SSAA St Marys Pistol Club (NSW) - Members Chat

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: SSAA St Marys Pistol Club (NSW) - Members Chat

Post by brett1868 » 01 Oct 2016, 10:26 pm

Might have to get booked into the next coaching session myself judging by that target, looking good mate.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Oct 2016, 9:04 am

Thanks Brett, The shots outside he black were my initial shots at 25, the groups got tighter.

Started at 10metres, and moved out.

I have just made up 150 rounds of various loads, weights etc to test out next week. I have the some time off next week.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 05 Oct 2016, 11:27 pm

Wylie27, Can I count on you missing the next evening Rimfire Silhouette on the 2/12? :D I top scored again tonight with a 23 and looking to make it 3 in a row. New glasses definitely helped and a little more practice should see me in the high 20's or possibly low 30's :allegedly: Also shot some 460XVR, 10mm and tested the 22LR conversion on the Kimber 1911 frame. Standard velocity ammo hasn't got enough "Punch" to cycle the action but CCI Stinger proved very reliable although quite noisy.

IMG_2713.JPG
10 @ 10m Kimber 1911 - 22LR Conversion
IMG_2713.JPG (99.38 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 05 Oct 2016, 11:32 pm

Should we have a section for weird gun adverts we have seen
I saw this tonight fist thing iI thought was IGOR GET SOME SLUGS lol
https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=87996
sorry if its someones pride and joy but it sort of looks wrong .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Oct 2016, 5:46 am

You know what I love, food poisoning.. the way it makes you lose weight.. pfft man shakes an rapid weight loss has nothing salmonella !

2/12 lock that in, short of me being on my death bed I will be there!

Have you shot the 5 in a row yet? It's a very satisfying feeling!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Oct 2016, 11:37 am

Think I've found a winning load for the 460XVR :) This is 0.5gr under max load translated from the Hornady manual. Now I'll fiddle a little with seating depth and crimp to see if I can tighten it a bit more.

5 @ 50M S&W 460XVR
IMG_2707.JPG
IMG_2707.JPG (147.44 KiB) Viewed 7655 times
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Oct 2016, 2:26 pm

Thought this was funny!
IMG_3924.JPG
IMG_3924.JPG (268.51 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 06 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

That picture is appropriate at the moment as they seem to be making inroads into the Australian market. Andrew has a stock of their projectiles sitting on the floor, shame they're too heavy for my needs and being copper washed as allegedly no good for IPSC. With Top Score moving, HRBC not so local anymore, Susan Island never in stock I'm happy to see another player supplying pistol projectiles.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Oct 2016, 3:22 pm

I just picked up a 1000 of black widow projectiles when they came into one of my locals. I had been waiting for a while so a new player would be good!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Oct 2016, 6:38 am

The universe. Ohh why do you hate me?

Down with a a gastric flu earlier in the week and miss the rimfire comp, finally feeling 80% so I say to the missus tomorrow(Friday) I am going to the range, have 500 rounds of 9mm I want to try.

As is I finish the word try my phone rings. It's my 12 year old daughter who lives with her mother , dad can I spend tomorrow with you and my step sister.

What do I say, well no child, I planned to send 500 rounds down range and be completely isolated for the day.. nope I am responsible, sure child I will pick you up at 9am.

Maybe I can start that air rifle range in the hall way I always threaten to do...... (never do of course)

I suppose I could go to the local gun shop at Terrey Hills and get myself some new grips for the 1911 and a bullet puller...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 07 Oct 2016, 10:39 am

How old do the kids have to be to get in to the training at st Mary,s on a Saturday morning takes 2 hours I believe and dad would have to stay there what you going to do for a few hours.???
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

Yes that would work if she didnt have my ex wifes "liberal" views....... :(

Working on it

Update:

Part of my desensitisation program which worked on my step child I decided to get the 1911 out and do some work on it in front of the children.

I went to the Terrey Hills Gun Shop this morning and picked up some new grips and went to install them. As with everything with a 1911 nothing is a straight swap and modifications are required.

The grips stopped the ambi safety from engaging so out comes the dremel and I remove about 1mm of material from the grip and still no joy. Not being able to remove anymore material from the grip I turned my attention to the ambi safety.

2mm of material had to be removed, however the safety engages and disengages with ease.

While I was there, the rear of the ambi safety overhung the frame and would cut into the webbing of my hand, so with dremel in hand I rounded off that part and cleaned it up with some 1000grit sandpaper.

Pretty happy with the result. Need to decide whether to get a bluing kit or remove bluing.

IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 7452 times

IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 7452 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Oct 2016, 8:45 am

Off to the range tonight to test some loads and the new grips, should be fun!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2016, 9:45 am

Wylie27 wrote:Off to the range tonight to test some loads and the new grips, should be fun!

Don't practise with the 22LR as I'm looking to make it 3 in a row next Rimfire silhouette comp. :D I'd join you but flatstick loading a massive pile of 223 this week.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 12 Oct 2016, 10:03 am

Hahah so this 300 rounds of 22 I am taking I shouldn't shoot. :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 12 Oct 2016, 10:35 am

hey Brett 1868 did you get yer glasses yet and if so what do you think of them
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 Oct 2016, 11:14 am

pomemax wrote:hey Brett 1868 did you get yer glasses yet and if so what do you think of them

Yes mate, prescription lenses in Bolle Safety glasses frame so I tick all the boxes for range use. I top scored with a 23 last comp which was a 4 point improvement so I'd have to say the glasses certainly help.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 12 Oct 2016, 11:59 am

you got an address pm me
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Oct 2016, 7:46 am

Testing the loads i made up last night and i am seriously confused... out to 20 metres. All the loads worked better without a rest. But to 25 and i start spraying it off both a rest and off rest. Going to do some research and maybe hire a 9mm pistol and see if it is me or the pistol.

With that said i think i have settled on my load for bullseye powder for both 122gr and the 125gr lead pill.

Ohh and Brett 250 rounds through the .22 at 25 metres and all were in the black :) those silhouettes are in trouble!!!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 31 Oct 2016, 4:34 pm

I am heading out on Wednesday Night to shoot the Rimfire Silhouette. Its on at 7pm. Anyone else going?

the link to novembers calendar is below.

http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre. ... lendar.pdf

I see a barricades next tuesday i might be interested in. wonder if the minister for finance and home affairs will grant me special permission to go given i will have only come back from the farm :?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 31 Oct 2016, 8:23 pm

Yep, just got home from metallic silhouette practise scoring a miserable 14/40 after the 460 scope mount came loose once again. To add injury to insult the front sight took off somewhere down range never to be seen again. Going to araldite the base on next and if that doesn't work I'll give up and go back to open sights. I told the princess that I'll be shooting Mon & Tues then heading bush Sat afternoon to shoot for a couple days. Now to see if S&W have any sort of warranty on the front sight departing the frame under recoil...
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Nov 2016, 10:31 pm

Wylie27, I'm confirmed for tomorrow night mate so keep an eye out for a short rotund late 40 something walking bi-pod. Wayne is the R.O so ask him to point me out if you don't spot me straight away. I'll be dreaming of flying chickens tonight :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Nov 2016, 5:56 am

Will see you there tonight!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Nov 2016, 8:21 am

Holy crap I couldn't hit these little critters last night if my life depended on it..

I think i got 8 or 9 out of 40.....

Good to finally meet up with Brett and catch up with gals from my induction!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 03 Nov 2016, 9:41 am

I'm going to stop practising before the match and see if that helps. I went backwards last night scoring 18/40 compared to 23 and 19 the previous 2 outings. Justification for more practise is a good way to look at it :) Good to catch up with you as well mate and great to see many ladies doing so well. I think Simone from our detail scored a 25 and thoroughly enjoyed herself.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 20 Nov 2016, 8:11 am

Heading out to the range today. Have a new barrel bushing on the 1911 and want to test it out.

A Wilson Combat "drop in" part.. nothing drop in about it.. spent about 4 hours sanding it down to fit! Lol

400 odd rounds of 9mm loaded up and ready to be shot... :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Nov 2016, 4:32 pm

I received the calendar for December and January.

Definitely up for some rimfire silhouette and maybe service practice...

Still want to do the ipsc holster course.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2016, 6:16 pm

Wed 7th is looking very good, I put close to 300 rounds through the Ruger MkIII on Tuesday night just past. I'll put another few hundred through it maybe this Saturday with a view to using it in the next comp. Monday 19th is "Piss off the old farts" night for me, they call it metallic silhouette practise but they bitch and whinge about the noise from the 460XVR, the more the whinge the more I shoot and I like watching bits of the roof rain down :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:
pomemax wrote:hey Brett 1868 did you get yer glasses yet and if so what do you think of them

Yes mate, prescription lenses in Bolle Safety glasses frame so I tick all the boxes for range use. I top scored with a 23 last comp which was a 4 point improvement so I'd have to say the glasses certainly help.

Which model Bolle?? I need to organise some shooting safe / prescription shades for TYB, :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Nov 2016, 7:05 pm

7th could be a goer.... depends on my vet bill tomorrow.. it's hit $2k today.vwhich pretty much has killed getting the shadow 2. But she is worth it!

Lol the 19th might come out for a look..

On Sunday I ended up sending down about 200 rounds and felt a definite improvement in the 1911 with the new barrel bushing. the tolerance was ummmm a bit tight as it completely rubbed off the bluing.... oops..

once it polished the barrel it became a bit easier to rack the slide. I don't think it has taken material off the barrel.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges