomas, 17, and Renee, 14. They are the fifth generation of their family to shoot at the 100-year-old club. They will also be the last. This Monday, the club will shut its doors after the Boroondara City Council deemed the club house unsafe.

Mr Stockdale said it was a sad time. "I have been a member of this club my whole life," he said. "We have always had a member of the family in this club – my great-grandfather, William Hall, started at the club. It is an end of an era."

The atmosphere inside the club house, which is located next to a community garden, is a bit like a home. Children run around the room, while mothers line benches along the wall.

Esther Birchall, who introduced both her husband Geoff and daughter Erica Fox to the sport, watches on while knitting a bonnet for her grandchild. Trophies, some dating back to the 1920s, line the walls of the dilapidated building.

The club can make claims to an illustrious history – it spawned an Olympic athlete in Noel Hall – but Boroondara mayor Coral Ross said it would have cost more than a $1 million to replace the range.

Cr Ross said the council acknowledged the history of the club, and the important role it has played in the community, but given the low patronage – the club has just 19 members – the council could not justify spending what was needed to bring it up to a safe standard.

"In March 2014, council obtained a report from an independent structural engineer which advised that the building was unsafe for ongoing occupation," she said.

"In response, council funded temporary repairs allowing the club to continue to occupy the building until the end of its lease in June 2015 and provided the club with 12 months' notice that the lease would not be renewed."

Cr Ross said after the demolition the land would return to open space.

Club treasurer Kevin Saunders said the Camberwell Rifle Club in Surrey Hills had offered to share their premises in the short term, but the future remained uncertain.

"It is very hard to know what the future of the club will be when it won't have its own range, and there is no way we will get another place to build a range," Mr Saunders said.

"We wouldn't have the money."

Every week, the Stockdales pick up the club's 86-year-old president, Albert 'Alby' Jackson, and give him a lift to the club. Mr Jackson said he had been going to the club for 62 years, and the members had become part of his family.

Mr Stockdale said he was proud that his children had been able "to join the club and shoot". "It is something we are able to do together," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hawth ... hszeo.html
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Hawthorn Rifle Range shuts shop after 100 years

Post by AusTac » 21 Jun 2015, 2:07 pm

Didn't even know there was a hawthorn range... too late now, what a shame
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by newsteadvic » 21 Jun 2015, 2:28 pm

AusTac wrote:Didn't even know there was a hawthorn range... too late now, what a shame

There is a 22LR range in Northcote, Fairfield, Surrey Hills and Oakleigh. A bit further south is Fishermans Bend and further south again Sandringham.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 21 Jun 2015, 3:50 pm

Its a shame its closing.... but I suspect the members didnt really want to promote it too much because it was 'their little club..'... its a dilapidated tin and brick shed... had 'lead contamination' issues for years... what a surprise, but yes, its convenient to shut down a rifle range, those nasty gunses, and who cares about them nowadays anyway...

But the Council had to spend money on the premises to keep it going???? Regardless of the numbers of members it should have been done, look at the dollars spent on football pavilions and tennis clubs, lawn bowls and whatever else..... cant touch those holy grails of sporting pursuits, tennis and footy, right....as far as $1Million..... I call Bull#$%^.!

Worst thing about this is JACK WEGMAN, THE CEO OF SSAA VIC......

IS A BOROONDARA COUNCILLOR!

I wonder what he had to say about this? probably advised them to join the SS.....but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he tried his best :roll:

I say we start a belated campaign to preserve 'a' club at the location; once it reverts to open space - it IS OPEN SPACE for eternity, and certainly lost to any shooting club. I'm familiar with this club, though I have little interest in shooting 20m or whatever rimfire, quite familiar with the location and I know that the space directly ahead of the the back stop was replanted with 'indigenous plantings' for what purpose? the cynic in me would say to prevent the extension of the range..... mongrels..... :evil:

At this location there is space for a 50m and possibly a 100m underground range... therefore unlimited, as opposed to the now defunct rimfire only above ground range.

What say you? anyone with earthmoving equipment or construction capability prepared to front up?? Even if someone want to pledge a fistfull of cash for the cause... I'll cover engineering and design....

This is for shooters.... nothing more, nothing less. Our children and grandchildren deserve to have facilities that they dont need to drive 2 or 3 hours to reach....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jun 2015, 3:56 pm

Nor did I have any idea. They all need to get their collective heads together and let the shooters know they exist. Perhaps a web site or an affilliation with the SSAA.

Might prevent them going under like Hawthorn.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 21 Jun 2015, 4:04 pm

Having newly got my license and rifles (308WIN/22lr) I've done A ton of googling trying to find somewhere to get some trigger time, i've come across a bunch of ranges throughout Victoria, but they all seem to be small exclusive clubs who shoot comp only, i know comp shooters need to practice too. But it seems like no one but the SSAA is whiling to take on the responsibility of letting others have a shoot.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Harts » 23 Jun 2015, 10:45 am

If it was anything other than a shooting range it probably would have got a heritage listing instead :roll:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bluerob » 23 Jun 2015, 12:28 pm

Harts wrote:If it was anything other than a shooting range it probably would have got a heritage listing instead :roll:

With a $5m budget to "upgrade the facilities for future generations and maintain the heritage of this historic piece of land."
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by vexesus » 24 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

There are half collapsed brick walls that are heritage listed :roll:
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 04 Jul 2015, 4:15 pm

so there is no one prepared to take a stand to preserve a metro range??
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jul 2015, 8:14 pm

Rifle clubs are their own worst enemies, they don't activity seek new members, some are very unwelcoming and their boards are full of dead wood like 87 year old presidents. That is no way to run any business, the problem is that they are run by hobbiesists that generally run it like a boys club.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Monty » 06 Jul 2015, 12:05 pm

vexesus wrote:There are half collapsed brick walls that are heritage listed :roll:

There was one here that was an old bread factory I think from memory. Two walls making a corner, no roof or anything else left.

They're turning it into something now but it's been that way for 30 years as far as I can remember.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges