trying new loads

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

trying new loads

Post by Mongrel » 28 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

Well after using the same bullets since owning the rifle i thought it be time to try dif weights to see which my gun likes the best.
Here is the result from 2 weeks ago (PPU 150gn)

ppu 150 gn2.jpg
ppu 150 gn2.jpg (237.11 KiB) Viewed 5273 times

So i went and bought some
Buffalo River 135 HP,
Sellior and Bellot 150 FMJ (which i cant use at range) and
Outback Ammo 168 BT.
Im not sure what changed from 2 weeks ago but the ppu was hitting lower this time round.
Here is the results from today. Only been to the range 4 times since owning a gun, they arent the best shots and im pretty sure i got the dreaded flinch :(
All shots were aimed at bullseye cept the bottom right, i aimed at the top of the white section.

mixed loads.jpg
mixed loads.jpg (326.51 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: trying new loads

Post by brett1868 » 28 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm

Get into reloading and you're results will improve dramatically and if you shoot often enough you'll be saving money. If not already saving your old brass then start now so when you do start reloading you'll have some to start with. It's neither difficult nor expensive to reload and there's plenty of people here that can guide you through the process not to mention some great tutorials on YouTube.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Aug 2016, 7:08 pm

re the group sizes
You do seem to a bit more elevation than your very first PPU group 2 weeks ago. Checked all your screws?
re the shift in point of impact
Did you change scopes, change to a bag under the butt from 2 weeks ago? Shoot without a butt bag?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2016, 7:25 pm

Mongrel wrote:im pretty sure i got the dreaded flinch :(

If you shot those with a flinch, it's a very consistent one :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 28 Aug 2016, 8:52 pm

There is only one thing to learn from those groups, you may need some coaching :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 28 Aug 2016, 9:17 pm

so many variables :problem: the change of point of impact while a worry may just be you :P i would try a few more types of bullets,it can't hurt, the buff river groups are not that bad, looks like you pulled a couple in the bottom one :thumbsup: get some snap caps and get someone to load them at random for you,you will soon find out if you have a flinch. if you have creep in your trigger get it fixed and if its heavy, lighten it up at the same time,,it should break clean and crisp. use a rest or bags and pretty much try and do the same thing each time you pull the trigger :thumbsup: oh and save your brass,even if you never reload you can always sell them or give them away :friends: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Mongrel » 28 Aug 2016, 9:37 pm

Thx guys, yes, I'm saving my brass as I plan to get into it soon.
Also we traynor, I just put a bipod on and it feels so much better than the plastic thing I was using before.
And in regards to trigger I feel it could be lightened, when I was squeezing it while gun was empty I could see the point of impact through scope move,
Lots of things to improve I know, I got lots of time :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 28 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm

Shooting from a bi pod takes practice. You need to 'pre-load' the bi pod by putting forward pressure onto it with your shoulder. With this pressure, you want to achieve a 'natural point of aim', that is, you point of aim is not forced onto the target. So with all hand pressure taken off the stock (soft hands on) and just shoulder preload, your crosshairs should stay on target. All this can be practiced without live ammo. Practice this and you might find those groups improving a bit. No preload and 'muscling' the point of aim is a sure way for shoddy grouping, even with tuned hand loads. My first groups with a bipod went from 0.5moa (off bags) to 1.5+Moa off the bipod; until I got the preload right and consistent.

Hope some of that helps.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 29 Aug 2016, 12:07 am

Go buy a 22LR and practise. If you have a flinch no amount of load testing is going to help you until you sort it out.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Mongrel » 29 Aug 2016, 5:17 am

Gwion wrote:Shooting from a bi pod takes practice. You need to 'pre-load' the bi pod by putting forward pressure onto it with your shoulder. With this pressure, you want to achieve a 'natural point of aim', that is, you point of aim is not forced onto the target. So with all hand pressure taken off the stock (soft hands on) and just shoulder preload, your crosshairs should stay on target. All this can be practiced without live ammo. Practice this and you might find those groups improving a bit. No preload and 'muscling' the point of aim is a sure way for shoddy grouping, even with tuned hand loads. My first groups with a bipod went from 0.5moa (off bags) to 1.5+Moa off the bipod; until I got the preload right and consistent.

Hope some of that helps.

Cheers Gwion I will have to check it next time to see if i was pre loading or not, cane remember atm.
Also happy hunter that is on the cards just not yet.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

You have a lot to deal with here, Mongrel so I won't burden you with more advice. Keep us informed about your progress and have a good time :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Aug 2016, 10:42 am

It's me again 8-)
Just back from reading
enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6602#wrap
The OP seems to have the same rifle as you but his screws have loosened, latest post. Might pay to check yours :unknown:
Good Luck :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 06 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Im not sure what changed from 2 weeks ago but the ppu was hitting lower this time round.

It happens.

Check all your scope mounts/screws are tight, just to rule that out. But can be temperature, wind, you... a little variance is to be expected at times.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Browning » 07 Sep 2016, 10:30 pm

You got a mate you go with who is a handy shot? That will help you find the prob....
Will help narrow it down a bit...After that, try a smaller cal like a 22 or a 223 maybe...
Just gotta narrow the possibilities down..
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 08 Sep 2016, 3:56 am

Thanks guys, few things to try, will let ya know how I go with it :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 08 Sep 2016, 4:56 am

Change one thing at a time....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mongrel » 08 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm

Gwion wrote:Change one thing at a time....

I will be mate, otherwise I'd never know the reasons.

Thanks
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges