Mudgee 300m Fly shoot

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Mudgee 300m Fly shoot

Post by Hilux2003 » 14 Sep 2016, 5:33 pm

Coming up in October is the second round of the Mudgee Fly shoot.
Saturday 15th is for rimfire, Sunday 16th is for centrefire & the Friday 14th is for setup, meet & greet and some sighting in from 4pm.
Fly patch for hits on the fly at 300m
IMGfly_20160914_0004.png
IMGfly_20160914_0004.png (44.82 KiB) Viewed 4717 times

As no pdf or doc files allowed, a cut & paste of the format & rules are below.

Mudgee Fly Shoot 2016 Round 2
Friday arvo, 14th to Sunday 16th October 2016, Hosted by: SSAA MUDGEE & DISTRICT BRANCH Inc.
FRIDAY setup & practice
- 1400 - gate open for Camping setup & range discusssion for the weekend.
- 1600 - Range 2 - 200yd rimfire & 300m centrefire practice

SATURDAY
- 0830 sign on & shoot briefing for the day.
- 0900 rimfire at 200 yards, warm up then 2 targets for score.
- 1200 lunch break - bbq - sausage sandos & 'fizzy' (non alcoholic) drink - provided.
- 1300 rimfire at 200 yards, 3 targets for score
- 1600 - practice at 300m for centrefire if requested

SUNDAY
- 0830 sign on & briefing for the day.
- 0900 centrefire at 300 metres, warm up then 2 targets for score.
- 1200 lunch break - bbq - sausage sandos & 'fizzy' (non alcoholic) drink - provided.
- 1300 centrefire at 300 metres, 3 targets for score.
- 1600 packup & clean up range.

Cost: All three days $70, Saturday Rimfire $40, Sunday Centrefire day $40.

Classes: Rimfire rifle & local Factory Class centrefire will qualify for patch & glory on the day.
(no other prises on offer at this time).
Other rifles welcome for practice, as long as they do not interfer with stated classes.

Attendance: please notify by Tuesday 11th October by email.
- which days and how many people (need to organise snags & bread, sauce, etc.).
- No nomination = no lunch provided, You can still attend but may not get fed.
Free Sausage BBQ Lunch Sat. & Sun for competitors. Others $2, drinks $2.
Limited canteen facilities. Tea, coffee & tank water = free, kettle & stove on site, BYO milk.
If camping come self sufficent for Friday & Saturday evening meals & all breakfasts.

ACCOMMODATION: Camping at range, Friday to Sunday (free), Hot showers, BBQ's.
Other Accommodation is available at nearby – Windamere Tourist Park ph:6358 8462.
People to organise own accommodation.
Other accomodation & local features, see: http://www.visitmudgeeregion.com.au/

Range location: Windamere Regional Shooting Complex,
38 km. South of Mudgee on Castlereagh Highway, 300m South of Windamere Dam/Tourist Park turn off. Map on SSAA web site (see below).

NOTES:
- 200yd rimfire match will be conducted as close as possible to current NATIONAL RULE BOOK.
we have scales to weigh in on & they will be available from Friday.
- 300m centrefire match – local Factory Class rules will apply.
- Carry State Licence at all times, No Licence = No Shoot.
- Range 2 is to 300m and is soft target only, no steel.
- Mudgee Fly Patch for hits.
WRSC Range Standing Orders / mandatory rule – no handling of firearms on the firing line while anyone is forward of the shooting line.
This means no using a firearm to set up wind flags, pull the barrel out or use a spotting scope.

If in doubt (so you don't get yelled at), ask the Range Officer first, life is easier that way.

Organisers reserve the right to change the events without notice.

Contacts:
Andy Prowse - mob: 0407 327 327
SSAA Mudgee & District web site http://www.ssaamudgee.com.au/

Mudgee 300M Fly - Factory Class Rules.

Any centrefire rifle which meets the following requirements will be allowed for placings.

Competition will be conducted as close as possible to the normal centrefire Fly rules, with the following provisions:

Any standard rifle from a major manufacturer (nothing listed as a ‘target’ model or manufacturers custom shop). Those listed as Varmit are ok but must have a working magazine.

Must be original factory stock for the model being used, with no modifications as to weight or width.

Action bedding & barrel free-floating allowed.

Must be original factory barrel profile & twist for the model being used. After market barrels are ok provided they are a replica of the factory in all aspects.

Trigger must be safe & withstand a “bump test” if required. After market triggers ok if safe.

Regular hunting chamberings such as: 204Ruger, 222rem, 223Rem, 22/250, 243W, 257Roberts, 6.5x55, 260Rem, 308W, 270W – all welcome.

No benchrest specific actions or actions modified for benchrest application.
Stolle, Baynard, etc.

Scopes up to 25x or taped at 25x, muzzle breaks are allowed, maximum jacketed calibre 8mm.

Rifles shot from sand-bag type rests, seperate front and rear rest or from a bi-pod & rear bag.

It is up to the competitor to provide any proof of originallity of equipment and ammunition chambering at scrutineering. Copy of catalogue, printouts, magazine article, etc.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Mudgee 300m Fly shoot

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2016, 6:38 pm

Out of interest, how small is the fly that's used for 300m ?

I thought the fly shooting was done at longer ranges.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 14 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

The official national fly shoot is conducted at 500 metres for centrefire and 200 yards for rimfire. The official national fly target is used for both events. The 10 score ring is 1.77" (4.5cm) and the fly from the tip of the legs is approximately 1.00" (25mm), the main body of the fly is about 3/4 that size. These are registered national events.

Events conducted at 300 metres are club events only and the targets used vary from a full size national target to a scaled down version for the shorter distance. There are also night time shoots where the target can be half size.

Typical fly targets.
1st is the national target and a club 300m target with normal dimentions but smaller fly and 2nd a typical good small group score with a group measuring 1.182", no easy feat and the newest smallest group shot a few weeks ago measured 0.589" for a 5 shot group @ 500 metres.
The outside #1 ring is 8.54" (21.7cm) , depending on conditions and skills some people have difficulty keeping all 5 shots inside that ring. Plus, the yellow card and red rings/fly also add to the difficulty especially during mirage when you might be lucky to see the target properly or at all during your 7 minute time limit.

It's a lot of fun starting around 8.30-9.00 am and finishing your day around 4.00 pm or later.
Attachments
tn_Picture 002.jpg
tn_Picture 002.jpg (118.68 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
tn_Picture 006.jpg
tn_Picture 006.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Sep 2016, 3:30 pm

Great info Apollo, thanks for that.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Sep 2016, 6:07 pm

Are you involved with this Apollo? What "National Rules" apply for .22's?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2016, 10:01 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Are you involved with this Apollo? What "National Rules" apply for .22's?

I am involevd with this as far as helping "Hilux" with setting up a limited Club 300 Metre & 200 Yard Shoot at Mudgee which he is in charge of. It's his range and rules for this one.

Involved in 500 Metre Fly Shoots, yes, as a competitor and have had great fun doing it. Entered my first 200 Yard shoot last year using a "Rabbit Gun" ....meaning my completely stock standard Brno Model 2 and was very happy in 6th place until my last target. Competing against very expensive Custom Grade Rifles, like 50 of them. Ended up 15th out of near 60 shooters from memory. Great day and extreme fun with a .22LR.

For the past few years I have competed in the National Events with my Mate and his Son who I instruct and do the reloading for. In the past month or so they have 2 x 1st Places under their belt so I have some catching up to do. The best I have is a 4th place in my first ever national competition. My problem is that I'm too old and injured so I have a problem even getting to do the 5 hour trip to attend a shoot.

It's a great competition, a great deal of fun and tests your skills plus great training for out in the paddock hunting / varminting small critters.

The details are here....

http://www.500mflyshooter.com.au/

The Forum there covers the past and present results.

The photo I put up is my target from my first ever competition shoot and it's nothing spectacular as I have been beaten several times for a group record.

Silverdale SSAA in Sydney I believe run the 200 Yard Rimfire shoot on a regular basis, but not as much fun as being out in the Bush with HILUX....he is something different..... :sarcasm: :friends: :sarcasm:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Sep 2016, 9:51 am

Okay thanks for that. Yes, I have shot the Federal Cup fly shoot once. I shot it with my silhouette rifle at that time , Sako L61R action with a 7x57 barrel in an Anschutz style off-hand stock. The established "fly-shooters" laughed at my gear until the end when I had the most shots on fly and 2nd smallest group in windy conditions. :unknown:
Fly target.jpg
Fly target.jpg (174.58 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

First shot was on the leg, next three off to the right due to wind. I wound the wind on to the left to try to get the fly again and as you can see the wind died on me . :oops: If had left it it would have probably landed on the fly and I would have gotten the smallest group of the day. Beginners luck. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 29 Sep 2016, 9:29 pm

200yd rimfire will be as close as possible to the National Rules. :shock:
Timing by stop watch & not a computer generated signal. :lol:

300m centrefire will be to the club Factory rules for any prizes (so far none on offer apart for the 'dummy'), any other guns welcome to come along & shoot. Could be load testing, scope sort out, etc. it is also a club centrefire day, so there could/will be non competitors shooting along side at closer distances.

Keep in mind that muzzle brakes are allowed, we will try to keep them away from the shed end where the noise gets bad BUT they are allowed & encouraged on hunting guns.

Another target from 300m, .223 Sierra 69's & 25gn of 2208
DSCF1911.jpg
DSCF1911.jpg (120.94 KiB) Viewed 4584 times

That last shot does not always end up where you want it, such is the wind at WRSC, practice at reading the local conditions helps, sometimes. :crazy:
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 29 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm

And the score is 41 + 6 + 0.02 = 47.02 = not bad for a young pup. :clap: :clap: :allegedly:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 10 Oct 2016, 11:43 pm

Any one coming to the shoot?

I need to know by 5pm Tuesday 11/10/16, so I have time to organise the food & drinks for lunchs.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 11 Oct 2016, 1:39 pm

Love a good fly shoot :D
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hilux2003 » 11 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

So far no one from this forum has indicated their attendance.
No worries, I let you all know of the next one in 2017.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges