Today's fun

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Today's fun

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Apr 2016, 7:33 pm

Fun? Not so much. I put some carefully loaded ammo in a hinge-lidded plastic box yesterday. The charges were arranged in rows of three with a scissored-off piece of paper describing the load particulars. Damn thing did a roll-over, spilling every single round from its alloted place, Inside The Box :o :shock: :problem:

I had spent an hour and a half travelling to the range and this happens. Nothing daunted, I decided to fire them and see how the pressure was according to how sticky the lever was to operate. I could remember the maximum charge and reckoned that if operation was sticky on a few, then The charge had to be reduced.

It turned out that this mix up was the least of my problems as no pressure problems were detected with my 464 Mossberg 30/30. To cut a long story short, I had been experiencing failure to fire (with my reloads :oops: ) and vertical stringing in the past and had gone to the range this pm to try a different holding technique for the stringing and to see if the FTF would repeat. In spite of my efforts, both reared their ugly heads.

I can change primers for the FTF but as for the stringing, I'm not so sure. Yes, the loads were an unavoidable mixture of charge weights but there was 6" in the elevation :o Would a difference of 2 grains account for 6" at 50 yards? Initially and with factory ammo, there was no stringing and the barrel was not allowed to cool much either. Today, I exercised some patience and waited between 3 shot groups........about 5 minutes 8-) In addition, I held the fore end tightly, pulling the rifle in to my shoulder, unlike previous visits where the fore end was allowed to sit passively in the cradle of the rest. I did seal the magazine tube channel of the fore end after the initial factory ammo outing. Perhaps that was unwise.......

It's been good talking to you but I can hear the staff wheeling my medication trolley down the corridor and I do tend to somewhat Collapse after treatment so you might want to..............."Oh, you're going!" "Oh well, thanks for listening"
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 22 Apr 2016, 11:13 am

juststarting wrote:I can't get this tune out of my head!

It's called 'work' I guess, the Rhianna song?

Just goes 'work, work, work, work, work' and the mumbles a bunch of other garbled mess.

Stuck in my f***ing head for hours this morning after hearing the radio :evil:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Apr 2016, 11:33 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:...............It's been good talking to you but I can hear the staff wheeling my medication trolley down the corridor and I do tend to somewhat Collapse after treatment so you might want to..............."Oh, you're going!" "Oh well, thanks for listening"

Been on medication you say Wm.Traynor....... :wtf:

ok. we're here for you bud :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Apr 2016, 1:04 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:...............It's been good talking to you but I can hear the staff wheeling my medication trolley down the corridor and I do tend to somewhat Collapse after treatment so you might want to..............."Oh, you're going!" "Oh well, thanks for listening"

Been on medication you say Wm.Traynor....... :wtf:

ok. we're here for you bud :friends:

Thankyou mate. I think I needed to Vent :) I wish I could take some "insight medication" that would tell me what to do, now that you mention my fragile psyche 8-) Come to think of it I prolly shoulda posted in Gunsmithing.
You see the power of therapy, mate? I'm starting to think already :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by chacka » 10 Jun 2016, 10:50 am

Supporter wrote:Stuck in my f***ing head for hours this morning after hearing the radio :evil:

Don't burden the rest of us by reminding us! :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges