Public range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Public range

Post by bluerob » 11 Mar 2016, 10:26 am

I'm a member of a few pistol and rifle (target) clubs. I no longer hunt to to medical issues.

I've got alot of time on my hands now and would love to spend time at a range, shooting out to 600m. We have practice days in our club, which isn't that often. As the saying goes "practice makes purpose." I know that when I was working, I had to play golf, sometimes up to 4 times a week (those corporate days). Well, after about 6 months, my game and ball hitting improved, exponentially. The same would apply to target shooting, surely? If physically able, I could play golf at 4 local courses. Nothing shooting wise, apart from my pistol club. Thankfully, we open twice per week.

There is nowhere in NSW that I'm aware of that provides weekday access to any ranges (viz a viz Belmont range in QLD) for practice. Some have mid week comps, but, simply "going for a blast" doesn't exist.

I know that there's Silverdale in western Sydney and the SSAA range at St Marys, but, range length isn't that far. Shooting a .22 target rifle at my pistol club (we are licenced for rifle also) is great, but, time behind what you shoot on actual comp days (I shoot. 308 Win) would be better.

I guess the cost of setting up a commercial range/business that has the required fallout to shoot say up to .338 Lap isn't a viable option and with the cost of land on NSW seaboard being huge, it'll never happen, unless a very wealthy shooter comes along.

There has to be some venture capitalist guys that are regular shooters that could get something going? Buying Dick Smith for $70m and then reaping $500m, well, these guys could show us how? :sarcasm:

Any thoughts?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Public range

Post by Tiiger » 16 Mar 2016, 9:52 am

I think Brett is the man to speak to.

He's done a bit of the legwork already I believe :D
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 08 Jun 2016, 10:03 am

I wonder how the clearing is going, the dozer was hard at work last he posted :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 08 Jun 2016, 10:43 am

Tiiger wrote:I think Brett is the man to speak to.

He's done a bit of the legwork already I believe :D

Brett

Have you finished building your range?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 08 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

You can always come down to Warrnambool and shoot at our 1000 yard range :D
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 08 Jun 2016, 1:56 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:You can always come down to Warrnambool and shoot at our 1000 yard range :D

Thanks for the offer, but, a 10 hour drive is a bit much for me for a day of shooting.

I guess I just have to be patient and wait until Saturday & Sunday.

Or win Lotto and build my own somewhere....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Jun 2016, 11:50 am

Hey bluerob
If Canberra is a do-able drive, a range pass at the SSAA Majura gives you 24/7 access to a 500m range apart from competition days.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 21 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Hey bluerob
If Canberra is a do-able drive, a range pass at the SSAA Majura gives you 24/7 access to a 500m range apart from competition days.

Thanks mate.

I think I'll stick with my local places which are open on weekends and sometimes during the week, but, limited to 100m for rifle and 50m for pistol. Can shoot longer distance on weekends.

If I was 1-2 hours, I'd probably be a regular at SSAA Majura, but, I've been hammering the SSAA on political stuff and I'm no longer a member.

Thanks again!
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 21 Jun 2016, 7:17 pm

Hi Bluerob,

I have not being there but this range is pretty new i think but does not seem to be open much only the 1 club it seems.

https://sportandrecreation.nsw.gov.au/a ... c/planning
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

bentaz wrote:Move to Victoria.

Really? I'm not aware of any public ranges down this way.
I talked to Rosedale where they have a thousand yard F-Class range about load development if I became a member.
I'd still need an RO even if I was the only shooter there so it'd be a matter of teeing something up with somebody else that was free and didn't mind spending the day watching me shoot, possible but hardly easy. F-Class shooters don't seem to like to shoot much as it wears out their barrels, but I would happily spend a day shooting several hundred rounds through several rifles. The only thing that has so far kept me from getting into F-Class is the lack of shooting, just doesn't seem worth driving out to the range just to shoot a handful of shots then drive home again, especially when I can shoot 500 yards here at home any time I feel like it. I really don't see why an RO is required if there is only one person shooting? Obviously two shooters can RO for each other, although I'm sure they said that it required training or something to be an RO?

When I was shooting IPSC in Perth we were free to go to the range during the week and shoot as much as we wanted. Just had to keep the gate locked and pack away any range props I used. Wasn't even any charge on top of our membership fee. As I lived five minutes from the range I spent many a pleasant afternoon up there on my own.

So, if there are ranges here in Victoria that have public access I'm definitely interested.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 30 Jun 2016, 8:40 am

Hangfire wrote:Hi Bluerob,

I have not being there but this range is pretty new i think but does not seem to be open much only the 1 club it seems.

https://sportandrecreation.nsw.gov.au/a ... c/planning

Thanks for that.

I wonder when the NSW Govt is going to build a range complex on the Central or Mid Coast area - there's a ton of available land that could be used, but, isn't (the areas susceptible to subsidence) that's open 7 days per week.

Maybe building a range on top of a mined area might not be wise - sink holes (there was one at Swansea Headlands a few months ago).
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 30 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm

Not to be a negative nancy but i don't think you'll find any ' official ' range that has public access, without a RO the skys open up, the world falls apart and everyone gets shot.

You'd probably be best to become an RO to have a chance at that, or join a non ssaa facility/exclusive boys club

* i do appreciate all that the RO's do for the sport and the time that they give up before everyone starts banging on about that they have a tough job
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2016, 8:50 pm

AusTac wrote:Not to be a negative nancy but i don't think you'll find any ' official ' range that has public access, without a RO the skys open up, the world falls apart and everyone gets shot.

You'd probably be best to become an RO to have a chance at that, or join a non ssaa facility/exclusive boys club

* i do appreciate all that the RO's do for the sport and the time that they give up before everyone starts banging on about that they have a tough job

Any idea on what's involved in becoming Range Officer qualified then? Would I then be able to RO myself or would I still need another RO?

Absolutely agree about RO's, they do enough without expecting somebody to give up even more time to RO a single shooter.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

Don't the SSAA do an RO course?

Could be wrong but I think I remember such a thing being mentioned here somewhere.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jul 2016, 2:57 pm

Yes they do, contact your nearest branch. As for a range on the central coast try Karriong, don't know anything about the range itself, but know a couple of fella's that shoot there.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2016, 4:42 pm

Thanks guys :-)
I'm becoming less and less impressed with SSAA though. I just don't see that they do anything at all to promote firearms ownership to the general public. I don't think there are any SSAA ranges South of Melbourne? Lilydale certainly have no SSAA affiliation, and appear to also be on the side of the anti-shooters in their efforts to promote the sport, just from looking at their website - http://www.lilydalerifleclub.com.au/

However, getting an RO ticket is a good idea. But would it allow me to shoot on my own or would I still need to rope in somebody else to RO for me? Having the ticket would allow me to offer to do the same for others though, and I'll happily spend a day at the range just about any time :-).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges