Sporting Clays - Lead

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Sporting Clays - Lead

Post by jak444 » 14 Sep 2017, 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting back into shooting and have taken up Sporting Clays.

When I was a kid I used to shoot shotguns a heap at the farm with my old man (mainly duck shooting) and managed to hit a few (when I was lucky :lol:)

But..... that was 25 years ago now!!

Since then I've done a heap of rifle shooting (I was in the military for 10 years), but haven't tried to shoot birds since the early 1990's.

So, to the point.

For you guys that shoot clays (or birds), what is the method of lead that you think is best?

Or do you just do what comes naturally.

I think the pull away method feels most natural to me... but keen to hear others' thoughts.

Thanks!
jak444
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Sporting Clays - Lead

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

the way I was taught was to spot and shoot,
hope you understand what I am trying to say,
hold the shotgun with both hands vertically ready to shoot, not on the shoulder
when the object is in sight point and shoot if you need a second shot shoot in front of the object (lead)

when you point and shoot you may shoot in front (lead)

to check your shotgun for fit put a peg on the rear and front of the rib
close your eyes and point the shotgun, if when you open your eyes you can see through the hollows of the pegs and straight down the rib you have a good fit

this works for me, I just hope I've said it so you can understand it ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm

Hard to explain and depends on where the birds coming from going to and what type it is, ( some are designed to do messed up flight paths ) im pretty sh*t at the moment mostly just trial and error for me, i usually just line it up on the bead and unleash 2 7 1/2's and hope for the best haha, bit of orange where it needs to be and send it :lol:

All about the shotgun fit, reaction time, choke selection and practice, also don't stand like a grunt with his gat, try and go more square on facing the bird house, can always tell the shooters that have gone from rifle to shotgun recently
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Rikta » 14 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm

Used to compete at it a lot when I was a teenager, and still knock a few off down the farm when bored... but all I can say is to me at least the best method is to practice until its second nature
Rem .270
Howa .223
Ruger 22lr
Lanber 12g
Rossi 410g
Rikta
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wildcard6 » 22 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

For clay target shooting, 'sustained lead' is the style that works very well for most people. The target's track and speed is known, so by having the gun in front of the target at all times means you just have to match the speed of the target with the appropriate amount of lead and fire. In the field however, especially things like rabbits and foxes that can just appear from nowhere, you often have to use 'swing through' lead, where you have to move the gun faster to catch, then lead the target. The main thing to do is practice until you learn to see/sense the lead required for various targets and you'll find that transitioning from club to field is not all that difficult. The increased gun speed required in the field [swing through] comes easily due to the spurt of adrenaline you get when the target appears suddenly. My best tip? Match gun speed to the target, be in front, and fire while maintaining gun movement [follow through].
wildcard6
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges