That was interesting - Belmont range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

That was interesting - Belmont range

Post by AnotherMisfire » 26 Apr 2016, 11:57 pm

I was out at Belmont range on the weekend and one of the old ROs was on duty.

I swear, not ten minutes after I turn to my buddy and say "This old fella doesn't seem to know what's going on"...

He opens the range after a cease fire with someone out at the 25 metre line on the free standing range!

:shock:

f***ing run dude!
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: That was interesting - Belmont range

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

I don't think ol mate had anything to worry about, I've seen how lousy a shot most people are, most of em are flat out hitting the dirt mound let along anything else :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 27 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

Did you make a suggestion to whoever runs the range to look into this further? You may not want to hurt his feelings but it beats the alternative. :-0
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2016, 1:30 pm

bugger his feelings..... ring up and report him NOW.

unfortunately I've noticed the older generation are mostly ROing.... maybe this is not the best system, safety-wise

This is not a laughing matter, if some guys have got their eye on the scope waiting for the 'word'.....while slow-coach is stumbling back to the benches...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Rakk » 06 May 2016, 1:40 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:bugger his feelings..... ring up and report him NOW.

100% agree,

Needs to be gone, period.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by adam » 06 May 2016, 1:57 pm

It's up to the committee / those in authority to decide the most tactful way of issuing the appropriate response. They can work that out. What's important is that this is reported so it can be dealt with appropriately. If you have concerns raise it with someone.

I would like to think that the idea of the committee is that if your concerns are unwarranted it shouldn't go any further and hurt the person in question anyway, but if they are warranted and this has happened before they may need someone like you to come forward.
Last edited by adam on 25 May 2016, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 06 May 2016, 3:11 pm

A few things to consider , firstly yes, it was a pretty ****** effort by the RO. However , no one is "eye on the scope, waiting for the word", people are back behind the firing
Line , not touching rifles. When approaching your rifles you are looking forward onto the range. The whole point of multiple safety stages is redundancy, I find it very unlikely people would have opened fire with someone on the range in front of them. Especially at 25m. Not trying to blow it off as a nothing event, just saying it was unlikely an injury would have occurred. But sadly yes , Ol mate RO fked up bad and needs to go
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by David Brown » 06 May 2016, 3:56 pm

This is a classic case of why I am ALWAYS the RO on a range I am at…….ALWAYS.

There may be another old chap or young chap with the hi vis vest or whatever on and his name on the board……but if I am there I am an RO. For that matter EVERY shooter there is an RO.

Get my drift :-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 24 May 2016, 11:32 am

Supaduke wrote:The whole point of multiple safety stages is redundancy, I find it very unlikely people would have opened fire with someone on the range in front of them. Especially at 25m.

That's not the point though obviously, as you know.

Supaduke wrote:But sadly yes , Ol mate RO fked up bad and needs to go

That's exactly the point.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 24 May 2016, 11:50 am

The RO Stuffed up feel sad for him do nothing about it because nothing happned thats your call .
Next time your the one downrange .
Never having been to Belmont are you under CCTV if you are refer the time to the Committee or range management if not make a formal complaint to them in wrighting at least and if more than one person signs it all the better
Personaly i would not let it rest
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 24 May 2016, 3:30 pm

Yes they are old, they are the only ones willing to participate in volunteering to get the job done. Sad that the old boy stuffed up. Time to move on I guess. You are not allowed to touch, pack away or reload until the range re- opens. You must stand behind the yellow line.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by adam » 24 May 2016, 3:36 pm

Just to get some clarification on what happened:

The RO opened up the range. What happened next?

I would imagine that someone would have piped up pretty quickly saying STOP, or 'THERES STILL SOMEONE OUT THERE' well before anyone had the time to approach their firearms, reload and point firearms down range, thus the danger would be kept to a minimum?

I mean... people aren't that tunnel focused that they wouldn't have been able to see what was going on would they? Most shooters I know are pretty safety conscious and wouldn't have loaded if someone was on the range regardless of what an RO said.

Sure - it shouldn't have happened... and he's stuffed up with his role - but how far did it go? I'm curious as to what happened next or who picked it up, or how the guy survived. ;)
Last edited by adam on 25 May 2016, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 24 May 2016, 11:14 pm

Very disappointed in the tone of some of the posts here. RO's are all volunteers giving up their time so you can shoot. How about all of you criticising get off your bums and volunteer - be a part of the solution not part of the problem. All ranges are screaming out for help with RO's, fundraisers, help setting up and packing down at the end of the day....but more and more all we hear is that members are "too busy" to help and expect everything to be done for them. Yes, we have elderly and disabled RO's who may struggle sometimes to cover all the bases (I am one of them). But if some of you shooters would help out a bit we would have a much sounder and safer environment in which to participate in our sport.

I would really like to hear from other RO's on this....... we all know how busy and distracting things can get on the firing line - even during a cease fire.

Oh, and by the way, AnotherMisfire, how about putting your hand up to be an RO ?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges