Help Build a New Range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Help Build a New Range

Post by simmo » 03 Aug 2016, 4:22 pm

Hi everyone

The shooters Union in NSW is trying to get a new range off the ground in Boroowa, NSW. This is a practical step in expanding the sport and another location to get out and shoot safely!

Have a look at the link below (goes to a gofund me page) and see extent of work that has been completed to date. We can all make a difference in growing the sport and hobby we all love. Now, if the last few years has demonstrated anything, we as law abiding shooters are all in this together. :friends:

So Get behind a great project that can really happen!

https://www.gofundme.com/SUNSW1?utm_sou ... _receiptv5
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Help Build a New Range

Post by brett1868 » 03 Aug 2016, 11:55 pm

Looks a good cause but what is the caliber limit? The go fund me page says it's based on a 7.62 NATO template so I'm thinking nothing bigger will be allowed? Also they mention IPSC up to 45Cal which won't happen under current legislation as the only valid "Good Reason" for pistols >38 is SASA & Metallic Silhouette. With the shipping container, try and get a high cube (Non Functional) Reefer unit which can be picked up around the $3500-$4500 mark. They are S/S, will last for ages and given the extreme variation of temps in your area it'll be more comfortable. I tried walking into a regular 40' steel container on a 38c day and it was a sauna but the insulation on the freezer container made it a comfortable 25c, no guessing which one I bought.

Any chance of more then 200yds being available in the future? If you could get 1000yds and use larger calibers then I'd probably shoot there on a regular basis. The LRSC in Mildura is looking to start a FCSA affiliated club in NSW for their 50BMG comps but you need at least 600yds and preferably >1000yds.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by simmo » 04 Aug 2016, 5:40 pm

Hey Brett
I'm not specifically involved with the project and the ground work off getting the template approved but I'm guessing that a rating for 7.62NATO probably precludes the larger calibers you're considering. I personally would love place to reliably shoot .338 or something like that!

I have asked the SUNSW member that is driving the project to provide more details and jump into this thread. My best information is what's on the gofund me page.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Aug 2016, 7:09 pm

simmo wrote:
I have asked the SUNSW member that is driving the project to provide more details and jump into this thread. My best information is what's on the gofund me page.

Can you ask the SUNSW to come here and tell us what they do, I like the SUQLD if they can be nearly as good I might even join provided they can sell themselves to me.
:drinks:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Crrrock » 04 Aug 2016, 8:34 pm

Hi All,
thanks for the plug Simmo, I'll try and answe as best I can.
I'm the Range Chairman.
I started down this road in Sept 2012 and it took until May last year to find a farmer willing to let us use some land.
I was considering a 44Magnum template as it would fit entirely within the subject land, but FAR suggested we could use a 7.62 NATO template as it would just fit within the neighboring properties that we had permission for.
&.62 / 308 is the best we can hope for here as land size just doesn't allow bigger, and it's a special consideration by FAR as their Range information only covers to 7.62.
Shooting distance is also restricted to 200 YARDS, not metres, as council won't allow the removal of trees. Across the valley to the hill would give us about 800, but it's not to be.
We have had our DA approved and FAR have given the nod on the location, so now we need to fund the construction, mainly earthworks. The mound, a car park (that's right, we're not allowed to just park inside the guys paddock) and an entry way off the dirt road (stock route) that would allow semi trailer access (again, it's the council rules, even though we will only ever drive passenger vehicles through it.
As for the 45 cal, we will be applying for that under IPSC, and the Sydney guys have a handle on that I believe.
We are affiliated with the NRA through Shooters Union Australia and as such we should be able to shoot whatever matches they have. That will be subject to how many competitors we may have for the respective matches.
I've taken the reefer container advice on board, and I can see the reasoning, thanks for that.
I've been doing all of this myself and it's good to have ideas from outside the box.
With the ground as it is after all the rain down here, the sub soil (for want of a better wors, is like porridge and so we won't be progressing until October ish, depending on when the rains stop.
In the mean time, all I can do is keep on plugging for donations to the cause.
If we grow our sport, we grow our strength.
Any and all advice or ideas will be gratefully received and taken under consideration.
regards.
Mike.
Crrrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 05 Aug 2016, 9:38 am

Mike,
Many thanks for the clarification and any activity that provides facilities for shooters should be applauded. When I get back from Mildura I'll check the piggy bank and make a donation.
I hold a high calibre permit and IPSC accreditation but I'm prohibited by Clause 70 of the Firearms Regulation Act.2006 from shooting IPSC with any >38Cal pistol. It would be great if IPSC NSW could get the legislation changed or repealed so that the larger calibres could be used.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 05 Aug 2016, 10:56 am

I suppose if some of your club members wanted to throw some clay targets, every now and then, that would be another set of hurdles you would need to tackle ?
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Crrrock » 05 Aug 2016, 8:54 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:I suppose if some of your club members wanted to throw some clay targets, every now and then, that would be another set of hurdles you would need to tackle ?

No, we will indeed have a Clays category. I just don't want to tread on toes at the "Gun Club" which is a well established turn out.
We will have a limited, but available, Clays agenda.

Just sayin'.
Mike
Crrrock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges