need a bigger range at ripley

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

need a bigger range at ripley

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 26 Mar 2016, 3:37 pm

I am normally a very tolerant person, polite if someone asks to have a look at the rifle that I'm shooting ill let anyone have a look and a shoot if they ask, I honestly believe that we are one big shooting family. Yesterday however was probably the worst day I have ever had at the Ripley range. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt tried to help him out as best I could ultimately by 2pm he was the last guy on the range. didn't matter what you did the guy was just a hindrance to the entire range. ultimately I left before I had accomplished what I set out to do. but what can you do I spose.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: need a bigger range at ripley

Post by Heckler303 » 26 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

Ehh.... so what exactly happened?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by TheDude » 26 Mar 2016, 4:16 pm

yeah, what happened? its usually pretty good there.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 26 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

Late 40s guy trying to bore scope rifle. Took a shot at 50 didnt hit paper started heckling everyone claimed to be a x sas sniper shot everything under the sun. I attempted upon his request to assist him 20 minutes later back to my bench at one point he lobbed a 300 win mag case at a bloke. I was there at 12 left at 2. Like i said i can tolleate a gair deal but this guy come 2 was the only man left oh and on that not every one was at opposite endeds of the benches
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 26 Mar 2016, 9:32 pm

Sometimes at the range you see funny stuff other time I pack up Quick ,
In the last 12 months I have watched a guy trying to sight in at about 2 feet from target It sorta worked.
another had sight on backwards funnest was a guy who was adjusting the turrets on his scope and nothing moving he got a bit agro till i showed him to remover the caps deadset he had adjusted the caps up and down heaps its funny tho they all were something in some army or other told one i was in the Salvation army for one tour and left it at that he asked if thats who taught me to shoot made some funny coment but i dont think he understood what army it was .
If someone gets Agro and throwing things ask to have the range officer remove them . If someone make a formal complaint to SSAA they must act
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 27 Mar 2016, 12:48 am

I personally thought about that to tell you the truth. I have come from a security background and know how to deal verbally with a person and physically if need be. In the same token though i dont want to be know as the guy at the range who has a sook. Like i said provided i dont run into the same guy again. As most people have said most of the guys at ripley are a great bunch and i couldnt disagree with you there :drinks:
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wes » 31 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:at one point he lobbed a 300 win mag case at a bloke

Childish s**t.

Guy needed to be booted by the RO, first and final warning IMO.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gunner41battery » 31 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

i was at ripply the weekend before easter and saw a super hero dressed in boots, multicam shorts and a under plate carrier tactical shirt. he had a cammed up lever action. need i say more?
.22 Mossberg 802 Plinkster
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 31 Mar 2016, 12:38 pm

Gunner41battery wrote:i was at ripply the weekend before easter and saw a super hero dressed in boots, multicam shorts and a under plate carrier tactical shirt. he had a cammed up lever action. need i say more?

Tacticool soldier of misfortune lever action, probably the closest hes gonna get to a semi lol, and sorry if i miss read but do you mean he physically threw a cartridge at someone?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gunner41battery » 31 Mar 2016, 7:39 pm

he wore a patch on the shirt that was liberty lions. i can't be assed looking it up into detail. i cringe thinking about wearing any cammo to a range it's just a kinda unwritten law.
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 31 Mar 2016, 10:40 pm

Gunner41battery wrote:i was at ripply the weekend before easter and saw a super hero dressed in boots, multicam shorts and a under plate carrier tactical shirt. he had a cammed up lever action. need i say more?

pretty sure I saw that guy. That was the day they had the bench rest comp on at the first few benches? I was half way down the line with the black powder rifles.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gunner41battery » 01 Apr 2016, 2:48 pm

TheDude wrote:

pretty sure I saw that guy. That was the day they had the bench rest comp on at the first few benches? I was half way down the line with the black powder rifles.

yep that was the day. i was about 3 or so benchs down from you choking on your fog of war lol. bit off topic but the black powders have a nicer boom rather then a bang of modern powder.
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 01 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

Gunner41battery wrote:
TheDude wrote:
Gunner41battery wrote:yep that was the day. i was about 3 or so benchs down from you choking on your fog of war lol. bit off topic but the black powders have a nicer boom rather then a bang of modern powder.

sorry :D it was calm at times so smoke was just hanging there.

they do have a nice sound. a lot more of a slower push rather than a punch for recoil too
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Apr 2016, 6:38 pm

AusTac wrote:

Tacticool soldier of misfortune lever action, probably the closest hes gonna get to a semi lol, and sorry if i miss read but do you mean he physically threw a cartridge at someone?

Yep hit the nail on the head
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Heckler303 » 01 Apr 2016, 8:24 pm

Jeez, he actually got a firearms license?
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 01 Apr 2016, 9:54 pm

Dude was just a wierdo as for throwing a case a tool sadly more people are devolved from humans to tools these days
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sarki » 13 Apr 2016, 3:13 pm

Gunner41battery wrote:bit off topic but the black powders have a nicer boom rather then a bang of modern powder.

Gentle to shoot too. Completely different experience.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gunner41battery » 23 Apr 2016, 3:49 pm

i saw the super hero again today but thankfully he was only wearing the shorts today not the full kit.
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Apr 2016, 4:54 pm

We had a super hero at my range today.. Shooting some tacticool long range thing shooting ..338 with the expected muzzle brake. Shooting out to a massive 25m.

Yes 25 metres, not 250metres 25metres.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by dman69 » 25 Apr 2016, 8:16 pm

I know it takes all types, but that's starting to push the envelope! All we can do is not encourage them.... pretty hard some days...
dman69
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 29 Apr 2016, 9:17 pm

Anyone know if ripley will be open on this coming monday public holiday? belmont has competitions on so is closed most of this weekend.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 29 Apr 2016, 9:58 pm

Not sure about Monday.

Always sucks when Belmont is closed. Gets crazy busy out at Ripley with the extras heading out there. Always feel sorry for the ROs on those days having to remind the Belmont guys to get their rifles off the benches during ceasefires.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gunner41battery » 29 Apr 2016, 10:37 pm

bugger i'll be there sunday with my .22lr and a learner. might get there extra early to score a bench
Gunner41battery
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Curr4n » 07 Aug 2016, 9:53 pm

Hey guys new to shooting most likely use ripley range hope to meet some of you helpful people when I finally get up there, and not into the weekend warrior types haha
Curr4n
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 08 Aug 2016, 11:30 am

Not being a public range shooter I have to ask where do put your rifles if you have to remove them from the bench during ceasefire? I hear bits and prices like this from various SSAA ranges and struggle to understand why there are different rules for different ranges given they're all SSAA.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

Noisydad wrote:Not being a public range shooter I have to ask where do put your rifles if you have to remove them from the bench during ceasefire? I hear bits and prices like this from various SSAA ranges and struggle to understand why there are different rules for different ranges given they're all SSAA.

A lot of the ranges are privately owned as such but fly under the SSAA banner (Belmont is one from memory) and I know of at least one other I used to be a member of, they were great to deal with, we could have loaded mags etc - no anal retentive BS like some others and the last one I was a member of was fine too, we could load mags there no worries at all.

Sadly the ranges are full of "Tactical Retards" most of whom can't shoot for s**t (they are the ones dressed in Camo from head to toe generally) :lol: when ya see one just f*** off down the other end of the range if you can and you should be right, the other one that always made me laugh was the dude who had the expensive gear and couldn't shoot for s**t :lol: you'd check their groups out and it looked like they were shot with a shotgun :lol: $5K still didn't turn em into snipers much to their amazement :lol: :lol:

Ol mate who was trying to hit the target at 50M should have probably gotten a mirror and put it up again the scope and align the X-hair - sounds like they were way off centre. :unknown: once that's done, shoot 1 shot, keeping the rifle steady and X-hairs where he was aiming originally adust the X-hairs to the bullet hole, now everything is lined up and you should be good to go (might need a little adjustment to fine tune) but generally that will get you shooting straight real quick) not like some of these dumbarses who shoot a heap of rounds and still can't get it sorted right :lol: - I seen two coppers or rangers can't remember now but they were f***ing around for ages trying to hit the target, I got sick of hearing the carry on so went down there and helped them out, took a shot at a target at 50m and just did what I described above and had it sorted in 2 shots much to their amazement - they would have wasted a good 40rnds I reckon farting around doing it the way they were, anyway soon had em sorted and shooting which they were happy about (I think it had em f***ed to be honest) they just couldn't get it on paper for love or money :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 08 Aug 2016, 12:31 pm

Kind of makes me want to go see the "circus".... And maybe smoke them out. :D
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges