Freehand shooting, try to stabilize or anticipate swaying?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Freehand shooting, try to stabilize or anticipate swayin

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 9:05 am

A lot of 22lr ammunition (according to the JB charts I've done) are 'transonic' anywhere between 50-70m. It really surprised me how quickly they dumped velocity after the 50mark.

One of my 22lr will shoot tight to 50, well enough for reliable kill shots to 70-80 but trying to group at 100 is all over the shop!
My theory is it is losing stability at transonic, which only effects it slightly by 70m but by 100m the unstable bullet can be anywhere in an 6" diameter due to a varied level of instability (yore & pitch) which is also effected by slight changes in conditions during and after the transonic phase.

Haven't tried any subs or target ammo as variety is pretty slim locally.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 9:07 am

Gamerancher, im surprised the subsonic loads have enough left to knock over the targets out at 100!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2017, 2:41 pm

Nah mate, no worries at all at 100m. There were blokes who had doubts that they would work @ 200m when we started that game but I'm yet to have a ram stand. It is surprising how accurate it can be, I've shot 200m groups well under 3" with vernier sights.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 13 Feb 2017, 4:04 pm

Gwion wrote:A lot of 22lr ammunition (according to the JB charts I've done) are 'transonic' anywhere between 50-70m. It really surprised me how quickly they dumped velocity after the 50mark.

One of my 22lr will shoot tight to 50, well enough for reliable kill shots to 70-80 but trying to group at 100 is all over the shop!
My theory is it is losing stability at transonic, which only effects it slightly by 70m but by 100m the unstable bullet can be anywhere in an 6" diameter due to a varied level of instability (yore & pitch) which is also effected by slight changes in conditions during and after the transonic phase.

Haven't tried any subs or target ammo as variety is pretty slim locally.

Exactly the reason to use subsonic ammo at 100 and even 200m G, supersonic ammo goes transonic as you say at around 70 m where as subsonic ammo doesn't suffer this issue

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 5:20 pm

Good to know they still have enough punch at 200! I thought subsonic ammo was just a paper punch at that range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 13 Feb 2017, 5:27 pm

Gwion wrote:Good to know they still have enough punch at 200! I thought subsonic ammo was just a paper punch at that range.

710fps CCI Quiet will penetrate corrugated steel wall cladding out to about 165m. At 180m it was bouncing off, though leaving a decent dent.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 13 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

Gwion wrote:Good to know they still have enough punch at 200! I thought subsonic ammo was just a paper punch at that range.

To be clear I was mainly talking about bullet stability at 200m, not energ. only ever shot paper out there

At 100m where silhouette rams are shot they will knock a ram down but the target won't fly like a chicken or pig will when hit, more a topple over

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 13 Feb 2017, 9:07 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Try CCI standard, RWS Geco, Federal target, SK magazine at the lower end of the price range, it just goes up from there. I've found that Euro rifles tend to shoot Euro ammo better, however, one of my Sako's loves the top grade Federal. Nothing is a certain bet when it comes to .22LR ammo.
In testing for silhouette I have found that most ammo will hold fairly well out to 76m, (turkey distance), the test is what will group at 100m. Ideally, you strive for under 1 and 1/2 inch for more consistent target hits. Tighter the better of course. Suck it and see is about the only thing you can do.

What range are you shooting at mate, if their Turkeys are at 76m I'll be protesting,lol

Anyway, lots of good advice here for the OP to get started with silhouette shooting, I will throw in a few other things worth considering, balance of the rifle is important, everyone prefers something different but a very front heavy rifle becomes tiring for the support arm and back muscles, the stock's length of pull should be so you are not straining to reach the trigger, learn to shoot with both eyes open as it helps with balance and too much practice is never enough ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 8:23 am

Sorry Strikey, fat fingers and no proof read :oops: , 77m is the correct distance for rimfire chickens.
O.P was talking about having a go with the rifle he already has, which I don't think he has told us what his set-up is.( rifle, scope )
Cheers Mate
Dan :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges