Tannerite in Australia

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Tannerite in Australia

Post by Gun-nut » 16 Nov 2016, 7:23 pm

dpskipper wrote:Not sure about exploding stuff. I believe Tannerite is used in exploding targets. My guess is its banned. If you can't use fireworks then anything else that goes "bang" would be as well. Exblast make some exploding targets that can be sold here. You put some kind of powder in a empty water bottle, pressurize the bottle with a bike bump, and shoot it. It goes pop.

But that's the thing, fireworks are illegal yet people acquire and use them all the time in my area (Melbourne) and the police couldn't care less. Though I do recall they were selling tannerite here in Oz a couple of years back, never heard of anything since.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 16 Nov 2016, 8:18 pm

Don't rely on laissez faire cops. All it takes is one d**khead and they ruin the fun for everyone.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 18 Nov 2016, 11:08 am

Gun-nut wrote:Though I do recall they were selling tannerite here in Oz a couple of years back, never heard of anything since.

It was legal relatively recently I though, banned from import a few years ago or something?

Never used it myself so can't recall exactly.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bren » 18 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

Ok so maybe I can clear a few things up.

Ammounium Nitrate holds a hazard class of oxidiser 5.1 unless mixed with a prescribed fuel.
It then becomes a blasting agent of class 1 and is treated as HE albeit with a lower explosive power. (.6 of tnt)
A few years back after security reviews directly related to the events of 9/11 a nationwide approach to ammonium nitrate was taken.
Ammonium nitrate emulsions and mixtures of greater than 45% AN were determined to be security sensitive and labelled SSAN.(there is a bunch more technical stuff involved but not needed for this post relating to Calcium Ammonium Nitrate emulsions etc).
The percentages of Fuel in AN vary depending on the application but recent events have indicated that contamination of technical grade SSAN as low as .05% increase the explosion risk during transport related events.
Given the Self accelerating decomposition temperature of AN is around 350C its easy to see how transport accidents can happen.
Previous comments have indicated that SSAN cannot explode on its own are technically correct but that assumes technical grade and uncontaminated by any fuel source.(yeah right..coal dust, grass ,wheat grain , rubber , aluminium, organic dirt the list goes on.)
OK so back story over Tannerite was assessed as and all states prohibited the use of the product due to
a - it contained SSAN when in its component parts.
b - its a class 1 explosive when mixed.
c - its illegal to shoot explosives.
d - people in this country were hurt badly with it.

so yeah ..its illegal for good reason
bt
Bren
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 18 Nov 2016, 7:49 pm

Bren wrote:Ok so maybe I can clear a few things up.

Ammounium Nitrate holds a hazard class of oxidiser 5.1 unless mixed with a prescribed fuel.
It then becomes a blasting agent of class 1 and is treated as HE albeit with a lower explosive power. (.6 of tnt)
A few years back after security reviews directly related to the events of 9/11 a nationwide approach to ammonium nitrate was taken.
Ammonium nitrate emulsions and mixtures of greater than 45% AN were determined to be security sensitive and labelled SSAN.(there is a bunch more technical stuff involved but not needed for this post relating to Calcium Ammonium Nitrate emulsions etc).
The percentages of Fuel in AN vary depending on the application but recent events have indicated that contamination of technical grade SSAN as low as .05% increase the explosion risk during transport related events.
Given the Self accelerating decomposition temperature of AN is around 350C its easy to see how transport accidents can happen.
Previous comments have indicated that SSAN cannot explode on its own are technically correct but that assumes technical grade and uncontaminated by any fuel source.(yeah right..coal dust, grass ,wheat grain , rubber , aluminium, organic dirt the list goes on.)
OK so back story over Tannerite was assessed as and all states prohibited the use of the product due to
a - it contained SSAN when in its component parts.
b - its a class 1 explosive when mixed.
c - its illegal to shoot explosives.
d - people in this country were hurt badly with it.

so yeah ..its illegal for good reason
bt

Well...where's the fun in that? :D
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by thegooch » 24 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

It was sold a while back but I cant find anyone who sells it anymore
thegooch
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 25 Mar 2017, 9:21 am

ANFO=1 lb prilled Amonium Nitrate. (The prills are microscopic holes in the little round pelletts of Ammonium Nitrate (AN) to help the diesel absorb). And 1 fluid oz. of diesel. Make up enough to suit the job
Mix in a concrete mixer and let stand for a hour.
You then scoop into a hole where you want to blow stump or rock up.
Tamp in 1/2 stick of gelignite (dynamite) tied off with a couple ft of primacord (explosive cord) to which you attach an electronic or a fire fuse primer. Light fuse and walk away 75 yards. Or, run out wire to the electric blast controller and twist. BOOM

This mix is still used in open cut mines the ANFO is mixed and pumped by large concrete trucks, into the drilled blast holes.
This was the fun we used to have before big bull dozers with rippers came along.

You will notice instructions are in imperial thats how long ago it was that we did this. No licence for the Ammonium Nitrate. Explosive licence needed for the Gelignite, Primacord and Detonators
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rgo » 25 Mar 2017, 9:42 am

It is now SSAN (security sensitive ammonium nitrate) You can still by the prilled fertiliser type which is coated so it won't absorb Fuel Oil (diesel).
I was a shotfirer for over 20 yrs.
Rgo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges