Reading groups

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Reading groups

Post by rsj223 » 20 Jul 2017, 8:11 am

When I get some time I will test the torque settings, Ruger book says 35in lb
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Jul 2017, 8:52 am

rsj223 wrote:When I get some time I will test the torque settings, Ruger book says 35in lb

Sounds like a hell of a lot for a rim fire but if that's what it says then test all the way up to 35in/lb... even more bang bang! :D :clap: :friends:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 20 Jul 2017, 7:11 pm

Whats the thoughts on making clamp type rest/stand to fix the rifle into position and tested to see how far out I or it is?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jul 2017, 8:09 pm

rsj223 wrote:Whats the thoughts on making clamp type rest/stand to fix the rifle into position and tested to see how far out I or it is?

When I was trying to get Bob's old .22 to shoot I resorted to putting the action in a vice. Didn't improve the groups at all though.
I'd suggest having somebody else that shoots consistently well have a go with it. He may even be able to pinpoint the problem if there is one.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Jul 2017, 8:37 am

rsj223 wrote:Whats the thoughts on making clamp type rest/stand to fix the rifle into position and tested to see how far out I or it is?

Won't give you a real idea of how it shoots because the rifle is not able to recoil at all. Yes, i know it's only a 22lr but still...
Also won't help you to learn to shoot better.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jul 2017, 8:55 am

I seem to have more trouble with the .22
This is the best group I ever got with my .308 bags on the ground
Attachments
20150607_134636 - Copy.jpg
20150607_134636 - Copy.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

That's pretty good, mate. Just need to be able to do it consistently.

22lr are finicky. Maybe you are just taking a more casual approach to shooting the 22 because it's "just a 22" but you take it more seriously when shooting your 308win?
Look, i'm sure there is more to do with the rifle in finding the load it likes and tuning the torque, etc but it really looks that technique is contributing to the group variation. Maybe just pick a round and shoot a brick of it (not all at once), concentrating on your technique and see how the groups improve after that?

Just throwing out ideas. Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by rsj223 » 21 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm

Gwion wrote:That's pretty good, mate. Just need to be able to do it consistently.

22lr are finicky. Maybe you are just taking a more casual approach to shooting the 22 because it's "just a 22" but you take it more seriously when shooting your 308win?
Look, i'm sure there is more to do with the rifle in finding the load it likes and tuning the torque, etc but it really looks that technique is contributing to the group variation. Maybe just pick a round and shoot a brick of it (not all at once), concentrating on your technique and see how the groups improve after that?

Just throwing out ideas. Cheers.

Yeah all good I was thinking about I how treat the .22 as a "no big deal" but I think I do better with the .308 has taken me a wile to get my .223 group size down now just need to nail this 22 :lol:
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges