Who's using a shooting rest with windage adjustment?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Who's using a shooting rest with windage adjustment?

Post by sneaker » 15 Aug 2017, 4:17 pm

Are many of you guys using a shooting rest with windage adjustment?

I had my first go on one at the weekend, thanks to the nice chap at the range who was happy to give me a go after he saw me having a sticky beak.

I was doing good on the accuracy, but kind of found it a bit boring or something maybe?

It was like once you are dialing it in and just feathering the trigger there isn't much skill to be improved.

Do it once and you've done it 100 times if you know what I mean.

So just wondering.
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Who's using a shooting rest with windage adjustment?

Post by Supaduke » 15 Aug 2017, 4:49 pm

I guess it's like lead sled rifle rests and many other aids that remove shooter input. Good for testing loads, but after you have it dialed in, what's the point?

It's a matter of are you testing the rifle or testing yourself.

I've seen giant benchrest rifles that are basically a small naval cannon bolted down and have zero shooter input. They bug hole at several hundred metres and groups are measured in a few millimetres. The skill there is in precise load development. To me, boring as hell, to others, the ultimate in precision.
It's whatever floats your boat, long as you are having fun.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2017, 6:46 pm

I agree Supaduke, but the skill is in wind reading at extended ranges not in the reloading, say for an example a favourite cartridge is the 6mm dasher, the standard go to load for a lot of competitors is 2208 between 32gr-33gr with moly coated bullets around 105gr-107gr and seated either jammed 15 thou or jumped 20 thou, if you look at the setup it is a lot different than a hunting rifle, like the scope is set up very high so you don't have a cheek weld, the stock is made to ride the bags in a straight line straight back and the user try's not no have very much contact apart from touching off the trigger
IMO unless you are fire forming brass you should be trying to practice how you would use the rifle in the field unless you are only interested in hunting paper LOL
as you said long as you are having fun
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Aug 2017, 7:28 pm

Yes, you are right, wind reading would also be part of the skill set in bench rest.

I misused some terminology as well, I was actually referring to rail guns which is another level again as far as removing shooter input. Those things are crazy.

For the record , I get the most satisfaction out of ringing steel at 200+ meters with iron sighted Milsurps. Also recently started doing Milsurp comps and that is very enjoyable.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 16 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

Once you attain a degree of skill, the likes of "belly shooting" is about reading wind and mirage. But I agree that benchresting is not nearly so demanding, especially on the eyesight :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 19 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

Supaduke wrote:Good for testing loads, but after you have it dialed in, what's the point?

+1 on this.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Releb » 28 Aug 2017, 3:50 pm

Supaduke wrote:I've seen giant benchrest rifles that are basically a small naval cannon bolted down and have zero shooter input.

I think I know the ones, "rail guns" in experimental class shooting?
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 28 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

Its not so much that its easy. The group sizes from first to last place would be far smaller though. Im all for it, long as people are enjoying themselves, any shooting is good shooting.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges