Shooting "range" in Northern Tasmania

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Shooting "range" in Northern Tasmania

Post by zobster » 04 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm

This question is particularly directed towards members from northern tassie.

Where can I go to zero my rifle? I know that I'm allowed 3 trips per year to SSAA ranges to do that. I tried it once and let's just say I don't feel comfortable there :oops: .

I'm looking for a safe spot where I can set up targets at 100-300m to zero my rifle. Its also for me to do general shooting practice every couple or so weeks, just to keep my aim sharp. I'm definitely getting into reloading so I will need a spot where I can test the loads I'm developing.

Any spots you guys can suggest?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Shooting "range" in Northern Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 04 Mar 2016, 11:35 pm

Look up small bore and full bore shooting, Nth Tas. The range is somewhere down near sassafras.

At this stage, we don't shoot under 500 unless we have to at our club. I'm told 300 is too easy but I'm yet to be convinced of that on a breezy day.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by zobster » 07 Mar 2016, 7:49 am

I thought of joining one of the rifle clubs, like VDC or something, they shoot at westbury. But the problem with them is that although I have access to a proper range, access is at the pleasure of the club. Usually it's on a Saturday but sometimes it gets cancelled and such.

I just want to know of a proper "spot" with a straight 100m bit with some sort of a backstop that I can go to as and when I like. All the spots I currently know of is either undulating or it's too short. My favorite spot is now a road-base "mine", some local likes to come out and collect road-base when I'm practicing.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm

As Gwion said, the range near sassafras would be a good choice. I've visited it before and it is a great quiet spot to go out and sight in/plink as long as you put the flags up and be responsible. I blew the gong off there a couple of weeks back with the 303 25. Fun stuff
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 07 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

You mean to say the range could be access during daylight hours? No need for club event etc?

Which club do you have to join for access to that range? Tasmanian Rifle Association?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 1:52 pm

zobster wrote:You mean to say the range could be access during daylight hours? No need for club event etc?

Which club do you have to join for access to that range? Tasmanian Rifle Association?

Well I was talking about the SSAA one you can use on weekdays and most weekends.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by AusTac » 07 Mar 2016, 1:55 pm

^ That right there is a bloody brilliant idea! Even for Tasmanians.. :D
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by zobster » 07 Mar 2016, 2:03 pm

Heckler303 wrote:
zobster wrote:You mean to say the range could be access during daylight hours? No need for club event etc?

Well I was talking about the SSAA one you can use on weekdays and most weekends.

I'm guessing you are talking about the sheffield ssaa branch T06?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Heckler303 » 07 Mar 2016, 3:59 pm

zobster wrote:
Heckler303 wrote:

I'm guessing you are talking about the sheffield ssaa branch T06?

Whoops, mix up with what I was trying to talk about. I was talking about a SSAA range out at sassafras pretty far into some forest where its piece and quiet. The Sheffield SSAA range is below average IMO and I've found usually not occupied with the friendliest of people I have to admit.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by philski » 09 Mar 2016, 3:44 am

HI

I shoot with Sheffield rifle club (TRA) and we are trying to involve other sport shooting on our range. 300 yards is the shortest at present.

We shoot every Saturday at 1pm. cost $5.

hope that helps
Phillip
philski
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 09 Mar 2016, 10:24 am

philski wrote:HI

I shoot with Sheffield rifle club (TRA) and we are trying to involve other sport shooting on our range. 300 yards is the shortest at present.

hope that helps
Phillip

Thanks!
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Diesel » 15 Mar 2016, 12:22 pm

Heckler303 wrote:

It is members access only.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Diesel » 15 Mar 2016, 12:33 pm

hope that helps
Phillip

Are you serious about this, it would be a nicer change? In the past the Sheffield club has invited SSAA members to shoot and after the shoot presented them with signup forms if they wanted to come again?
There was also a lot of frowning when someone wanted to use their .303 or a scoped hunting rifle?
I exclusively shoot SSAA now(about five years now since I left the TRA) as a few of us were given a hard time from John Hope about using .303's military and hunting rifles even though we were doing it outside of fullbore or F class shoots. I also shot fullbore at the time.

It would be nice but I won't personally hold my breath.

There is a Long range shoot at the Campbelltown TRA range next month, SSAA run. If anyone is interested- 400,500,600 and 700. 25 shots at each range over two days.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gregg » 05 Apr 2016, 10:41 am

You guys can't zero in a forest?
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 02 Mar 2018, 9:49 am

Diesel wrote:

hope that helps
Phillip

Are you serious about this, it would be a nicer change? In the past the Sheffield club has invited SSAA members to shoot and after the shoot presented them with signup forms if they wanted to come again?
There was also a lot of frowning when someone wanted to use their .303 or a scoped hunting rifle?
I exclusively shoot SSAA now(about five years now since I left the TRA) as a few of us were given a hard time from John Hope about using .303's military and hunting rifles even though we were doing it outside of fullbore or F class shoots. I also shot fullbore at the time.

It would be nice but I won't personally hold my breath.

There is a Long range shoot at the Campbelltown TRA range next month, SSAA run. If anyone is interested- 400,500,600 and 700. 25 shots at each range over two days.

You'll all be glad to know that these issues are now well and truly a thing of the past.
Club management is happy for new shooters too come along. We allow people to shoot as a guest up to 6 times a year; more than that and we ask you to join the club.
We now have a division of shooting that allows hunting/varmint rifle between 223 & 8mm to shoot between 300-500-600yds. We are happy for you to bring any legal rifle that falls with in our range licence (8mm max) and shoot along side us.
We have sight in days, the occasional rimfire shoot which we would like to do more of and run an Anzac Day shoot that is a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge.

If you want more info: sheffield.rifles@gmail.com
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Hawkeye » 27 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm

Smith & others road sassafras is a great place for what you are looking for,it’s nice and quiet just put the flags away when you leave they shoot club every second Sunday of the month.!!! Hope that helps
Hawkeye
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 27 Aug 2020, 6:20 pm

Why not just go and ask a farmer politely?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Aug 2020, 6:55 pm

2 years since previous, last reply - I reckon he’s shot a couple off by now lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 29 Jun 2021, 7:52 pm

Farmerpete wrote:Why not just go and ask a farmer politely?

Honestly, I'm a little afraid. I've been told to f off in very colourful language by basically every farmer I've door knocked.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 29 Jun 2021, 7:54 pm

TassieTiger wrote:2 years since previous, last reply - I reckon he’s shot a couple off by now lol.

LOL
I've been to the sassafras range several times now. Good little spot to zero and do load development. I'm heading up there this Thursday if anyone is keen to join. Need to zero the 308, I'm convinced that it's the rifle and not me that's missing the target.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jun 2021, 10:07 pm

zobster wrote:

Honestly, I'm a little afraid. I've been told to f off in very colourful language by basically every farmer I've door knocked.

Something definitely not right there. I can't think of any farmer that wouldn't give you a polite "no" if they weren't interested, and none that would use colorful language except in jest.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 29 Jun 2021, 11:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:
zobster wrote:

Something definitely not right there. I can't think of any farmer that wouldn't give you a polite "no" if they weren't interested, and none that would use colorful language except in jest.

Basically I go up to their door, knock, introduce myself, ask if it's possible to sight in my rifle, do the occasional load development and if I could come by and harvest deer regularly. I also state that I'm happy to drop all the wallabies that I come across if that's what they want.
The reply I get range from the p*** off, to f*** away, to give back to where I come from.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by dpskipper » 30 Jun 2021, 9:37 pm

zobster wrote:I also state that I'm happy to drop all the wallabies that I come across if that's what they want.

Is that expressly legal? Probably not a good idea to openly state to a farmer your willing to commit a crime on his property.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JD3006 » 01 Jul 2021, 11:43 am

zobster wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:2 years since previous, last reply - I reckon he’s shot a couple off by now lol.

LOL
I've been to the sassafras range several times now. Good little spot to zero and do load development. I'm heading up there this Thursday if anyone is keen to join. Need to zero the 308, I'm convinced that it's the rifle and not me that's missing the target.

Hi, came across this post whilst searching for a range to zero a rifle. This Sassafras range sounds good especially if like minded people attend.

Is it associated with a club? Or is it just drop in and use at will, I haven’t been able to find any sassafras clubs online.

I would be after visiting it on a weekend due to work.

Thanks
JD3006
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Blackbluff » 17 Aug 2021, 2:41 pm

dpskipper wrote:
zobster wrote:I also state that I'm happy to drop all the wallabies that I come across if that's what they want.

Is that expressly legal? Probably not a good idea to openly state to a farmer your willing to commit a crime on his property.

Yes. Most farmers have permits to control wallabies which is transferable to shooters on their land. It's wise to get that permission in writing, though I never had a shooter ask for it when hunting on my farm. Always said yes, just leave me one or two skinned for the dogs.
Blackbluff
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges