Rifle recommendations for a beginner

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Rifle recommendations for a beginner

Post by MrB » 15 Feb 2017, 4:14 pm

Hello all,

I've been both prone and bench shooting .22s now for almost six months at my local club and am getting to the stage where I would like to purchase my own rifle.

I'm licensed and have compliant storage facilities so all that I am still left to take care of is my choice of rifle.

I have decided to get the prone rifle first and after a bit of online research I have generally concluded that Anschutz would probably be the best for me. All the guys at the club either shoot with Anschutz or FWB and the club rifle which I currently use is an Anschutz. I have found it to be a pretty decent manufacturer.

Whilst I would really like to get the Anschutz 1907, I don't really want to spend more than $2000 for the rifle so I have instead been looking at the 1903. There seems to be a wide variety of opinion on the 1903 with some dismissing it out of hand as a junior style rifle and others saying that whilst it is much cheaper than the others, it is still a respectable choice.

Do you guys happen to have any thoughts on the 1903, and also, would there be any other similar rifles which you would recommend that are of equivalent performance and price? I have had a great deal of difficulty finding second hand rifles of the style that I need. Perhaps you might know of some good sites or stores to visit?

If it helps, I shoot 20m indoor and am a rather short fellow.

Thanks a bunch
MrB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Rifle recommendations for a beginner

Post by BBJ » 17 Feb 2017, 1:51 pm

MrB wrote:There seems to be a wide variety of opinion on the 1903 with some dismissing it out of hand as a junior style rifle and others saying that whilst it is much cheaper than the others, it is still a respectable choice.

There is the '1903 Junior' model which is a youth oriented rifle.

There's also the standard '1903 Target small bore rifle'. It has the Match 64 action, adjustable 2-stage trigger, adjustable cheek piece. All known to be quality from Annie.

The 1907 has the slightly heaver barrel and action, but the 1903 is less than half the price. So what's not to like?

I'd say the people turning their nose up at it as a junior rifle are talking s**t because they saw the world 'junior' in a catalogue once. How many of them have actually used the rifle do you reckon? It's plain stupid to compare a $4,000 rifle to a $2,000 then bag the cheaper one.

The 1903 seems like a smart fit for your criteria IMO.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by in2anity » 08 Mar 2017, 6:37 am

Yep agreed - for ISSF style prone, you will by far be the biggest variable. 1903 would be more than adequate.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ten » 08 Mar 2017, 3:02 pm

The 64 action is a mistake. I'd look around for a used 1407/1807 for $500-$800. Ten.
Ten
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SPRINT-GTO » 29 Mar 2017, 12:38 pm

Have a look at the Anschutz 1712 or 1710 both rifles are a 54 action 1712 is slightly lighter than 1710.
Both rifles are excellent ++ target rifles ,ideal benchrest or hunting.
You wont go wrong with either rifle.
SPRINT-GTO
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 10 Apr 2017, 11:55 am

Ten wrote:The 64 action is a mistake.

Because?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimmyS » 09 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

TBH I went just straight out for a 30-30.

I was in the Army for a short while and the teach you how to shoot correctly, luckily I didn't form any bad habits prior to my stint.
I have never believed that you need to start out on a .22 - obviously its the best choice if you really are taking your first steps, but as long as you learn the correct stances, not to flinch your trigger finger, and pull on the trigger slowly, correct sight picture if your using a scope etc etc you'll be fine.
I'd start off with a .223 CZ if I were you, but I presume you've already made your decision.

What'd you end up goin with?
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges