Mildura LRSC / FCSA Comp Aug 2016

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Mildura LRSC / FCSA Comp Aug 2016

Post by brett1868 » 08 Aug 2016, 1:45 pm

Had a great few days in Mildura competing in the LRSC / FCSA 600yd 50Cal Comp. I placed around the middle of the pack which was a little disappointing but I did the best I could with the tools at hand. Next comp will allow the use of reloaded ammunition so I will definitely do better. Time between details was spent on the pistol range ringing the gong out to 100m with a S&W 460XVR. I scored 44.8 from a possible 50 which is very average but 3 others borrowed my rifle and all scored within 1 point of me. If 4 of us are so close with the same package then it's a problem with the package and not the shooter. Keep in mind that this is an off the shelf rifle shooting questionable factory ammunition. The 1st and 2nd place recipients used the same rifle and precision tuned reloads, hence their much better consistency. Both are awesome shots and I learnt a few things just observing them in action, lessons I'll take on board for Novembers comp.

A massive thanks must go to Paul Cohrs and all the members of the Mildura LRSC club for running such a well organised and fun event. The Mildura S.A.S.A Club gave up their range day and provided an all day BBQ along with a variety of snacks and drinks. A steering committee was formed with the purpose of investigating the setting up of a NSW Club for 50BMG long range shooting comps. I, along with several others from Sydney who attended are excited about getting the competition running up here. Hopefully some more news in coming months but if you like the idea of shooting the 50BMG in competition then drop me a P.M so I can keep you informed of progress.

A few pictures below, didn't take many as I was busy shooting :) Some video will be posted to YouTube once I get permission from the subjects, I will never post any pictures / videos online without peoples permission.

Shot a mix of 44Mag, 460XVR, 416 Barrett and 50BMG.
IMG_2580.JPG
2 days worth of empties
IMG_2580.JPG (273.95 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

Range is very well setup
IMG_2563.JPG
View from the firing line
IMG_2563.JPG (190.94 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

IMG_2561.JPG
My Tac-50 next to a Camo AR50
IMG_2561.JPG (212.63 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

3 Sessions of 5 shots, I managed a flyer in each...
IMG_2568.JPG
5 of the 15 Scoring Shots
IMG_2568.JPG (138.24 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

IMG_2562.JPG
The winning setup
IMG_2562.JPG (176.15 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

Made a visit to Henderson Park to take a picture of the statue of my great uncle and pay my respects.
IMG_2555.JPG
Great Uncle - Samuel George Pearse
IMG_2555.JPG (277.13 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Mildura LRSC / FCSA Comp Aug 2016

Post by Gwion » 08 Aug 2016, 2:16 pm

Sounds like a great weekend, Brett.
I'm a little confused: you say 1st & 2nd used tune reloads but i thought you said earlier that only factory rounds were permitted???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Apollo » 08 Aug 2016, 2:47 pm

I'm sure he will respond when he gets time, just been talking with Brett but he's busy.

I believe reloads are allowed and he will be using them next time.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Aug 2016, 3:08 pm

Gwion wrote:Sounds like a great weekend, Brett.
I'm a little confused: you say 1st & 2nd used tune reloads but i thought you said earlier that only factory rounds were permitted???

Correct...I'm confused as well. The 1st / 2nd place getters (Wife / Husband sharing same rifle) asked if they could use reloads as they didn't have factory ammo and the organiser allowed it. Technically they should have been put in a class of their own and not eligible for places against those who did use factory ammo. A protest could have been made but being my first time there and it not being a serious type shoot I didn't worry plus I didn't shoot well and it may of appeared to be a case of sour grapes on my part. I pity the 3rd place getter as technically he complied will all the rules and should have won. The next comp onwards is open for ammunition choice so this won't be an issue moving forward. Now I'll have to get busy developing a 600yd load with the Cutting Edge 698gr projectiles I picked up recently. Project 50 is looking to be ahead of schedule with the barrel and action departing the U.S of A later this week and should be with the smith late Aug. Possibly the first shots fired will be in September so hopefully ready for the Mildura shoot in November :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Aug 2016, 4:05 pm

Awesome... What action are you building on?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 08 Aug 2016, 5:41 pm

Gwion wrote:Awesome... What action are you building on?

I'll do a proper build thread with pictures once all the parts can be assembled in the same country :)

Caliber - 50BMG - Modified chambering but not telling what the mod is yet.
Action - BAT Machine EX
Barrel - Secret but is S/S 43" long with a 2" diameter for 14" then taper to 1.75"
Stock - McMillan Super 50BR
Trigger - Flavio
Brake - Custom
Rail - BAT Machine
Scope - March LR Tactical 8-80x56
Rings - EraTac Adjustable inclination mount.
Last edited by brett1868 on 09 Aug 2016, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Aug 2016, 6:04 pm

Holy Shyte! 42"x2" barrel!!!

So how much for the crane to lift it??? :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 08 Aug 2016, 6:12 pm

The airfreight for the action & barrel from the U.S was $1180....Ouch!!! Was around 25kg all up with packaging but since it's >40" the only option is the very expensive airfreight. I'm starting to regret going down this path but it's too late to turn back but by the time the dust settles it'll have a similar cost to other 50's in Aus but far greater accuracy potential.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 08 Aug 2016, 6:42 pm

Nice work if ya can get it!

One of those things, just gotta bite the bullet ang ignore the pain.... pun intended.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by simmo » 09 Aug 2016, 8:29 am

Hey Brett

Congrats on competing and to getting the score you did, very impressive regardless. And the set up you're describing sounds mint!

I was curious to know whether it was only a .50cal class or could you compete with another suitable large caliber like .416, .408, 404 even .375?

I read about this component the SSAA shooter mag a month or two ago and was really keen to find out more about the comp.
Cheers
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 09 Aug 2016, 1:04 pm

simmo wrote:Hey Brett

Congrats on competing and to getting the score you did, very impressive regardless. And the set up you're describing sounds mint!

I was curious to know whether it was only a .50cal class or could you compete with another suitable large caliber like .416, .408, 404 even .375?

I read about this component the SSAA shooter mag a month or two ago and was really keen to find out more about the comp.
Cheers

Simmo,
This particular comp was 50BMG only as it was run under the F.C.S.A (Fifty Cal Shooters Association) section of the Mildura LRSC (Long Range Shooting Club). They do run generic long range comps where calibre choice is open, I took the M99 Barrett 416 with me for a little fun during the practise day and to give the shoulder a rest from the 50. Check out the link below for more information on the club and possibly there will be a NSW branch opening soon along with a new range with >1000m to shoot on.

http://www.lrsc.org.au/
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Aug 2016, 1:09 pm

So, Brett, is the comp run with similar f-class details and scoring?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 09 Aug 2016, 1:29 pm

Gwion wrote:So, Brett, is the comp run with similar f-class details and scoring?

Not knowing the F class rules I don't really know.
This match had the below format
10 min for sighting shots
Patch

10 min 5 shots
Patch & score
If requested you could have another sighting period between scoring matches.
Repeat 2 more times for a total of 15 rounds fired.

Scores are added then divided by 3
Groups are also measured as they have a smallest group place.

Good fun but my day was over by 11am as I was in the first detail, I wanted to beat the wind / mirage that comes up after lunch. I spent the rest of the day on the pistol range with the DE44 and 460XVR shooting the 100m gong :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Aug 2016, 2:57 pm

OK. Nothing like f-class in detail.

What are the scoring rings worth?

Fclass as follows:
x = 6.1
inner ring = 6, then 5, 4, 3, 2 and one for just hitting the target board.

Detail is 2 sighters and 10 rounds all within a 15 minute time frame, all marked between shots for adjustment. 2 details per range is usual.

edit: 24 rounds at $17 a shot would make for an expensive Saturday!!! :? :shock:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 09 Aug 2016, 5:02 pm

X=10 as well as the ring around it, other rings go 9, 8, 7, 6. In the event of tied scores then it's who ever hit the X ring most being declared the winner. A lot more relaxed then "F" class possibly because of few competitors at this stage. I more approached it as something fun and a chance to see other 50's besides mine in action. If anyone is keen to have a go and can make it to Mildura in November I'll happily loan you a rifle and supply ammo at cost :D

Andrew shooting the 460XVR, not very spectacular outdoors....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J23hrOa2RyU
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Aug 2016, 7:02 pm

Probably not November, but if the offer is still open when i get the chance i'd love to have a go!

Tie it in with a trip fishing for cod & yellow belly while i'm at it. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Aug 2016, 9:12 pm

Looks like you had a blast... where are the vids??

Those 44 cases look like 22 rimfire shells mixed in with 30-06s... :P

Oh...baffles....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Supaduke » 10 Aug 2016, 9:39 am

If I sold all my rifles I could probably get a 50BMG, then I could fire about 5 rounds a month. Nice write up Brett. If you ever need an apprentice let me know.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2016, 10:14 am

I see my mate Johnny Harbor and his wife Michele beat you. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 10 Aug 2016, 1:33 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I see my mate Johnny Harbor and his wife Michele beat you. :D

At least half the field beat me :D I did the best I could using factory ammunition. If I had been using match prepped reloads like Johnny and Michele I may have done a little better but they shot very well and came prepared. This was my first attempt and I'll be better prepared for the November match and hopefully better results.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2016, 1:42 pm

You'll go alright mate it's all about learning and doing as I'm sure you know.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by simmo » 10 Aug 2016, 10:13 pm

Brett

If I wasn't overseas in November I would take you up on that!
I think I will take a chance to get down and look at the event in 2017...just keep us updated on that build project!
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 Aug 2016, 11:47 pm

BFS - Learning more and more everyday, generally about how much I suck at things. I'm sure I was better when I was younger but can't remember or maybe it's a case of the older I get the better I was :lol:

Simmo - Next after Nov should be Feb and I'll post a heads up. You're welcome to come with me as I've got 5 seats and it's more economical to share fuel / accommodation (No Spooning though) and I could use another driver as I'm getting too old for 10hr stints behind the wheel.

I'm supposed to head up to Gunnedah next Wed night for AgQuip and maybe test some 798gr Cutting Edge rounds in the 50. Thinking to give that a miss due to work overloading me at the moment plus I bought another pistol this morning and the pocket money's gone for a few weeks :(

If anyone is going to the Penrith Gun Show this weekend, I've got to pick up some 10mm brass from Wayne if anyone wants to meet up and put names to faces, talk some s**t and drool over the guns on display.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 11 Aug 2016, 7:18 am

Not sure naming .50cal owners on a public Forum is the smartest thing you've done this week BFS :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2016, 11:37 am

Chronos wrote:Not sure naming .50cal owners on a public Forum is the smartest thing you've done this week BFS :unknown:

Chronos

Johnny uses his name everywhere mate, numberplate, business you name it - anyone who's anyone knows who Harb is mate :thumbsup:

Michele doesn't seem to scared about having her name mentioned - Johnny made this Vid and owns/operates the Drone that did the footage, also made the S&FFP ads for the recent elections - some of us just don't give a f*** about being paranoid mate, we'd rather leave that up to you :D

https://vimeo.com/167258221

Some info on the events for those who are interested
http://www.lrsc.org.au/wp-content/uploa ... -7-13a.pdf
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 11 Aug 2016, 1:30 pm

Hehehe not paranoid mate just my idea of courtesy. If others want their IRL names made public that's their choice (I've done it myself) but I wouldn't do it for them. But that's your choice, he's your mate :friends:

I met Harb and co at WBB this year and had a ball shooting running bore with the girls. That .458Lott Is a bit of a beast but I was impressed with how well they shot it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges