Load testing at 50m

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Load testing at 50m

Post by salate » 26 Oct 2013, 9:00 am

Hi all,

I got some advise that I should do my load testing at 50m instead the 'standard' 100m range to help cut down shooter error.

Shorter distance less affected by me moving and all that.

Are there any problems bullet wise at this shorter distance?

Not enough time for the bullet to stabilize or anything like that that would make load testing at 50m a bad idea?

Ta.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Load testing at 50m

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 26 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

Salate
50 m might be ok to get you on paper and for playing with a 22 .
But in general you would shoot a 100 once you are on paper and where you want to be.
If you are shooting 22 50 is fine, if shooting 223 you would want 100 at least for game shooting and if you where shooting targets you would want to be testing at the range you would be wanting to shoot and so on.
To shoot long range there are so many factors to put in to it, ie es, range to line cal into for distance you want to shoot and so on . There is so much to do and it can be frustrating and also a great achievement when you can put everything together and make it work every time.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Aster » 26 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

For preliminary testing no problem.

Obviously if you compare two loads at 50m and one is clover leaf and the other is 3" then you know you can discard the 3" grouping load completely.

Once you have some good groups at 50m you'd want to test them at 100m though.

More or less equal groups at 50m may well be significantly different at 100m, and further...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Turkle » 26 Oct 2013, 4:06 pm

No harm starting their.

If you're marksmanship isn't gold medal stuff yet go ahead and start at 50 to filter out the obviously dud loads.

Then take the possible winners out to 100m and see what works best.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Spooner » 27 Oct 2013, 1:59 am

Fine to start. You really need to see what it can do (and what you can do) at 100m and further though if you want to do some interesting shooting thought.

Punching paper at 50m will get old real fast.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges