WA Perth Rifle Ranges

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

WA Perth Rifle Ranges

Post by starscream » 17 Jul 2015, 8:10 pm

Hi, i've been interested in getting into the sport of shooting for quite a long time now and i would love to join a rifle club. I have zero experience with firearms and i was hoping that maybe you guys could recommend me a club to join in the Perth region. I want to shoot centerfire rifles using a bipod or rest with targets at least 600 yards away as id love to be able to shoot long ranges and not be limited to only short distances. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA Perth Rifle Ranges

Post by North East » 17 Jul 2015, 9:25 pm

Stick to 100 meters for a while mate....600 meters is a different ball game.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Jul 2015, 12:13 am

Congratulations on making the decision to get involved in the sport and a good first step would be to join the local SSAA http://www.ssaawa.org.au/. SSAA membership should be sufficient to support your "Genuine Reason" for requiring a firearms license, and they should also be able to provide you a list of approved clubs and ranges. Another association is the NRA https://www.nraa.com.au/associations-clubs/ and he link provides a list of clubs in Australia. SSAA / NRA is a bit like the Holden Vrs Ford debate in that both have their fans and detractors, check them both out and make an informed decision on which may suit your needs and beliefs best.

From 0 to 600yd in a single bound is probably a bit of a stretch for new starters for a couple of reasons. To actually achieve a degree of accuracy at that range will require the learning and understand of reloading ammunition and the added expense that entails. Not saying it can't be done but it's a lot to learn if you don't have a knowledgeable friend guiding you. The risk of jumping in the deep end is you may not get the results you expected or enjoy yourself which leads to disappointment. 600yds isn't a huge range but it's far enough that a degree of experience and skill is required along with knowing exactly what the rifle and you are capable of doing.

As with many members here, I started with an air rifle then a 22lr and worked progressively up the calibre ladder as I gained experience and learnt. Buy yourself a good quality 22LR that doesn't break the bank and 10,000 rounds. Hit the range to practise and practise and practise some more till you can consistently hit a 10c coin at 50m. When you can repeat that at 100m look at maybe buying a .223 to get the hang of centre fire and learn how to develop an accurate load by reloading your own ammunition. This exercise will quite likely cost you less in the long run and be more educational along with building some valuable experience. I have everything from .177 air rifle up to 50BMG in the safe and shoot to >1500m but I still hit the 50m range on a regular basis with the .22lr to practise cause if I can't hit a 10c coin at 50m then I'm no chance of hitting a rabbit at 600 plus it's cheap and still a heap of fun. Something to think about in economic terms, 22lr is around 7c a shot, .223 is 79c a shot for Federal 50gr factory rounds and the bigger stuff can cost up to $12 a shot...I know which round I prefer to learn with.

Welcome aboard :)
Brett
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Jul 2015, 1:09 am

As above but i would also add something.

.22lr has no recoil, leaving you to learn the basics and adopt good practices without having to worry about recoil (or flinching...)
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by starscream » 18 Jul 2015, 11:51 am

Thanks for the advice guys! Cant thank you enough for the support and help. Joining the SSAA sounds like a good way to start. They have some really good links and information on their website. Id most certainly be starting at very short distances to learn the basics and key factors in shooting accurately. I only want a range with a good distance because in the future a few years down the track i don't want to have to switch clubs because i am limited to say 100 yards, 200 yards etc..
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Jul 2015, 12:20 am

You're on the right approach, see if you can find a club that covers both 22LR and centre fire bench rest. most people I've come across in the 2 clubs I belong to are all too happy to help the new guy out. I hope you enjoy yourself and feel free to ask questions.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 20 Jul 2015, 12:18 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:.22lr has no recoil

Still a laugh to see people bracing in anticipation of it when shooting for the first time though :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by XP22 » 22 Jul 2015, 12:48 pm

starscream wrote:Hi, i've been interested in getting into the sport of shooting for quite a long time now and i would love to join a rifle club. I have zero experience with firearms and i was hoping that maybe you guys could recommend me a club to join in the Perth region. I want to shoot centerfire rifles using a bipod or rest with targets at least 600 yards away as id love to be able to shoot long ranges and not be limited to only short distances. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Whilst very good advice for some, it is not neccesary to start at 100 with a .22lr.

I have started quite a few people, including juniors, at 200-300m with a .223 F class omark. Without exception all were on paper after the first string of 12 and every single one still shoots. Often learning to shoot distance PROPERLY is a better start to marksmanship.

There may be an issue with "stuffiness" at some Rifle assocation clubs but most members are okay. Generally the standard of loading and equipment is high and the one to one coaching- both shooting and reloading, in some clubs, is unparalleled as regular shoots are at 300-1000.

Here's a good start: http://www.wara.asn.au/ otherwise the SSAA is fine.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by starscream » 24 Jul 2015, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the link XP22. It was extremely helpful. I've contacted quite a few different clubs via email but i haven't gotten a reply from any. Does anyone personally know of any clubs in the Perth region who are looking for new members?
starscream
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by aaronjo » 24 Jul 2015, 7:23 pm

Southern Districts Rifle Club - great bunch of ppl, give them a call.
Beretta 87 Target 22LR
Walther PPQ M2 9mm
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
aaronjo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wheedle » 27 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

XP22 wrote:Whilst very good advice for some, it is not neccesary to start at 100 with a .22lr.

I have started quite a few people, including juniors, at 200-300m with a .223 F class omark.

Agree.

People overstate how important it is to start on a .22lr. IMO.

It's not bad too, but not essential. .223 is an easy as first rifle as well.
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by XP22 » 27 Jul 2015, 10:47 am

wheedle wrote:
XP22 wrote:Whilst very good advice for some, it is not neccesary to start at 100 with a .22lr.

I have started quite a few people, including juniors, at 200-300m with a .223 F class omark.

Agree.

People overstate how important it is to start on a .22lr. IMO.

It's not bad too, but not essential. .223 is an easy as first rifle as well.

The whole .22 thing originated when smallbore was huge and a great training aid for fullbore, positional shooting with iron sights taught trigger, breathing and sight control.

Perhaps nowadays when people get a .22 with a scope and shoot of a bench with bags there isn't quite the skill there used to be? The same with benchrest .22 or centerfire it is more about the equipment than skill.

I have seen some very bad habits brought to the firing line.
XP22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by tiki » 28 Jul 2015, 1:08 pm

People should just start on something sensible, whatever that is for the person.

"They" say never start on a .308 because it's too much gun for a beginner, and for some it is but for others they do fine.

Wouldn't start anyone on a magnum maybe is the only definite :lol:

Anything from a .22lr to .223 to .243 or bigger can be fine depending on the individual shooter. If you're a 100kg tough bloke starting shooting you wouldn't need to start on a .22lr obviously.
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by sandgroperbill » 28 Jul 2015, 1:13 pm

All true, but there are still advantages to starting with a .22lr, the biggest (by far) being cost of ammo.

You can get a LOT more practice for your money, and practice leads to proficiency...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Seik » 04 Aug 2015, 11:06 am

Yep, at cents per shot you can afford to make and learn from a lot of mistakes :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Morne1976 » 18 Sep 2019, 10:07 pm

hi guys

Any recomendations on where to go to zero my .308 rifle north of Perth,is there a range i can go when im not a member of a club yet?Looking at joining a club at the end of the month.
cheers
Morne1976
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges