Scouts going shooting.

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Scouts going shooting.

Post by Noisydad » 27 May 2017, 8:43 pm

A4D29EB1-064F-48CA-9CF4-4E811DF831F6.jpg
A4D29EB1-064F-48CA-9CF4-4E811DF831F6.jpg (410.12 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Tomorrow I'm taking my Scout troop and families to the Seymour Black Powder Club for an introduction to shooting.
With help from some club members my Scouts will get to try out everything from .22, .32-20, .44-40, .40-65, .50-70 to muzzle loading .45, .54 and .58 cal rifles.
One of the fellas is evening bringing 2 Remington rolling block rifle in .32-20 that are stamped "Boy Scout Association of America" on the barrel. These were only built from 1914-1916.
We did a firearms safety session with the kids on Thursday night and even those not coming got right into it.
It's gunna be a big day but a great way to recruit new shooters because these days numbers are everything!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Scouts going shooting.

Post by bigpete » 27 May 2017, 8:46 pm

Now that is cool
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 27 May 2017, 11:55 pm

This is good thing . My local "Friends of The NRA" chapter has received grants, for the past several years, to support the range that regional Boy Scout Troops use to qualify for their shooting badges. Quite a few of the younger shooters I've met were introduce to shooting through the BSA.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 28 May 2017, 12:17 am

Good work noisy , I'm glad there are people like you in this world educating our kids :)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 May 2017, 12:32 am

Good on you mate! What a way to spend the day, keep an eye out for the weather up there
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2017, 7:27 am

Looks like you will get lucky with the weather. Only showers predicted.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 May 2017, 8:56 am

Great stuff. Wish there was more of this. Took my young fella to the local scout group and it was pretty soft. He lost interest really quickly. Pushed two and half boxes of 22lr ammo down range at a gong with him yesterday. The grinning hasn't stopped yet. I expect you'll get the same reaction from the scouts.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 28 May 2017, 9:13 am

Well done Noisy.

Possibly get the kids wondering why some folks hate a 100 yo piece of timber and steel.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 May 2017, 10:22 am

Very happily stunned ya got permission to do this. Great work noisydad :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 28 May 2017, 12:37 pm

Legend
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by pete1 » 28 May 2017, 1:16 pm

I remember when i was 12 on a scout camp down Mt Martha they let us use air rifles. Was heaps of fun, safe environment, Don't see how people can complain. Theres always being archery in scout camps, but its good to give the kids something different and get them interested in the sport.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 28 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Well there huge smiles all round! We had 11 Scouts including the littlest one of the troop but she was right in there having a go and 7 parents who had a good go to.
A couple of dads had used shotties before but none had ever tried black powder and certainly never the big bore rifles or muzzle loading cap locks and flintlocks.
Two of the boys shone scoring 3/3 at the 600 yard "Big Buffalo" with my .40-65 Sharps. One of the smaller boys - all 40 kgs of him - even dived in behind the huge .58 cal Remington (Zouve) with its 580 bullet and loved it!
Unfortunately shooting the 2" bore Mountain Howitzer loaded with grape shot (the last event) was washed out by the mother of all thunderstorms which appeared from now where and brought horizontal hail that piled up in utes and on car bonnets and monsoonal rain that roared down. Even that couldn't wash the smiles away though.
Club members who helped out are red hot keen to do it again next year and so are the Scouts.
I reckon Victoria will notch up another dozen or so license applications!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 May 2017, 8:05 pm

Good onya Noisy. Well-done.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 28 May 2017, 8:14 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Great stuff. Wish there was more of this. Took my young fella to the local scout group and it was pretty soft. He lost interest really quickly. Pushed two and half boxes of 22lr ammo down range at a gong with him yesterday. The grinning hasn't stopped yet. I expect you'll get the same reaction from the scouts.

Put a uniform on then. It'd be the best years you and your boy will have and you get to toughen the troop up a bit.
Kids (particularly boys) of Scout age need actual, real adventure in their life. It's quite important for mental development as this is the age where they're discovering a world beyond home and where they find out what they can manage by themselves. The need for adventure is why boys are so attracted by the popular computer games they seem addicted to but I've found if you put real adventure in front of them and better still train them to plan and run their own, they will drop the computer games like a hot potato!
Last weekend we had 3 patrols take part in a state wide competition hike in the Tallarook State Forest involving plotting a page of grid references on a map to get them around as many check point/activity sites as possible. They hiked 27km over the 2 days carrying everything on their backs. One of my patrols scored equal gold putting them in the top 8% in the state. There were 150 odd patrols!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 28 May 2017, 9:04 pm

What a contrast to kids who have never been exposed to real weather and laughed as they take shelter in the lee of whatever is available whilst nature has a go.

The Duke of Wellington would have been pissed off if weather had stopped his cannon but as there were presumably no French downrange all is good.

Your Scout Navex stuff has me impressed.
I was privileged to shoot a cannon at that range a few years back, a good friend invited me whilst his military re enactors group shot a 3" [approx] cannon to proof test.

Double shotted and double charged I was pleased to be in the bunker when the gun discharged.

You do good work my friend.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 May 2017, 9:49 pm

Noisydad wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:Great stuff. Wish there was more of this. Took my young fella to the local scout group and it was pretty soft. He lost interest really quickly. Pushed two and half boxes of 22lr ammo down range at a gong with him yesterday. The grinning hasn't stopped yet. I expect you'll get the same reaction from the scouts.

Put a uniform on then. It'd be the best years you and your boy will have and you get to toughen the troop up a bit.
Kids (particularly boys) of Scout age need actual, real adventure in their life. It's quite important for mental development as this is the age where they're discovering a world beyond home and where they find out what they can manage by themselves. The need for adventure is why boys are so attracted by the popular computer games they seem addicted to but I've found if you put real adventure in front of them and better still train them to plan and run their own, they will drop the computer games like a hot potato!
Last weekend we had 3 patrols take part in a state wide competition hike in the Tallarook State Forest involving plotting a page of grid references on a map to get them around as many check point/activity sites as possible. They hiked 27km over the 2 days carrying everything on their backs. One of my patrols scored equal gold putting them in the top 8% in the state. There were 150 odd patrols!

I looked into, and very nearly did sign up to do the training to be a leader. At the time I had a full load on my plate and was trying to decide how involved to get. Then my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy put the kabosh on a lot of stuff. She's OK now but the kids have moved on to different interests now so the scout thing has gone by the wayside for us. Great to see and hear about your involvement and the opportunity your giving those kids.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 28 May 2017, 10:48 pm

Yep. That situation surely would put the brakes on!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges