When was the last time you scoped yourself?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

When was the last time you scoped yourself?

Post by huccl » 14 Oct 2017, 12:57 pm

I haven't done it for years but got myself with a cracker today :lol:

Rookie mistake!
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: When was the last time you scoped yourself?

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Oct 2017, 1:08 pm

Am yet to do it, I don't own any rifles with enough kick. Closest I've come was my first shot of a mates .270. Was stupidly leaning over a table too low on the first shot and didn't have it tight in my shoulder. The scope JUST touched my eyebrow just enough for me to feel it, no injury. Any further and I would have been in some pain.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2017, 1:34 pm

huccl wrote:I haven't done it for years but got myself with a cracker today :lol:

Rookie mistake!

How many stitches?
I saw a bloke do it badly when I was a kid so I've managed to steer clear of it myself...so far at least :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

I helped the guy who had shot the big cat from gippsland way that was on the front cover of a shooter mag to sight in his rifle as he had just had a shoulder reconstruction, a 7mm mag if I remember, he had a kahles scope that he didn't tell me moved in the rings and on the second shot cracked me on the bridge of my nose, blood everywhere, the poor old bugger felt so bad about it he offered me money to make it right, obviously I did not take it,
him and his wife were very genuine good people the type you want to meet
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Oct 2017, 2:38 pm

Never
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 14 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

Never done it myself, but I have seen quite a few people cop rather bad ones over the years.. Looks painful..
Something I have noticed is that some people appear to get a little irritated when you have a bit of a chuckle about it and recommend they try absorbing the recoil with their shoulder instead :lol: :twisted:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Tripod » 14 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm

marksman wrote: sight in his rifle as he had just had a shoulder reconstruction, a 7mm mag if I remember, he had a kahles scope that he didn't tell me moved in the rings

So he knew the scope moved in rings and he wanted it sighted in? :?
The last time I scoped myself was probably the last time I shot my 50 Alaskan, It has bitten me about 6 times over the years and I still haven't learn't. :lol:
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by andreweden » 14 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

Always entertaining when someone came to work with Styer Eye the day after their annual requal. Those back up iron sights would do a good job.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Oct 2017, 7:21 pm

Call me behind the times :roll: but I had to come in here to see what the heading meant. Used to be called"Weatherby Eyebrow" in the olden days. Thanks for updating me :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Oct 2017, 5:43 am

Not sure I ever have too be honest, certainly can't remember doing it. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Archie » 15 Oct 2017, 8:11 pm

Hammered my safety glasses into my head last weekend at the range looking a little too close. If I'd hadn't been wearing them... and it still hurt like a bastard even so.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 15 Oct 2017, 9:04 pm

I ventured into a gunshop a while back and 3 of the staff had been shooting a AI50 the previous weekend, all 3 got kissed with one of them striking blood. I laughed at them and still tease them about it, I called them pussies and offered them concrete tablets as I'm kind like that. Not long after this I was given the rifle to get zeroed on a new load and setup for a 600yd competition. The bloody thing kissed me 28/30 shots, nothing hard mind you but still enough to remember to hold onto it. The main culprit was the Schmidt & Bender PMII 12-50x56 with its anorexic 70mm of eye relief. That scope has been retired and a March 8-80x56 ordered that has a more generous 83-97mm of eye relief.
My FlinchMaster 50 has the same scope and it's getting replaced this weekend, I need to focus on the target rather then worry about the recoil.

Moral to the story....Ensure eye relief is greater than recoil or you'll pay with blood when choosing a scope.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 16 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

When I was 15 I kept bugging an uncle to let me shoot his 45/70. Up til then I had only shot .22 calibres . Threw it up to my shoulder to take a shot at a pig that was breaking cover about ten mters away. When the dust settled the pig was nowhere to be seen I was on my ass bleeding above my eye and my uncle and dad were pissin themselves laughing. Still got the scar under my eyebrow!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 16 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

Rather embarrassingly :oops: i had the scope on my .308 kiss my eyebrow during a very fast shot at a big tomcat off the back of the ute. It drew blood. :violin:
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 17 Oct 2017, 8:18 am

i have done it with a slug gun it hurt like hell
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 17 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm

wrenchman wrote:i have done it with a slug gun it hurt like hell

I have to know that happened, you were 6mths old and still breast feeding ? :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Oct 2017, 3:23 am

i shot a deer it ran around me was on the propert line instead of turning around all the way a shouldering the gun right i just turned at the waist and shot when you do that the gun is not shouldered right i got clocked good and was the butt of many jokes in camp
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Oct 2017, 6:12 am

:lol: A mate of mine handed a work mate of ours a .223 for a shot and asked "you've shot before hey?" Work mate said "yep sure have" chambered a round, put the stock into his shoulder and held his eye socket hard up against the scope .... just a my mate was thinking "what's he doing?" and before he could say anythingthing ... BANG ! got him a beauty, blood and all.

I missed the fun but saw the aftermath. It was a decent cut about 1 cm long and a slight black eye :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cooper » 18 Oct 2017, 11:47 am

I've done it. I am a bleeder. Head wounds usually bleed a lot anyway. Looked worse than it was because of the amount of blood. Didn't need any stitches and it heeled up pretty good.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 21 Oct 2017, 7:58 pm

My mum is the biggest anti...took her to one of my rimfire comps, I decided I'd have a shot of our .308 straigh after 200 rounds of .22 ...yeah didn't really help her opinion of guns.

She still refuses to touch them but I have learned to adjust to it quickly now lol.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Apr 2018, 9:58 pm

I am a regular wearer of the Weatherby eyebrow, so much so that my work colleagues think I go to Fight Club. It is not just my 378 WM or 460WM that have tagged me but a friends CZ 550 chambered in 450 Rigby and a Ruger #1 in the mild mannered 450/400 Jeffery. A penalty for being tall I guess.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 18 Apr 2018, 10:05 pm

on_one_wheel wrote::lol: A mate of mine handed a work mate of ours a .223 for a shot and asked "you've shot before hey?" Work mate said "yep sure have" chambered a round, put the stock into his shoulder and held his eye socket hard up against the scope .... just a my mate was thinking "what's he doing?" and before he could say anythingthing ... BANG ! got him a beauty, blood and all.

I missed the fun but saw the aftermath. It was a decent cut about 1 cm long and a slight black eye :lol:

Mate of mine did exactly the same thing with my 223 one night lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Jun 2018, 8:11 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote::lol: A mate of mine handed a work mate of ours a .223 for a shot and asked "you've shot before hey?" Work mate said "yep sure have" chambered a round, put the stock into his shoulder and held his eye socket hard up against the scope .... just a my mate was thinking "what's he doing?" and before he could say anythingthing ... BANG ! got him a beauty, blood and all.

Mate of mine did exactly the same thing with my 223 one night lol

My mate also did the same with my 223!
Turns out he had only used stuff with irons.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2018, 8:26 pm

Never
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 25 Jun 2018, 9:42 pm

Saw it happen. Next morning I cooked him breakfast - bacon and two eggs arranged on the plate in a smiley face....with squirt of tomato sauce around the top of one of the eggs lol.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 25 Jun 2018, 11:47 pm

Noisydad wrote:Saw it happen. Next morning I cooked him breakfast - bacon and two eggs arranged on the plate in a smiley face....with squirt of tomato sauce around the top of one of the eggs lol.

That's awesome, did he see the funny side ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Jun 2018, 6:18 am

18 months ago, with my 7mm-08. Had a bad/hurried rest on the back of the vehicle, and didnt notice how close my face was to the scope.
Pulled the trigger, and regretted it...
I'm on blood thinners, so bled like a stuck pig, even though it was a cm long cut at best.

Ended up having a muzzle brake fitted as a result, and really glad I was prompted to do it.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 26 Jun 2018, 9:19 am

darwindingo wrote:
Noisydad wrote:Saw it happen. Next morning I cooked him breakfast - bacon and two eggs arranged on the plate in a smiley face....with squirt of tomato sauce around the top of one of the eggs lol.

That's awesome, did he see the funny side ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Ummm eventually lol
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 26 Jun 2018, 3:05 pm

Nope... never happened... yet...

Sounds like we share a similar sense of humour, Noisy! :lol: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges