Well that was fun

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Well that was fun

Post by deye243 » 26 Jan 2017, 11:52 pm

so I suppose going out to do a 22lr scope shake down is target work Oh well ....... well anyway I pull up next to the

dam at the bottom of the hill and the reason I do 22 work here is there are rocks everywhere all the way out

to 240 yards , so a good place to see how the varmint hunters rec will work on my new Lithgow LA101 so I

set up my portable bench and rifle on the rest and i am looking through the scope to find the 1st rock at 140

yards and as I was looking through the scope for longer than normal I was having trouble keeping my right

eye shut (yep I'm left eye dominant) I could have sworn I seen something dark and moving just off the right .

so I have a look and for the next 15 or so seconds as he was only about 6 or 7 yards in front I even think I forgot

to breathe and I watched this bloke slither past with his head just up a bit I recon he knew I was there as when

he got past he sped up "a lot" so I jumped up and grabbed the camera and followed him over to the dam and took

his photo he was about 4' long and very majestic to watch .

deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: well that was fun

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Jan 2017, 1:19 am

Healthy looking Joe Blake! Lucky bloke getting nature studies with your shooting, though better he didn't stop to "chat"!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 Jan 2017, 2:28 am

Being an American and not knowing a thing about Australia and its snakes, except that Australia has 11 of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world, I have to ask, what type of snake is that?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 27 Jan 2017, 3:08 am

it's a red belly black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) and they have a nice disposition as far as snakes go so I done knock them

as they predate on other snakes and around here we have some rather nasty buggers like the Eastern Tiger Snake Eastern Brown Snake.

which are in the worlds top 10 deadly .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 27 Jan 2017, 6:19 am

I can hear the dandruff falling as GLS and Title are scratching their heads as they ponder this snake that's so badass that it eats two of the ten "deadliest" :-)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Jan 2017, 6:35 am

For our American / international friends

IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4605.JPG (162.39 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 27 Jan 2017, 8:32 am

deye243 wrote:it's a red belly black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus) and they have a nice disposition as far as snakes go so I done knock them

as they predate on other snakes and around here we have some rather nasty buggers like the Eastern Tiger Snake Eastern Brown Snake.

which are in the worlds top 10 deadly .

It's only the browns that bother me. The others are a survivable option :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 27 Jan 2017, 9:18 am

It appears that some Eastern browns have managed to make their way over here. They're closely related to dugites and some hybrids have recently been found. Still quite rare, though.

Fortunately, the most prevalent snake around my area is the dugite (followed by tiger). Dangerous? Yes. But they prefer to get out of your way than to strike. Also not uncommon to dry bite when they do strike. Having said that, two dogs were lost to dugites near my parents earlier in the season.

Oh, for our American friends, dugite is pronounced djoo gyte
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Jan 2017, 9:35 am

Does look nice and plump.....

We have 11 of the top 11 here?? Straya!

On the bright side we dont have 4 of the top 25....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by tom604 » 27 Jan 2017, 11:15 am

16298826_687449754759967_1577693047446272683_n.jpg
16298826_687449754759967_1577693047446272683_n.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 Jan 2017, 12:41 pm

Wylie27 wrote:For our American / international friends

IMG_4605.JPG

Thanks for the list. I did notice it did not include the Coral snake, it is America's neurotoxic venomous snake. Interestingly there is a variation of the Kingsnake, which is our primary snake eating snake, that has markings similar to coral snake.

What makes the Eastern Diamondback so deadly is it's copious injection of venom along with a rotten disposition.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 27 Jan 2017, 1:01 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:
What makes the Eastern Diamondback so deadly is it's copious injection of venom along with a rotten disposition.

Same with Eastern Brown & the Fierce Snake (inland taipan). Not only is the venom extremely toxic but they are both very aggressive, as is coastal taipan. They will attack and inflict multiple strikes. Fierce snake is rarely encountered due to its natural distribution being very remote. Eastern Browns are very common throughout south eastern states, even in populated areas. That said, most snakes are very shy and will prefer to retreat than to attack. Just don't try to pat them or poke them with a stick and watch where you put your feet when in their habitat.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 27 Jan 2017, 2:10 pm

There are a lot of Tiger snakes where I shoot. Damn
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Archie » 27 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Gwion wrote:watch where you put your feet when in their habitat.

This. The one time I have nearly got got, bushwalking, I made the classic mistake of stepping just over the rock and not on it. The snake I stepped on (red belly) did a runner and probably wasn't going to bite me anyway - but the difference was that although the snake was probably as scared of me as I was of it, the snake wasn't about to fall off a cliff-side track with 200 ft to drop before he bounced of something. Lucky I caught a sapling with my hand before I went over the edge, double lucky I wasn't as fat then as I am now. "He died like he lived - not paying any bloody attention"
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 27 Jan 2017, 7:09 pm

I know all those serpants on that list there are capable of putting down a good dose but how do you rank the venom cus i thought they all act in different ways depending on the snake?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 28 Jan 2017, 2:17 am

duncan61 wrote:There are a lot of Tiger snakes where I shoot. Damn

Might I suggest a Ruger Single-Six with the 6 1/2 inch barrel. Quite effective at point blank range with CCI shot cartridges and of course at any, reasonable, distance with solid/hollow point.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 28 Jan 2017, 4:18 pm

albat wrote:I know all those serpants on that list there are capable of putting down a good dose but how do you rank the venom cus i thought they all act in different ways depending on the snake?

Venom toxicities are measured by LD50 (lethal dose 50%):
http://www.venomsupplies.com/toxicity/

More about snakes than you probably want to know:
http://snakedatabase.org/pages/LD50.php
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 28 Jan 2017, 5:15 pm

Eastern Browns have don't have a very effective delivery system. Very short fangs. It might be why they evolved to have such highly potent venom but that's a wild guess. We have heaps of them around here and I just wear leather boots and loose pants for protection during the season.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges