The Lilydale Rifle Club

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

The Lilydale Rifle Club

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2016, 12:49 am

Just wondering if this club is still alive and going, any members?

The Lilydale Rifle Club
www.lilydalerifleclub.com.au/index.htm

Seems like a good place to shoot for me, but looks like they are long gone.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: The Lilydale Rifle Club

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Feb 2016, 3:06 am

G'day juststarting,
Lilydale RC share Upper Yarra Range at Wesburn with Diamond Valley and are still in operation. They shoot NRA only on Saturday afternoons and you would be expected to buy a target rifle in one of the two the approved calibers, 223 or 308. You can "sight in" a hunting rifle after the days comp if there is time, but they do not like hunting rifles being used for competition. You could contact the VRA for Lilydale's club captain, Peter Maher's phone number if you are keen to get into Fullbore Rifle shooting, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 7:01 am

So, no f-class, just target rifle?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 12 Feb 2016, 7:17 am

With those boys clubs dotted around, its pretty much conform to exactly what they do, and do it how they do it or don't bother
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2016, 7:55 am

Hrmmm, not planing to be buying a target rifle. :/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 8:02 am

AusTac wrote:With those boys clubs dotted around, its pretty much conform to exactly what they do, and do it how they do it or don't bother

I guess if that is the focus of their club, then that is their business. Seems very restrictive and a recipe for a long slow fade to black, though.

juststarting wrote:Hrmmm, not planing to be buying a target rifle. :/

Neither did i until i started shoot a bit of f-class for experience at longer distances. The only thing stopping from building a Barnard now is cash flow! :lol: :unknown: :thumbsup: :violin: :violin: :violin:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 12 Feb 2016, 8:40 am

Pretty much the only place in vic to go for a centrefire shoot is little river unfortunately, if you have a game license you can " sight in " ( couple of shots ) but thats it really i'm sure you've heard it all before. It's a shame as i'm north east melbourne also
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

Why not start your own "Nth E Melb Club" and approach Upper Yarra Range about booking time for organised shoots under your own format. It would take some work and fund raising, training for official range officers, commitment to help maintain range/contribute funds for such, etc.. You could probably drum up more members from here and people you meet at Little River than they have for the FB-TR clubs.

Or, get a few people together and approach the existing clubs about including a different but related full bore discipline like F-TR, F-standard & F-open. We have a local range that is shared by two clubs. We all shoot together both target rifle and f-class. Couldn't hurt to try, particularly if you approach them with 3 or 4 people wanting to do it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Boss4b » 12 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

I can't remember what it's called but the club in yering is open a mate lives a km up the road and you can here people shooting all the time
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

G'day Boss4b,
That would be Melbourne Gun Club, a shotgun range, and a jolly good one at that!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 12 Feb 2016, 3:35 pm

Uh, was after center fire range. I am however a member of Frankston one, my weekend mornings clay shooting to start the day :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 17 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

juststarting wrote:Uh, was after center fire range. I am however a member of Frankston one, my weekend mornings clay shooting to start the day :)

Is the Franga club centrefire or rimfire only like Springvale?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

Frankston - shotgun only.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by aRTe2017 » 16 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

The Lilydale Rifle Club still exists and have a growing membership!

We shoot a range of Club competitions every week for both Target Rifle and 3 versions of F-Class. F-Standard (Sames as Target Rifle specs but with scope & Bipod), F/TR and F-Open. All are heavy barrel, single shot target rifles built for the competition.

All competitions are shot on electronic targets from 300 through to 700 yards. (Some competitions actually go back to 1000 or 1200 yards on other ranges)

The reason we don't typically allow hunting rifles to compete, is most are not capable of holding a group at these ranges past 3 or 4 shots. (Most comps are 10 to 20 shots in a short time period) The barrel gets too hot and the group walks around and off the target. One sensor for the target is worth around $100 and if shot out, shooting on that target is done until it is replaced. Simple really.

Now some heavier barrel hunting/tactical rifles can hold a group. We are more than happy to entertain them, typically in F-Open because they are not .308 or .223 calibres. The range is licensed to 8mm so NO .338's or bigger. We are not allowed to use muzzle brakes and there are weight restrictions for each class.

If you are interested, please make contact through the web site. We usually request you attend the first week without a rifle for a chat about the sport and to help you assess if it is what you want to do. We also assess the rifle you have and confirm if it is suitable and arrange a time for you to have a go with it. We have Club Target Rifles available for new shooters that would like to try the sport. Same contact procedure.

To be blunt, we don't bite. However we are VERY safety conscious and have strict rules we must follow, both from the NRAA as well as from Vic Police who license the range for use. We are not going to make any exceptions for poor attitude, unsafe practices or firearms. The Range Officer and/or Club Captain have final say on proceedings for the day.

Yours in Shooting,
Lilydale Rifle Club
Upper Yarra Rifle Range
aRTe2017
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2017, 11:29 am

My F Class rifle is a Remington Sendero with a flute 26 inch S/S barrel in 7mm Rem Mag.So this would be appropriate??
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 1:42 pm

To aRTe2017:

Safety is paramount in any shooting discipline so I totally understand your stance on people complying to your protocols or taking a hike. As president of our local full bore club, I can totally relate. However, I'd like to encourage you to reconsider the growth limiting attitude toward sporting rifles for new comers. Here is a relevant anecdote: last season, our club secretary sold his Savage (f110 or what ever they are called) to finance a new rifle built on a Barnard action with a Bartlien barrel and his own custom vblock bedded stock. While waiting for the build, he shot with his older Sako hunter in 6.5x55 against Barnard, Musgrave and various other dedicated f-class rifles. He consistently shot high in the rankings and occasionally registered highest score. All this with a hunting weight rifle on a versipod hunting bi-pod. Was this the ideal rig? No. Is he shooting better with his new Barnard 6.5x55? Well, obviously so. The point is, though, that had we ruled him ineligible to shoot with a hunter weight rifle we would have driven him away. Same with new shooters. Our attitude is let them have a go. They will soon figure out what they need and if they enjoy the challenge enough to invest the money in updating the gear. Not everyone wants to be world champion and not everyone with custom target rigs can keep up with a good shooter with a 'lower quality' rifle.

That said, we have also initiated a new "comp" or "category" known in the 'states' as F-class Practical. The 'Cyclist & Torrans' club in Sth Aus started using this discipline a few years back, calling it their 'hunter class'. Taking a leaf from their book, we started running this at 300yds about once a month in Jan 2017. It has proven quite popular, bringing in new members and giving them a chance to try the sport with their existing gear on a level playing field. A few of these guys are now looking to invest in fclass rigs but are keen to continue with 'hunter class' as well. Both myself and the Secretary also shoot this category as well as f-class and it is more of a challenge than you may expect. This season we will also be shooting it out at 500yd.

Just something to think about. Full-bore is rapidly shrinking with very few younger shooters choosing this discipline due to overly strict or snobby attitudes in the existing fraternity. With out some forward thinking there will be no-one to shoot against in future, as judging by the average age on the mound at prize meets, this is literally a dying sport! I have been in touch with NRAA chairman, Bob Pederson, about this after our club's January Prize Meet and he has been supportive of the initiative.

If you'd like more info, send me a Private Message.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Aug 2017, 2:55 pm

Good stuff, mate. I'd love to be able to upgrade to a Barnard or similar. Still using a rebarrelled Howa. Like I suggested, I'm in no hurry to be really 'competitive' I just enjoy the challenge of shooting my rig as well as I can.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges