Doping in target shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Doping in target shooting

Post by mahna » 14 Nov 2013, 6:32 am

I caught the title of an article at my LGS about doping in competition shooting, but was shopping quickly and had to go without reading it.

I must be missing something, how does taking performance enhancing whatever help people shoot better?

(Don't want to do it, just curious :))
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Doping in target shooting

Post by Warrigul » 14 Nov 2013, 12:53 pm

mahna wrote:I caught the title of an article at my LGS about doping in competition shooting, but was shopping quickly and had to go without reading it.

I must be missing something, how does taking performance enhancing whatever help people shoot better?

(Don't want to do it, just curious :))

Beta blockers(a very very common heart medication) in proscribed dosages slow the pulse down and aid handgun shooters. These are on the list of restricted medication.

Steroids allow muscle recovery and aid development of muscle memory, other restricted meds calm the mind and slow tremors.

There is always someone ultra competitive who will make an excuse and go down that path, however dishonest it may be.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Guliver » 14 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_block ... nhancement

Anxiety and performance enhancement

Officially, beta blockers are not approved for anxiolytic use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[17] However, many controlled trials in the past 25 years indicate beta blockers are effective in anxiety disorders, though the mechanism of action is not known.[18] The physiological symptoms of the fight-or-flight response (pounding heart, cold/clammy hands, increased respiration, sweating, etc.) are significantly reduced, thus enabling anxious individuals to concentrate on the task at hand.

Musicians, public speakers, actors, and professional dancers have been known to use beta blockers to avoid performance anxiety, stage fright and tremor during both auditions and public performances. The application to stage fright was first recognized in The Lancet in 1976, and by 1987, a survey conducted by the International Conference of Symphony Orchestra Musicians, representing the 51 largest orchestras in the United States, revealed 27% of its musicians had used beta blockers and 70% obtained them from friends, not physicians.[19] Beta blockers are inexpensive, said to be relatively safe and, on one hand, seem to improve musicians' performances on a technical level, while some[weasel words] say the performances may be perceived as "soulless and inauthentic."[19]

Since they promote lower heart rates and reduce tremors, beta blockers have been used in professional sports where high accuracy is required, including archery, shooting, golf[20] and snooker.[20] Beta blockers are banned by the International Olympic Committee.[21] A recent, high-profile transgression took place in the 2008 Summer Olympics, where 50 metre pistol silver medallist and 10 metre air pistol bronze medallist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medals.

For similar reasons, beta blockers have also been used by stutterers[citation needed] and surgeons.[22]
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kater » 14 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

Not suggesting this but don't some people have a bit of alcohol beforehand too supposedly?

Relaxes the muscles and stops the nerves a little...
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 14 Nov 2013, 4:57 pm

Kater wrote:Not suggesting this but don't some people have a bit of alcohol beforehand too supposedly?

Relaxes the muscles and stops the nerves a little...

List of drugs banned from the Olympics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dr ... e_Olympics

The list of drugs banned from the Olympics[1] is determined by the World Anti-Doping Agency, established in 1999 to deal with the increasing problem of doping in the sports world. The banned substances and techniques fall into the following categories: androgens, blood doping, peptide hormones, stimulants, diuretics, narcotics, and cannabinoids. The use of alcohol (ethanol) is banned in selected sports only during actual competition].
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by grainweight » 14 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

That's a bit of a worry, intentionally getting a few drinks into you before shooting :(
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Berper » 19 Nov 2013, 10:16 am

grainweight wrote:That's a bit of a worry, intentionally getting a few drinks into you before shooting :(

Indeed.

I'm sure there not getting tanked, but I know when I've had 2-3 drinks at home I occasionally have a little blip in concentration and do something silly.

Only dropping a cup or something insignificant like that, but wouldn't be keen to be on a rifle in the same state.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Antie » 19 Nov 2013, 10:45 am

Berper wrote:I'm sure there not getting tanked, but I know when I've had 2-3 drinks at home I occasionally have a little blip in concentration and do something silly.

Only dropping a cup or something insignificant like that, but wouldn't be keen to be on a rifle in the same state.

I do s**t like that. Make myself a coffee then fill the cup with cold water :oops:
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 19 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

grainweight wrote:That's a bit of a worry, intentionally getting a few drinks into you before shooting :(

I'd probably nod off on the rifle :lol:
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges