Trying out a new FTR Bipod

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Trying out a new FTR Bipod

Post by MCLE » 11 Dec 2013, 9:45 am

Hi,

l am thinking of trying FTR and like most F-Class shooters the rifle that we use is too heavy to shoot in FTR by the time you place a Bipod on it.

The rule in FTR is the rifle and bipod can't be heavier then 8.25KG and my sons F-Class rifle is close to the 8KG that is allowed for F-Class standard.

His rifle is a Nielson 308 with a heavy 28" barrel and Night force 12x42x56 scope. It doesn't have a lot of things that we can shave off to make it lighter without doing some work on it like a different barrel and stock starting to look like a major job.

We have a Bipod that has been sent to us to try and it is very well made very strong and light. With the Bipod attached we come in under the 8.25KG.

The Bipod weight is 390 grams and solves a problem with this we can shoot F-Class and FTR. The chamber is still set up for the 155GR F-Class projectiles we will have to shoot them against FTR shooters that may well be using heavier pills but at least it gives us an option.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.52 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Trying out a new FTR Bipod

Post by Norton » 11 Dec 2013, 10:12 am

Looks good, 390grams is a great weight if it's sturdy.

When is range day? :D
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MCLE » 11 Dec 2013, 10:20 am

Yes it is fantastic peace of engineering .it stays rock solid even when being used with big hitters like a 338 Lap.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Monty » 11 Dec 2013, 10:23 am

MCLE wrote:It doesn't have a lot of things that we can shave off to make it lighter without doing some work on it like a different barrel and stock starting to look like a major job.

On the subject of weight removal. If you're right on the cusp this might be an option.

A mate of mine needed to take off about 70grams or something like that... I can't remember the exactly amount but it was reasonably small.

He drilled a series of fine vertical holes in the bottom of the stock down the length of the barrel before the action to reduce the weight as required.

He didn't have to do too many to scrape in under the weight and it had no effect on the rigidity of the stock or his accuracy.

That might not be suitable for your situation, just sharing a thought....
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by MCLE » 11 Dec 2013, 10:39 am

Thanks for that.

It's my sons rifle and didn't want to start cutting and defacing it.

We bought it for him for Xmas last year for his first rifle and 12 yo boys don't like the thought of bits being chopped off their new toys.

But as it turns out with this bipod we are well under the 8.25 KG.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by shazz » 11 Dec 2013, 11:14 am

Nice to come in under weight with no mods :)

What's one of these bipods cost out of curiosity?
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by MCLE » 11 Dec 2013, 11:42 am

I'm not 100% sure by the time they get here and with the fluctuating dollar. But it worked out cheaper for me than changing barrels and cutting things off the rifle.

For us the convenience of being able to just place a bipod on and shoot FTR or use the Farley stand and shoot F-Class make up our mind when we get there.

If you are interested Shazz PM me. As I am getting some sent over and l can get you a proper price.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Broom » 11 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm

Nice.

Smart little design for a lightweight bipod.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by MCLE » 11 Dec 2013, 1:51 pm

Yes it is a good design you turn the wheel at the bottom to adjust your hight..no probs.
MCLE
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by salate » 11 Dec 2013, 5:38 pm

MCLE wrote:Yes it is a good design, you turn the wheel at the bottom to adjust your height.

Now that I like.

The normal adjustable style push-rod legs or whatever they're called are such a pain in the ass to adjust in small amounts.
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges