SSAA St Marys Pistol Club (NSW) - Members Chat

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: SSAA St Marys Pistol Club (NSW) - Members Chat

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2016, 7:18 pm

These are the frames and I had prescription lenses fitted. I think the all up cost was $220 and I got a fair chunk of that back on the health fund.

https://www.worksafegear.com/shop/detail/bolle-slide-safety-glasses-specs-clear-lens-epbo-1/details/view/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Nov 2016, 10:24 pm

Brett 1868 you rember you were saying your going to have to automate your dills look on youtube for automation for dill i saw some good set ups
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2016, 11:42 pm

pomemax wrote:Brett 1868 you rember you were saying your going to have to automate your dills look on youtube for automation for dill i saw some good set ups

I'm 50/50 at the moment about dropping the cash on a 1050 and another 4k to automate it OR buy a pair of kits to automate my existing 650's. I've got a casual (neighbors son) who is more then capable of running a 650 who works pretty cheap. So long as I supply him with trips to the range and 22-250 loaded rounds he's a happy little vegemite. October next year my son turns 12 and he'll be put to work "Conan the Barbarian" style chained to the presses :)
Thankfully the Dillon's are fairly idiot proof once properly set up and just about anyone can pull the handle with a minimum of training and supervision but I still QA every round visually and with a case gauge. I don't sell what I wouldn't be happy to personally pull the trigger on.
Hopefully 1st quarter in 2017 I'll get my act together to sort out branding and packaging so I can put some product on shelves rather then supplying individuals on an ad-hoc basis. I've got several loads developed that are commercially viable and rare enough that I'd enjoy a monopoly till another player joins in.

This is the one I'm giving serious consideration to buying a pair of.
http://www.markvii-loading.com/Mark-7-650-Pro-Autodrive--9mm38Super9x21-Package-Builder_p_148.html

Considering Christmas is soon upon us I'll wait till the new year and set some budget aside. I've got a couple PTA's pending processing at the moment and providing they get approved I'm considering a Glock 41MOS 45ACP and a STi 2011 DVC Limited in .357Sig cause I've been a good boy and deserve a present from Santa :)

You shooting Saturday afternoon? Let me know if and what time you're going.

I'm suffering withdrawal and need a dose of recoil so might dust off the Cheytac. I'll bring a little Christmas cheer by making it snow indoors as the ceiling insulation rains down from muzzle blast :D There seems to be a bit of sheep mentality out there at times, I'll get a bench as far away from others as possible so they don't whinge about muzzle blast and someone will always sit next to me. The place can be friggen empty, choices of benches but they just have to sit next to me then get pissed with the noise. Same s**t happens at Bunning's, I'll park way the f*** away from the doors and some A-Hole parks so close to me I struggle to get the door open enough to get in. Can be only 2 cars in the place and this s**t happens.
Rant over, Meds taken and since I need to be up for work soon I'm going to attempt that sleep thing I've heard so much about :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Nov 2016, 11:55 pm

yer i will be there round about 12 ish yer they are one of the ones i looked at Mark 7
wonder what the minister of war and finance would say lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 25 Nov 2016, 5:40 am

Brett,

does your optometrist understand shooting at all?

I am struggling to train mine at the moment, he doesnt get that i need the front sight in focus.. so my scripts arent always helping.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 25 Nov 2016, 8:23 pm

I have been googling prescriptions dor shooting as i have issues with distance and an astigmatism.

Came across monovision... you get a script for your dominant eye to focus on the front sight and a different script for thecnon dominant eye to see the target.. apparently the brain adapts pretty quickly, so i might have a chat to an optometrist and get some contacts in various powers for both eyes.

Anyone else tried this?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Nov 2016, 9:03 pm

Can't say if thought of that approach to glasses, mention to John if you go to him and see what he can advise cause it sounds good.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 25 Nov 2016, 10:07 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Brett,

does your optometrist understand shooting at all?

I am struggling to train mine at the moment, he doesnt get that i need the front sight in focus.. so my scripts arent always helping.

An optometrist will always try to setup your dominant eye for distance.

I run distance prescription on my weak eye and front sight distance on my dominant eye.
This should be -0.50 to 1.25 on your distance prescription.

Get him to mock them up in one of those weird frames and go outside the testing room.
Sight on your thumb to check front sight focus in normal light then pick an object outside the shop 25 metres away and check your distance vision. You do not want too strong on the front sight as you still need passable distance vision. You should be able to try different lenses till you get something that works (in normal light). If the focus is a bit strange leave it for 10 minutes and see if it settles down. Some people cannot adjust to two different focal lengths.

My regular prescription is multi-focal but single vision in my shooting glasses.
I am 50+ and really short sighted (7.00) and this works for me.

Picking the same frames for both was a mistake :)
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Nov 2016, 5:39 am

Brett,

Most certainly will be going there soon. This has been the hard part actually finding an optometrist who understands shooting. I had one and he retired.

BigM,

Thanks for that, glad there is someone who has actually done it.

I have been doing a heap of reading on it and i think its the way to go. I will most likely continue down the contacts route and maybe get a frame made to offset the contacts whilst driving :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 28 Nov 2016, 10:51 pm

Shot metallic silhouette practise tonight, scored a miserable 10/40. I've given up on the 460XVR for the time being and used the S&W 44Mag tonight but packed the DE44 ammo. This load works very well in the DE & Marlin lever but the S&W was all over the place so ill be checking the load sheet in the baggies better before the next comp. On a positive for the night, Michael brought along his Mateba 44Mag Semi-Auto revolver. You read correctly a Semi Auto revolver, one of the weirdest looking pistols I've seen. I didn't get the chance to fire it but it's an absolute work of art from Italy which makes my Korth PRS look cheap :(

Check out one similar to his on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDVVUmr3lcQ
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 29 Nov 2016, 5:53 am

Well that just looks insane!!

It silhouette as much fun as rimfire silhouette?

Need to get to the range and get more time in with the 1911. Making good progress with tuning I have done.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 29 Nov 2016, 6:35 am

It silhouette as much fun as rimfire silhouette?

Short answer = No.
But it's an opportunity to use the High Cal pistols or test your skills at 50m. Essentially it's 40 rounds on 4 different animal silhouette A4 paper targets with each hit worth a point. I generally average around 20 and after last nights poor effort I'll be stepping up the practise and load development another level. Even if you don't have high cal permit you can use any centre fire you like. Thinking I might try some 45LC target loads in the 460 but I consider that as a soft cock approach.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Nov 2016, 3:44 pm

So I receive a package at home which is not an unusual occurance. However the wife texts me to asks what's in the package as it feels cylindrical, I guess curiosity got the better of her.

When i told her it was two cans of compressed air to blow out some crud on our daughters laptop and my Walther PPQ she laughed at me and thought I was mad for buying air.....

Got me thinking.. what weird crap have you guys n gals bought, orvmore specifically what the minister for home affairs and social events thought was weird..

In a positive note, the crap is out of the PPQ's trigger and the laptop is much cooler now!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 30 Nov 2016, 9:51 pm

Wylie27, ask the missus how much she paid last time for a bottle of water :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Dec 2016, 6:14 am

Haha. Damn should have gone with that!

Trying to work out when I will next get to the range for some practice.

Cleaned up both pistols last night from my shoot the other week.

I am going to have to work out how to pull the trigger out of the Walther PPQ .22 as it is still a little gritty..

Tossing up whether to mount a red dot on the PPQ, after all I gotta beat Brett at rimfire silhouette! Lol.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Arasaka » 01 Dec 2016, 11:15 am

Hi all,

Thanks to Wylie for pointing me to this forum! Another Brett here just to make things a bit more confusing

Recently passed graduation, and am hoping to pick up a safe and install it over the weekend. Then I can submit my PTA, buy a .22LR and participate in the Rimfire Silhouette matches which are popular from this discussion thread! From reading the member booklet it was the first event to really interest me.

While I'd like to participate next Wednesday night, am I right in that I'd need my own firearm as the Armourer is not present? I might venture in anyway to take a look. A shame it only seems to be anoncernper month event.

Anyway hope to be at the range soon!
Arasaka
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Dec 2016, 7:17 pm

Arasaka,

Nice to see you here!

Like I was saying, pick a safe and then double the size :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2016, 8:36 pm

Arasaka, Don't buy a 22lr on your probationary H license cause then you'll have to live with it for the next 7-8 months. depending on what cops interest you and your budget it's better to buy a centre fire and rent / borrow a 22 for the rim fire comps. I think you can "borrow" a pistol from the boys at the counter now you've graduated (bring your paperwork with you) and maybe give them a call before Wed. Providing all is in order license wise you can use my Beretta 87 or Ruger MkIII if you like though it's best to get in an hour or so before the comp kicks off for some practise shots downrange. If you're keen for a shot before Wednesday let me know as I might sneak out there Saturday morning.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Arasaka » 02 Dec 2016, 7:08 am

Wylie, thanks again solid advice as I like to future proof. Thanks!

Thanks Brett I hadn't considered that. I figured that a .22LR is a "training wheels" kind if firearm with the bonus that sihouette comps interest me the most and ammo is much cheaper. I need to learn all the fundamentals - stance, grip, breathing, recoil control - and I guess I just made an assumption (also all trainee shoots are done using a .22LR).

From my internet browsing I am thinking of a Springfield Armoury Range Officer but it all depends on price/availability. I can only get US details sadly.

Can't make it this weekend but I appreciate your offer! I'm still a massive scrub and I wouldn't be comfortable playing with other people's toys! I think once I've had a chance to familiarise myself better with the handling (not shooting!) outside the confines of Range A I'd be a lot less nervous.

I will defenitely call them up and see if I can borrow one for the event, though I will try to get down there anyway to spectate and see how it all works.
Arasaka
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Dec 2016, 7:12 am

Brett,

You are most certainly welcome to have a play with my Walther and 1911.

One of the rimfire silhouettes shoots I did they asked if there were any probationary shooters. So maybe they do accomodate.

I didn't have to sit through proby hell..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Dec 2016, 11:45 am

I am thinking of a Springfield Armoury Range Officer but it all depends on price/availability. I can only get US details sadly

Call Andrew or Brayden at Magnum Sports 9882-2689 and ask them to order it in for you. If you buy direct, you'll be up for postage and possibly some dealer handling fees. Getting the boys to order for you saves those costs and you pay $1865. Mention my name so Andrew / Brayden know where the referral came from please :)
Last edited by Blackened on 02 Dec 2016, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I'm also loathe to do it, so lets not.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 02 Dec 2016, 12:35 pm

Now that you have the PPL you can hire any gun from the counter for $5 cleaning fee just check the sites and stuff when you get them in the range if they are no good swap them out
Not sure about ammo if you have AB just buy 22 ammo 22 ammo is not a dramma in a club gun they are only worried about other cals that you may have reloaded hot Take it with you other than that i think an club armourer must be on site
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Dec 2016, 3:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I am thinking of a Springfield Armoury Range Officer but it all depends on price/availability. I can only get US details sadly

Call Andrew or Brayden at Magnum Sports 9882-2689 and ask them to order it in for you. If you buy direct, you'll be up for postage and possibly some dealer handling fees. Getting the boys to order for you saves those costs and you pay $1865. Mention my name so Andrew / Brayden know where the referral came from please :)

WARNING: It may cost you 10% association fee if you mention Brett's name :lol:

I've got a brand spankers CZ SHadow 2 to run in, might try and get to St Mary's this weekend :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Dec 2016, 4:11 pm

Damn you chronos! I am waiting on the next shipment...
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm

Wylie27 wrote:Damn you chronos! I am waiting on the next shipment...

:mrgreen:

You're welcome to have a shot or 20 :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Sounds like a good idea :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Dec 2016, 9:10 pm

Chronos, I have around 10,000 loaded rounds so can I have a shot or more :lol:

If your heading out tomorrow let me know as I'd like to check out the CZ and I've got some 9mm you can test for me. If you can hold out to one night during the week I've got a Labradar Doppler chronograph arriving Monday we can play with :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 02 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Maybe we should have a 9mm night lol.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 03 Dec 2016, 6:59 am

brett1868 wrote:Chronos, I have around 10,000 loaded rounds so can I have a shot or more :lol:

If your heading out tomorrow let me know as I'd like to check out the CZ and I've got some 9mm you can test for me. If you can hold out to one night during the week I've got a Labradar Doppler chronograph arriving Monday we can play with :)

Sure, not sure when I'll get there yet

Wylie27 wrote:Maybe we should have a 9mm night lol.

Sounds good, I'll bring my air pistol too :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 03 Dec 2016, 8:46 pm

Postie delivered a nice big box this morning :) 1 Doppler Radar chronograph. Ordered mine some 7 weeks ago and should have taken 3 weeks to arrive but due to circumstances they have sent me a loan unit till they sort supply issues. It'll track the projectile out to 100yds and can return up to 5 readings at user defined ranges. One of the reasons I bought this is I can start getting data downrange in order to calculate the BC of the custom projectiles I'm having made. Should be a handy tool for developing pistol loads as nothing is required downrange, set it up on the table and start shooting.

A bit of an intro for those not familiar with the LabRadar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4a37bqY1SM
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges