I have a 'notch' missing in my hearing range due to shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

I have a 'notch' missing in my hearing range due to shooting

Post by Lorgar » 30 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

Sharing a little experience here for everyone I guess.

Today I had a hearing test as part of a routine thing, not because I've noticed/been experiencing any problems.

The test plays a series of tones at higher and lower volumes across the normal hearing range of 125hz to 8000hz.

It turns out in my case I have a 'notch' missing in the normal range in 1 ear at 4000hz.

In one ear I can hear the tone there at 10db, where it needed to be 30db for me to hear it in the affected ear. Less than that I don't notice the tone.

I normally wear hearing protection, but like all of us, I guess, I've been exposed to the report of sporadic shots without hearing protection while hunting, or the odd one at the range etc.

Only takes one the audiologist tells me.

So there it is, wear those muffs.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: I have a 'notch' missing in my hearing range due to shoo

Post by Cooper » 30 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

I have a couple of noisy hobbies. Shooting and motorbikes. I pretty much always wear hearing protection when I shot these days. Occasional there is a rushed shot hunting where I forget. and it not just about going deaf. Thankfully I can only image how annoying it would be to have a constant ringing or buzzing due to hearing damage.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Oct 2017, 1:17 pm

My hearing is bad had them tested but my left is worse and I'm thinking it is because my mrs sits that side when i'm driving :thumbsup: :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Oct 2017, 2:43 pm

Hey ... what ya say ?

Next time I get my hearing test done ill take note as to which range I'm loosing.

There is loss in my left ear most likely from shooting.

And the government still make sound moderators extremely difficult to get.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 30 Oct 2017, 6:24 pm

they need to be class 5 hearing protection for shooting
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Hey ... what ya say ?

Next time I get my hearing test done ill take note as to which range I'm loosing.

There is loss in my left ear most likely from shooting.

And the government still make sound moderators extremely difficult to get.

I always ask for the results. not some wank letter. Ask for the graph and the actual numbers. And don't be fobbed off. Someone paid for it and it is YOUR medical record.

And if people think its not important just try and have a chat with someone who is partially deaf. And hearing aids don't fix it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

They gave me the graph last time ... I just glanced at it and tossed it in the bin :lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 30 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm

i got caught at the range one day tucking my hair back behind my muffs and lifted left side off ear and got slammed by a 300 win mag with brake on it instant piercing pain and ear hasnt been the same since find it real hard to hear people when theres back ground sounds
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 30 Oct 2017, 9:08 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Hey ... what ya say ?

What? Speak up! :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Oct 2017, 9:11 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:i got caught at the range one day tucking my hair back behind my muffs and lifted left side off ear and got slammed by a 300 win mag with brake on it instant piercing pain and ear hasnt been the same since find it real hard to hear people when theres back ground sounds

I suspect mine has come about in a similar way.

My left ear is closest to the muzzle as I shoot, but it's my right with the issue.

I've definitely been exposed to similar situations at the range, copped a blast from a brake etc.

It was interesting to get the results to be honest, that's really why I shared.

My hearing is above average range, except for the notch. If you'd asked me "how good is your hearing?" I'd have said I thought it was better than average.

Just based on anecdotal evidence, if someone says "did you hear that?" I would have, or at times I've pointed out a sound others didn't notice. But then there is this gap.

Just goes to show, you don't know what you don't know. Or in this case can't hear it.

Not that it effects anything at this point, but the door has been opened so it's worth knowing I guess.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Oct 2017, 9:22 pm

Lorgar,

It is very important to keep yourself protected and a check on your hearing, trust me, I'm talking from experience. I'm half deaf because we were not supplied with hearing protection in my day, not like nowadays, rarely did anybody have any hence i'm half deaf but I have managed to steady the loss by wearing the proper hearing protection, a few years ago I bough my own
Member-Deleted

Post by pomemax » 31 Oct 2017, 1:37 am

Interesting topic, no one has mentioned their age or what they do for a living or when the hearing test were done or by who or the Average over the last few tests it all makes a difference .
Most of the time if they are a work tested hearing test they are only comparing your hearing to a base line test taken when you started work for them . When you go for a hearing test at work I always ask the tester its never the same person Been doing this long most of them look about 15 to me , all they are doing is pushing the buttons and recording you respond,s have you ever had one even look in your ears I cant recall one ever doing that
My beef with them is they have never asked my work history what sports if any , do i listen to Real loud music. then tell me i have lost 2% in one ear and the other is perfect .MY POINT is 2% of what
Always makes me laugh for 10 years I worked in a ship yard if you asked for hearing protection they would have fallen about laughing at you the next 35 years in heavy industry .
Been shooting for 51 years never wore any hearing protection till about 5 years ago when made to at a range and I love Bagpipe music like this tune not chocolate piping real music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69l2gitKnc or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmUTCRj9RY turn the sound right up

Hearing test are indicators only not the be all and end all some time its the luck of the draw and Genetics plays a big part in hearing loss.
Last edited by pomemax on 31 Oct 2017, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2017, 5:30 am

nightforcenxs wrote:i got caught at the range one day tucking my hair back behind my muffs and lifted left side off ear and got slammed by a 300 win mag with brake on it instant piercing pain and ear hasnt been the same since find it real hard to hear people when theres back ground sounds

Main reason braked rifles should be aside from others. Was another thread about that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2017, 5:38 am

This explains it all very well. 17 minutes. Educate yourself.

https://youtu.be/mbwElB6uVuU
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 31 Oct 2017, 1:08 pm

pomemax wrote:Interesting topic, no one has mentioned their age or what they do for a living or when the hearing test were done or by who or the Average over the last few tests it all makes a difference .

Fair points. For me...

I've never worked in any environment where noise was a concern.
Test done the day I posted this, by an audiologist.
This is the first one I've had done, results are compared to the 'average', not my past.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 01 Nov 2017, 2:38 pm

im only 26 but i use to work in mechanics where there was no hearing protection around it was a case of man up or leave and also while i was younger listening to bass in cars hitting over 150DB has not helped but i dont blame any one for it cause its all my fault in the end but the lesson has been learnt to look after the ears.
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Will » 05 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:it was a case of man up or leave

How often that's coming back to haunt people these days :|
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Nov 2017, 6:29 am

Will wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:it was a case of man up or leave

How often that's coming back to haunt people these days :|

A cultural problem of many workplaces.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 10 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

At least you caught it before there was serious loss.

Now you know and will be on top of taking care of it.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges