Anyone here a member of M.I.S.C Port Melbourne

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Anyone here a member of M.I.S.C Port Melbourne

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Closest range to me is the Melbourne International Shooting Complex in Lorimer street , Port Melbourne. Right next to the big go-kart track at the bottom of the Westgate Bridge.

Looking to finally get into pistol shooting after many years of ummimg and ahhhing.
Also able to shoot smallbore rifles there too.

Seems it's a members only club with no access to casual visits from the general public.

Just wondering if anyone has shot there or is a member. Was also wondering what the yearly membership fee is (couldn't find it on the website).

It's only 15 minutes from home for me and much more convenient than Springvale which is closer to an hour away.

Thoughts, ruminations and opinions appreciated

Thanks
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Anyone here a member of M.I.S.C Port Melbourne

Post by rsj223 » 14 Aug 2017, 10:11 pm

I looked at this place and the fee's were around the 700-1000 is what I was told but cant confirm, I do know they dont like chatting much and can be difficult to get hold of.
I do sorta know a member and I will try get in contact with her this week as I think its need to get in to have a look but I will be watching this to see the price.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 10:22 pm

I'm going to fire off an email. Far as I know the yearly membership grants more or less unlimited access to the range. I drive past the place on the way to and from work. I see vehicles in there at all sorts of hours. $15-$20 per week seems about right. Would be nice to have somewhere close to home to go and have a plink and enter comps. Springvale and Melton are my other closest pistol ranges, both a decent drive away. If I don't get any answers here I will be sure to post about my experience and we can all learn together.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 11:01 pm

Busy little club by the looks. If your driving past why not just knock on the front door?

I would. We email too much. Face to face is better in my book.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 14 Aug 2017, 11:03 pm

I would, but there is a bloody big gate locking all us plebs out. Seems to be some sort of electronic access system.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cflake » 14 Aug 2017, 11:07 pm

I haven't joined yet, but I went to their info night.

They have a number of ranges and once you have your full cat H license + 10 comps you can do a small test and get 24/7 access. It's proper 'olympic' style shooting though, so 1 handed only. You start in the air pistol shed for 4-5 sessions, then graduate to .22 on the 25m pistol range, then 9mm after that. The first pistol they will authorise a PTA for is a .22 even after you get a full license.

They have a large range of club guns for use that you can borrow for 'free' (included as part of the membership fee) whenever they're open for comps - which is Wednesday nights and about 4 hours on Sat/Sun.

You can shoot rifle on one of the ranges but only rifles that take pistol ammo, up to 357 mag.

Membership is $650/yr from memory.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2017, 11:19 pm

Supaduke wrote:I would, but there is a bloody big gate locking all us plebs out. Seems to be some sort of electronic access system.

Big on Security. Mmmmm. Email then unless you meetem at the gate with a slab. He, he.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 15 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

cflake wrote:I haven't joined yet, but I went to their info night.

They have a number of ranges and once you have your full cat H license + 10 comps you can do a small test and get 24/7 access. It's proper 'olympic' style shooting though, so 1 handed only. You start in the air pistol shed for 4-5 sessions, then graduate to .22 on the 25m pistol range, then 9mm after that. The first pistol they will authorise a PTA for is a .22 even after you get a full license.

They have a large range of club guns for use that you can borrow for 'free' (included as part of the membership fee) whenever they're open for comps - which is Wednesday nights and about 4 hours on Sat/Sun.

You can shoot rifle on one of the ranges but only rifles that take pistol ammo, up to 357 mag.

Membership is $650/yr from memory.

I'm a member of M.I.S.C.

I've been a member since start of May and currently going through the new shooter process they have whilst I'm on my Provisional license. As I'm new to shooting, I've never been a member of any other club so can't compare them to anyone else.

When you join, you are required to do 6 sessions of 3 calibers, starting with Air, then .22 and finally 9mm. You also have to do these on Wednesday nights only as that's when the coaches are there to be RO and assist you. After that, once you are on a full license, you can come and go as you please. The club as a full member is 24/7 access.

They have a canteen with a full commercial kitchen that has hot meals on Wednesday nights, they are fully licensed so you can even purchase alcohol and have a drink. They have new toilet/bathroom facilities in there and in the club room, there is a pool table, TV, lounge, fire place etc.

It's like an RSL but service for guns, targets and ammo is slow, feels like a retirement village at times. Overall it has good facilities.

The membership is $650 I think plus like a $190 V.A.P.A fee. You have to pay up front, there is no weekly payments or payment plan.

The PTA for first gun as stated above is incorrect, you can get a 9mm as your first gun which they will sign off on but the law is if you decide to go with a lower calibre such as a .22, you won't be able to buy say a 9mm for 12 months. That is Police rule and not the clubs.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 15 Aug 2017, 2:58 pm

Supaduke wrote:I would, but there is a bloody big gate locking all us plebs out. Seems to be some sort of electronic access system.

Do they pretend they're not there if you ring the bell or what?

Maybe they don't like the look of ya! :lol:
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

"Maybe they don't like the look of ya! :lol:"

Mmmmm, with my looks I'll never get an invitation then.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cflake » 19 Aug 2017, 7:51 pm

Justin9mm wrote:The PTA for first gun as stated above is incorrect, you can get a 9mm as your first gun which they will sign off on but the law is if you decide to go with a lower calibre such as a .22, you won't be able to buy say a 9mm for 12 months. That is Police rule and not the clubs.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

I guess the real rules then are different to what they quote on their site:

"Once being a fully liciensed member. You are eligible to apply to purchase a handgun. In your first 6 months of being a Fully licensed member, you are only able to purchase an air pistol or a .22 rimfire pistol. "

http://melbourneinternational.org.au/in ... membership

Or maybe the rules have changed?
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 20 Aug 2017, 7:29 am

24/7 access is what I like.
Often finish work late, by the time I get home, then out to Springvale, it's just not an option.

Are you able to bring a guest once you're a full member?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by cflake » 20 Aug 2017, 4:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:24/7 access is what I like.
Often finish work late, by the time I get home, then out to Springvale, it's just not an option.

Are you able to bring a guest once you're a full member?

I asked this specific question at the info night, and yes you can.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges