Rimfire Metallic Silhouette targets

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Rimfire Metallic Silhouette targets

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

Seems my brother might be interested in trying this.
Where would I get a set of the targets though?
Or at least a set of drawings so I can make my own?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Rimfire Metallic Silhouette targets

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2017, 3:12 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 01 Feb 2017, 3:58 pm

less than $100 on feebly.

Local clubs have them cut so you should be able to get a file with drawings.

or

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/PDF/To-Scale-Targets.pdf
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2017, 6:17 pm

knowsnothin wrote:less than $100 on feebly.

Local clubs have them cut so you should be able to get a file with drawings.

or

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/PDF/To-Scale-Targets.pdf

Thanks for that :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

Received a very heavy bag of 20 Rimfire Metallic Silhouette targets today.
Very impressed with them.

$149 delivered from the US in sixteen days.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250974148125

Or $350+postage from STS.
http://stsonline.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_64&product_id=60

Considering the postage from the US was $49 that makes the STS targets 3.5 times the price to make.

A36 steel is 244HB compared to the Bisalloy's 400BH.
I can't see that being relevant though against subsonic soft lead bullets.

At almost $400 I'd rather make them myself than buy them, but I can't make them for $150.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 22 Feb 2017, 9:54 pm

That's a f'n good price bladeracer. For stands for them I use rail line or another more portable way is to make them out of 25 x 10 flat bar. Cut pieces to match the foot of each target and then weld each to a leg of the same bar, ( making a "T"), that can then be hammered into the ground where-ever you choose to practice. Ideally you want your targets to be a couple of inches off the ground.
Be careful, silhouette can be addictive. :allegedly: :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Feb 2017, 12:31 am

Did you get any extras, so you can make "swingers"?
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2017, 7:09 am

GLS_1956 wrote:Did you get any extras, so you can make "swingers"?

Not yet, but if I'm still impressed with these after I give them a good thrashing I will definitely be ordering more of them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Feb 2017, 7:17 am

They will take a lot of hits mate. I think you will find that they will last a lifetime. I made a set up 18 years ago out of mild steel and they are still going strong. You'll just need another 5 of each for a full set, you'll soon get sick of walking down to stand 5 up! :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2017, 7:23 am

@bladeracer
Great find mate, I'll order a set today for myself.

Be careful, silhouette can be addictive

You're not kidding, Wylie27, ItsMe and myself don't miss the rimfire silhouette competitions at St Marys. Making chickens fly gives one a warm fuzzy feeling :D I find that I'm shooting almost a brick of 22 a week at the moment, maybe I need an intervention or a trip to rehab :lol:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 23 Feb 2017, 1:33 pm

brett1868 wrote:@bladeracer
Great find mate, I'll order a set today for myself.

Be careful, silhouette can be addictive

You're not kidding, Wylie27, ItsMe and myself don't miss the rimfire silhouette competitions at St Marys. Making chickens fly gives one a warm fuzzy feeling :D I find that I'm shooting almost a brick of 22 a week at the moment, maybe I need an intervention or a trip to rehab :lol:

I thought that went without saying, Brett! :unknown: :drinks: :thumbsup: ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Feb 2017, 2:45 pm

Myself and others I shoot with have found that the soothing taste of beer after a shoot, settles the nerves and desire to get straight back into it. :drinks: Maybe I should organize a week-end of rehab, or introduction, here at the ranch. :friends:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 Feb 2017, 2:17 am

Be careful, silhouette can be addictive. :allegedly: :thumbsup:[/quote]

No truer statement can be said.

I ended up getting a Browning BPCR in 45-70 and a 22LR liner, just so I could shoot 22LR BPCR matches.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Feb 2017, 6:56 am

So GLS_1956, are you going to the Nationals at the Whittington Centre, Raton NM? You'll have to say "G'day", I think I'll be the only Aussie there, although Brett1868 was talking about going to a long range event in the week prior to the Lever - action event.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 01 Mar 2017, 1:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:Never mind - I found some :-)

Ouch, $350.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 01 Mar 2017, 5:01 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Myself and others I shoot with have found that the soothing taste of beer after a shoot, settles the nerves and desire to get straight back into it. :drinks: Maybe I should organize a week-end of rehab, or introduction, here at the ranch. :friends:

It would have to be a bloody looooong weekend of rehab to get over our silhouette addiction mate :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

I will get my fix at the QLD State Titles, :crazy:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 02 Mar 2017, 4:48 am

Gamerancher wrote:So GLS_1956, are you going to the Nationals at the Whittington Centre, Raton NM? You'll have to say "G'day", I think I'll be the only Aussie there, although Brett1868 was talking about going to a long range event in the week prior to the Lever - action event.

Gamerancher: Man I'd love to, I've never made it to Raton. I'll check to see if a friend of mine is going, he's made it once or so. If he is I'll try to get you two in touch with one another.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2017, 6:35 am

Gamerancher wrote:So GLS_1956, are you going to the Nationals at the Whittington Centre, Raton NM? You'll have to say "G'day", I think I'll be the only Aussie there, although Brett1868 was talking about going to a long range event in the week prior to the Lever - action event.

I'm planning to be in Raton June 27 - July 2 to shoot "King of 2 Miles" and the FCSA World Championships but this is all up in the air at the moment. My 50BR needs to be finished and I need to get load development done as I'm not going unless I can at least be competitive. Would be great to meet up with fellow Aussies there.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 02 Mar 2017, 8:03 am

Hey Brett, there is about a ten week lead time with the ATF paperwork. It is worthwhile getting it organised even if there is a chance that you won't travel, it is easier to cancel than get in short order. I got caught out last year due to having to have two lots of shoulder surgery, I wasn't sure if I would be able to shoot and by the time I worked out that I could it was too late to get the U.S permit. Luckily I had a generous mate over there that loaned me rifles for the event. The Aussie paperwork can be done in the last month before you travel, if you already have a CCID number.
We fly into Dallas 21st June and plan on getting to Raton on the 2nd July as I will be calling the line at the CLAS Nationals the week before I shoot the BPCR Silhouette Nationals.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 02 Mar 2017, 9:47 am

Gamerancher wrote:Hey Brett, there is about a ten week lead time with the ATF paperwork. It is worthwhile getting it organised even if there is a chance that you won't travel, it is easier to cancel than get in short order. I got caught out last year due to having to have two lots of shoulder surgery, I wasn't sure if I would be able to shoot and by the time I worked out that I could it was too late to get the U.S permit. Luckily I had a generous mate over there that loaned me rifles for the event. The Aussie paperwork can be done in the last month before you travel, if you already have a CCID number.
We fly into Dallas 21st June and plan on getting to Raton on the 2nd July as I will be calling the line at the CLAS Nationals the week before I shoot the BPCR Silhouette Nationals.

Excellent info, much appreciated the heads up on the lead times. I spoke to Paul Cohrs couple days ago and he's going to let me know all the details about where I can ship the rifle as I'll want it there at least a week before I arrive. The biggest hurdle has given me her approval to attend so ill get into the paperwork this week. Do you have any links to ATF with what I need to do? I'm not looking forward to the shipping bill as just the barrel / action was $1080 USD for airfreight to Sydney. Can't imagine how much for return shipping fully configured and boxed at 40-50kgs will be...I'll contact you privately closer to the date to organise a catch up over there rather then hijack this thread further.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges