Silverdale Branch - SSAA Sydney

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Silverdale Branch - SSAA Sydney

Post by Hangfire » 11 Dec 2016, 8:39 pm

Hi All,

I have been shooting at this range for the last few months and was wondering if any of you had come across or could explain a particular rule they had.

On this range you are not allowed to use you rifles magazine you need to single load your rounds?

Sadly i cannot see the reason for this bar they have a concern someone going nuts? So this is the SSAA Sydney branch's range and they don't trust their members enough to load their mags?

Please help me out hoping someone has heard or come across the reason for this.

Regards,
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Silverdale Branch - SSAA Sydney

Post by Chronos » 11 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm

The reason is based on the fact that for the most part that range operates like a target range. Unlike many other ranges that originated as military ranges where because of the military SOP is for rifles to be cleared before being taken off the firing line.

Single round loading takes the load off RO's because every shooter is then responsible for clearing their own rifle rather than the RO having to be called to clear every rifle every time it's taken from the firing line.

Imaging an RO having to clear 40-50 rifles every hour for target changes as well as every time a shooter swaps rifles or leaves

You can however ask an RO to allow you to load a magazine and check its function but of course he will want to wait to clear the mag when you're done.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Hangfire » 11 Dec 2016, 9:14 pm

Thank you mate,

Being ex military i was actually surprised they didn't clear rifles from the range but what you mentioned makes some sense, and single loading does simplify that.

Any idea how they handle lever actions? Same i'm assuming just curious.

Is this a common practise for target ranges or a Silverdale rule?
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 12 Dec 2016, 7:42 am

Not sure how common it is, pretty standard to remove bolts and have them cleared by an RO.

It would be good if orgs like SSAA could present a uniform set of rules across all ranges though

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 12 Dec 2016, 7:56 am

Hangfire wrote:Any idea how they handle lever actions? Same i'm assuming just curious.

Same approach. One round in and that's it. Same if you are using a lever action shotgun on the clays.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges