1st time shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

1st time shooting

Post by Mongrel » 17 Jul 2016, 12:00 pm

Well firstly id like to thank Gamerancher on here for sending me a scope up at no cost :).
Its a Tasco 3x9x40 and without it i wouldnt be shooting yet. So again thanks alot :)
Secondly id like to thank Wm.traynor for helping me out with fitting scope and bore sighting it in (in his backyard).

Now 1st time at the range with new rifle. I had a bit of an issue with scope as the day was wet, i set up the gun sat down to line up to targets and it was foggy.
No biggy you can expext that from older scopes. I could just make out to target at 25yds so i fired. Damn couldnt see where it hit. So i shot another four as i couldnt help myself. Waited till range closed and all 5 were low left but in a reasonable grp(for me).
very first shots 25yds sighting in a.jpg
very first shots 25yds sighting in a.jpg (184.06 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

So i went out to 100 yds, borrowed a spotting scope from club so i could hopefully see. It shot very low and left, so i made some adjustments and missed the paper completely...S$#T.

Ok so back to 25yds again and by this time the scope had cleared up :)
i fired single shots and made adjustments till i was happy to go back out to 100yds again
2nd time sighting in as didnt hit paper at 100 a.jpg
2nd time sighting in as didnt hit paper at 100 a.jpg (218.68 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

Ok back out to 100 and yes i hit paper so i made adjustments as i went here is my 2nd attempt.
1st grp at 100yds with adjustments a.jpg
1st grp at 100yds with adjustments a.jpg (180.32 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

Ok so i waited till range closed again to give my barrel a clean with a nylon brush, let barrel cool down and get a proper look at target.

And here is my final 5 shot grp at 100yds and by this time it started raining again so the scope was starting to fog again
final 5 shots 100yds a.jpg
final 5 shots 100yds a.jpg (208.81 KiB) Viewed 3735 times

All this was over 2 hour period, Shot 30 rounds through it and the barrel on ly warm towards the last 2 sessions.
Thanks again to Gamerancher and Wm.Traynor for all the help, It is much appreciated.

Jamie
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 1st time shooting

Post by Mongrel » 17 Jul 2016, 12:02 pm

And now to spend some time cleaning it.....I think im addicted to this now...

WHY DID I NOT START SHOOTING EARLIER :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 17 Jul 2016, 12:32 pm

Ive always found that cleaning the inside of my .22 barrel makes it shoot like s**t. Mine only starts grouping well after about 20 shots . Dunno why but that's what I've found. Good shooting by the way, I would've struggled to hit the broad side of a barn the first time I shot :lol:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 17 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:Ive always found that cleaning the inside of my .22 barrel makes it shoot like s**t. Mine only starts grouping well after about 20 shots . Dunno why but that's what I've found. Good shooting by the way, I would've struggled to hit the broad side of a barn the first time I shot :lol:

Cheers nuke, I am happy aswel, I didn't know what to expect but I can't wait to go again
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 1:14 pm

Mmmm shoooooootn :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jul 2016, 1:24 pm

223 or 308? Well done for first shot
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Jul 2016, 1:40 pm

Looks bigger than .223 based on hole size.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 17 Jul 2016, 2:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:223 or 308? Well done for first shot

308 howa 1500 heavy fluted barrel 20" shooting ppu 150gn bullets
And thanks
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jul 2016, 2:27 pm

Good to see you finally made it :D Your first time is always difficult with the aprehension alone but the troubles that you experienced would have made things much worse. Congratulationd on toughing it out :thumbsup:
I won't say though, that next time will be easier because shooting has ways of erecting unexpected hurdles in your path but you have a bit of experience now and the smell of gunpowder in your nostrils. With a bit of luck, you will be able to concentrate on just shooting next time and practice your skills.

p.s. After typing the above, called for Carmel to come and look. Your last target is Waaay better :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Jul 2016, 9:53 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Good to see you finally made it :D Your first time is always difficult with the aprehension alone but the troubles that you experienced would have made things much worse. Congratulationd on toughing it out :thumbsup:
I won't say though, that next time will be easier because shooting has ways of erecting unexpected hurdles in your path but you have a bit of experience now and the smell of gunpowder in your nostrils. With a bit of luck, you will be able to concentrate on just shooting next time and practice your skills.

p.s. After typing the above, called for Carmel to come and look. Your last target is Waaay better :thumbsup:

Cheers mate couldnt have gotten there without your help :thumbsup:
Went and showed my mate my new toy and hes keen to shoot it, so we might head down to Belmont club next sunday afternoon.
Just need to goto there website or call them to find out the info i need before heading there(rules and such).
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 17 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Good to see you finally made it :D Your first time is always difficult with the aprehension alone but the troubles that you experienced would have made things much worse. Congratulationd on toughing it out :thumbsup:

Went and showed my mate my new toy and hes keen to shoot it, so we might head down to Belmont club next sunday afternoon.
Just need to goto there website or call them to find out the info i need before heading there(rules and such).

No special rules for Belmont SSAA really, just sign in and buy targets before getting rifles from your car. If you are there before the range opens you are permitted to bring your bagged rifles in and place them in their bags on a bench. I'd recommend you get there 15mins at least before range opens to get a bench, it's getting crazy popular. Cost is $22 for SSAA national members.

Even though it's a bit of a hike, SSAA Ripley is a much nicer range to be at on a weekend.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 18 Jul 2016, 5:06 am

How were you adjusting your scope? Just using calculated guess with the clicks?

Easiest way is aim at centre and fire. Now aim back at centre, and while holding the rifle itself dead still adjust the scope until the crosshairs line up with where the shot hit. Now aim for centre and shoot. Should be bang on if not a poofteenth out
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 18 Jul 2016, 5:19 am

Mitch wrote:How were you adjusting your scope? Just using calculated guess with the clicks?

Easiest way is aim at centre and fire. Now aim back at centre, and while holding the rifle itself dead still adjust the scope until the crosshairs line up with where the shot hit. Now aim for centre and shoot. Should be bang on if not a poofteenth out

Gday Mitch, yeah mate I was using calculated guesses with clicks.
The scope has the old style turrets that requires a coin to adjust, plus the rest I was using I couldn't keep it dead still while adjusting.

scotty87 wrote:
Mongrel wrote:

No special rules for Belmont SSAA really, just sign in and buy targets before getting rifles from your car. If you are there before the range opens you are permitted to bring your bagged rifles in and place them in their bags on a bench. I'd recommend you get there 15mins at least before range opens to get a bench, it's getting crazy popular. Cost is $22 for SSAA national members.

Even though it's a bit of a hike, SSAA Ripley is a much nicer range to be at on a weekend.

Thanks Scotty For the info, also I will check out where Ripley one is as Belmont is already gonna be a hike.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 26 Jul 2016, 9:42 am

Mongrel wrote:I think im addicted to this now...

Yeah that'll happen :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges