IPSC Help

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

IPSC Help

Post by snake_pliskin » 18 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

Hi I am new to the board here, but I could not see any recent info on IPSC shooting in Sydney? I have tried several disciplines of longarm shooting, and finding it can be boring.

I have had a bit of a look at the IPSC NSW web site, and want more information. I understand that it is a discipline of pistol shooting, I am just not sure how many clubs are active in Sydney at the moment, I am based in the SW of Sydney, I would assume I will have to travel.. is anyone out there up to speed on this?
snake_pliskin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: IPSC Help

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2016, 8:06 am

No one has replied, so, I'll have a go.

Contact St Ives Pistol Club in Sydney. From what I am hearing, these guys are long time players of IPSC (I had a play in 2001 at St Ives - great fun). I gave hand guns away then (female acquisition....) and now I'm a cripple, I can't play!

I think Liverpool/Campbelltown also have an IPSC.

Contact the NSW IPSC crowd and they'll put you in the right direction. There might be a dedicated IPSC forum (like F-Class shooters have).

Its great fun, can be expensive (race guns are insane looking things), but, there's many guys having fun with $1,000 standard Glocks.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snake_pliskin » 19 Mar 2016, 8:18 am

Thanks mate, I'll drop a few more emails around
snake_pliskin
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 19 Mar 2016, 8:54 am

You say your in sw sydney i would ring St Marys or Blacktown pistol clubs both do IPSC may be closer to you than ST IVES
Firstly i assume you have your H class on your licence
The training for ipsc is one full weekend its fairly intense as well. When i done the training there was 3 blokes in the groupe bagging the coppersalll the time getting a bit over the top too when the instructor asked any serving police all 3 of them put their hands up all sorts of people doing the training .
If i remember rightly the dont do the trainng that often and places fill realy quickly it took me some time to get a place
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 17 Jun 2016, 1:59 pm

I'm assuming this as an outsider here but is it a laws thing that not many people are into pistols here?

Everyone loves their rifles here but not a lot of other stuff?
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by AusTac » 17 Jun 2016, 2:04 pm

Mich wrote:I'm assuming this as an outsider here but is it a laws thing that not many people are into pistols here?

Cat H is a bit harder to get than your average cat a/b rifle shotty license, cost can fairly high too especially if shooting competativelly which is a condition of holding a handgun license in aus, must compete 3 times a year minimum which sucks
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigM » 17 Jun 2016, 2:56 pm

The only reason to have a pistol is Target Shooting so you need to be a member of a pistol club to get and keep your license. Metro clubs are typically $5-600 per year but this normally includes all range fees and targets. Some clubs give deductions for doing working bees etc. Rural clubs can be about $300.

For a cat H you do your club training then apply for a probationary license ($100). First 6 months you cannot purchase a pistol. Second 6 months you can purchase 2 pistols.
Say; training 1 month, wait for license 1 month, 6 month probationary license, 1 month wait for PTA (Permit to Acquire) so easy 9 months before you have your own pistol. This does not include waiting for the model you want as the shipments always sell out quickly.

As your reason is Target Shooting, in NSW, you must shoot a minimum of 6 matches a year.
If you have more than 1 class then 4 shoots per class. Three classes; air, rimfire and centrefire.
If you have no pistols you still have to shoot 6 matches to keep your license. Not all states have this requirement.

Many clubs have some minimum participation requirements before doing IPSC ie 12 rimfire shoots or similar.

Then you do a IPSC safety/holster course.
This is mainly safety oriented; finger off when moving, conscious of muzzle direction at all times etc.
This is not about accurate shooting but about making sure that your handling is safe.

Then apply for IPSC membership, currently $100 year.

Blacktown and St Ives are the most active clubs in Sydney. I believe St Marys does some indoor stuff.
Further out Bowral, Newcastle and Newtec also do IPSC.

Basically pick one of these clubs, go thru the process and we will see you in a year.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Crrrock » 07 Aug 2016, 3:10 pm

Shooters Union NSW shoots IPSC indoors at Auburn or Concord I think. 0499148814, Daniel, is the secretary. He will put you straight.
I'm building a Shooters Union outdoor range at Boorowa, 3.5 hours from Campbelltown, and we will have IPSC and Steel Challenge so should be (fingers crossed) approved for up to 45 ACP.

just sayin'.
Mike.
Crrrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2016, 3:49 pm

Mich wrote:I'm assuming this as an outsider here but is it a laws thing that not many people are into pistols here?

I shot IPSC pistols for 13 years, got it out of my system so little interest now.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ItsMe » 07 Aug 2016, 10:35 pm

snake_pliskin wrote:Hi I am new to the board here, but I could not see any recent info on IPSC shooting in Sydney? I have tried several disciplines of longarm shooting, and finding it can be boring.

I have had a bit of a look at the IPSC NSW web site, and want more information. I understand that it is a discipline of pistol shooting, I am just not sure how many clubs are active in Sydney at the moment, I am based in the SW of Sydney, I would assume I will have to travel.. is anyone out there up to speed on this?

How did you get on with this?

As mentioned earlier by @bigM, it takes a good while thanks to our laws until you can own your own pistol/s then there's training and qualification courses. A 12 month timeline to competition is a good guide.

I'm a member at Blacktown, membership is around $600 but once you have your own gear, practice is free. The club has a number of different outdoor ranges for all the different pistol disciplines. Working bees earn you discounts off of your membership.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Elek » 08 Aug 2016, 3:07 pm

Lots more hoops to jump through, and continue jumping through to keep a pistol license.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges