Revoke his man card....

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Revoke his man card....

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2016, 12:13 pm

So I went down the range the other day for some load testing and a bit of time to myself.

Happily blasting away at clays, gongs and paper from 50m-500m with a variety of rifles from .223 to 45-70. (Left the .22's at home)

I took down a few milsurps to test some hand loads and cause I just like shooting them.

They more often than not ,gather a bit of interest from fellow shooters and I am always happy to talk about guns with anyone who cares to listen (as most of us are).

I was shooting my savage no.4 .303 when a guy wanders up and starts asking about it.
I answered a few questions about its history and function then I offered him a shot.

I noticed he had been shooting a super tacticalised .223 .

He at first was a bit hesitant. I then (all in good fun) suggested he not be a soft cock and have a go.

He was a larger man, at least 6ft tall. So not a pipsqueak by any stretch.
Sits down at the bench, quick instruction on avoiding rimlock and off he goes. Target was at 50m

First shot went into the dirt about 15 meters short and 2 meters left of the target. I had to stifle a laugh. He turned and looked at me and says "I think I pulled that one a bit"...no s**t....."we call that one a 'worm burner', try again", he lets rip with another shot that I can only assume went way over the top because I didn't see a bullet strike anywhere near it.

I've seen some pretty bad flinching and pretty average shooting but all I could say was 'wow'. At least he had fun though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Revoke his man card....

Post by albat » 14 Nov 2016, 1:59 pm

By the sounds of it with that tactical rig he dont do much hunting thank f---k!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 14 Nov 2016, 3:26 pm

I would have stopped him there, talked him through the mil trigger, sights and got him to relax a bit with a few dry firings then let him have another go

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2016, 3:53 pm

I talked him through the sights before the first shot. Then after he shanked the first one I gave a few more tips on sight picture and holding the rifle. But it's hard to tell a stranger to basically stop being a little bitch. I've seen 14 year old girls do a far better job. It was kind of embarrassing lol. I've taught plenty of people to shoot, and having his own rifle I wouldn't have thought he needed much instruction. It really was the worst effort I've ever seen. And I've seen some pretty poor efforts.

Bit more time of course it could be fixed, just made me laugh a bit is all, never seen someone miss so badly from a bench at 50m. No one expects pinpoint accuracy first few shots but 15m short and 2m wide is just.....wow
Last edited by Supaduke on 14 Nov 2016, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Nov 2016, 4:37 pm

Haha 303 certainly isn't anything to flinch about, the no 4's weight soakes up heaps of recoil
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 14 Nov 2016, 4:52 pm

Had a crazy girlfriend for a while.My mate and I have worked it out.They are usually attractive and shapely but the first warning is how they are on the run then you find out their own kids have a restraining order on them but its not their fault,They never have any money and within a very short time they are under the illusion that without them the business would fail.We met quite a few running an outback tourist resort.Anyhoo I got involved with this particular girl and she was keen to do the roo culling thing.So I set her up with a rest and the .222 but she never hit a thing.totally refused to drive the ute.30 shots into it after several nights she confessed after getting angry and it was my fault of course that she could not see through the scope it was all black.I tried coaching but that was out of order.Eventually another guy shooting with us got into her about getting angry all the time when it was her fault and she stopped coming.In fairness I spent hours trying to help her.She could never put the bullets in either she would jam the first one then panic.I took a girl from Israel out and she was a killing machine.did 10 years in the Army there.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 14 Nov 2016, 5:38 pm

Look to be perfectly honest, I expect that from 303. I'm guessing this is why you're buying a Mosin now, something better, more manly! Heckler303 Jr. would agree with me here, this is why he's on the 303 wagon, just can't handle this recoil.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Nov 2016, 5:56 pm

You want some nice recoil, I loaded up some really hot 325gr jacketed 45-70. 50grs of 2207, yeah that kicks like a mule. Shooting the .223 after that was like touching off a .22lr. I have heard the Mosins are similar to a 30-06 for recoil. I find my 30-06 to be a very comfortable shooter. Getting the full length 91/30 , I dare say it will be quite heavy and a fairly soft shooter.

In hindsight, I think of the angle off target required to miss by that much at 50m and it's a bit scary.

And everyone knows the Russians were always tanked on vodka so it softened the recoil blow ;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 16 Nov 2016, 9:43 am

Supaduke wrote:You want some nice recoil, I loaded up some really hot 325gr jacketed 45-70. 50grs of 2207, yeah that kicks like a mule. Shooting the .223 after that was like touching off a .22lr. I have heard the Mosins are similar to a 30-06 for recoil. I find my 30-06 to be a very comfortable shooter. Getting the full length 91/30 , I dare say it will be quite heavy and a fairly soft shooter.

In hindsight, I think of the angle off target required to miss by that much at 50m and it's a bit scary.

And everyone knows the Russians were always tanked on vodka so it softened the recoil blow ;)

I did the same the other week with my 9.3x62, synthetic stock open sights 57gr AR2208 pushing 270gr Speer solid points. Won't do that regularly off the bench, went back to .308 was like shooting my .222
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Nov 2016, 5:44 pm

FYI. the bigger/heavier you are the more recoil hurts. This is because you do not move back with the recoil, so you get bruised, but if you are lightly built the butt pushes you back. Result is less felt recoil. Simple physics really.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges