Homemade steel shooting targets

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Homemade steel targets

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Apr 2018, 5:24 pm

I finally finished the deflector for my target frame. Weighs 36kg so it should take any hit.
The plate frame has 90mm spikes to push into the ground for stability and the legs have smaller spikes to prevent sliding.
The target frame is the high tensile wire rod frame from an old Sealy mattress with the middle removed, over which I slap some corrugated cardboard to tape the target to.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (462.23 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (326.81 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
Assembled.jpg
Assembled.jpg (323.44 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (509.24 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
Legs.jpg
Legs.jpg (510.45 KiB) Viewed 7167 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Apr 2018, 9:13 pm

Yeah nothing wrong with that mate all painted up and neat
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Apr 2018, 9:08 am

Thanks GB.
Might have to re-weigh it though.
I weighed it on an old set of bathroon scales my Mum bought in 1955. I found them in a box in the shed and thought they'd be OK, but after thinking about the figure they showed I climbed on them last night and they reckon I'm 135kg!
Now my penchant for scoffing my home-made bacon washed down with home-made vodka means I'm a little "calorie-enhanced" but not that much.
I built the meat smoker out of scrap too, left overs from a tipping trailer I put together a few years ago.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Apr 2018, 10:24 am

Nothing wrong with a little weight i'm in the slightly calorie enhanced stage myself
Talking about smokers here's mine I bought way back from a friend after the phone company made it obsolete
back in the 80's :thumbsup: :lol:
Hot or cold smoke two block partitions underneath feed the smoke required into the smoker
cheers
Attachments
Pic_1219_050.jpg
Pic_1219_050.jpg (881.76 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

That looks more like an outdoor dunny with that white plastic looking....ummm....poo trap.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

Yeah when I get too old to smoke stuff I could knock a hole in the floor and use it for a dunny but at the
moment the plastic bucket has a lid on it and is upside down with saw dust in it which I use for smoking
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Apr 2018, 7:26 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah when I get too old to smoke stuff I could knock a hole in the floor and use it for a dunny but at the
moment the plastic bucket has a lid on it and is upside down with saw dust in it which I use for smoking

:lol: :lol: :lol: funny s**t :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Apr 2018, 11:05 am

Holy hell GB, that's the idea! You could do a whole pig in there.
Makes my little effort look a tad small. It can hold 4 chooks whole or 2 butterflied, 4 pork roasts or 2 pork loins unrolled.
I have personal experience of how good phone booths are at cooking.
I was doing some excavation work in Manly in Jan '89 and had to make a call to the ATO about a couple of my machinery leases they were pissing me about with. I made the call from a public box, 30 something outside the box, at least 50C inside and spent nearly 2 1/2hrs waiting and listening to their hold music, which was a version of "Green Sleeves" that sounded like it had been played on a cheap MIDI board. In an empty aircraft hanger.
I finished the call about 5kg lighter and with that 'king tune welded to my brain.
What are your preferred woods?
I use Apple for poultry or fish, Mesquite only for beef and lamb and I blend Hickory, Mesquite and Apple on pork when I'm making bacon. Oak only on pork for Kaiserfleisch and on corned beef for Pastrami.
Attachments
smoker.jpg
smoker.jpg (318.72 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Apr 2018, 11:56 am

Nothing wrong with that smoker ideal for what you want by the sounds
I use a mixture of coconut husk and yellow stringy ''a hardwood from the hills up here'' for beef and coconut husk
or river oak saw dust for chicken and pork and just coconut husk for fish and sausages
I need a big smoker because when I kill and butcher I do it for my kids and their families
Yes and I know what you mean about hot phone boxes done it myself and I don't know if you remember the old wooden
phone boxes had their own distinct smell I don't know what it was but it was in pretty much all of them probably the smell of
the old bakerlite phone
Those woods you speak of i'm not sure we can even get them up here could probably buy them in a hardware shop somewhere
I suppose but I get all my own wood and all can be got from pretty well anywhere up here and only need a chainsaw

By the way superman thought the phone box was important to that's why he got dressed in one but they weren't see through like mine
and he may have been charged with indecent exposure
The glass smoker is good you don't have to go out to see if your smoker has gone out you just look out the window also you can
see when they are done without opening the doors and letting smoke out
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Apr 2018, 3:19 pm

I get the chips from either Bunnings or BCF.
There are plenty natives on the property but I find them a bit gummy and strong.
I'm the only one eating it, the rest of the tribe turn their noses up at it.
The shine couldn't be simpler, 8kg of sugar, 280g of baker's yeast and 23lt of water and 5 days gives you about 15-18%. That 23lt of 18% produces an average 5lt of 75% of distillate.
5 of those batches run through the still a second time produces an average 8lt of 99.?%.
Run that through 3m of activated charcoal and dilute to your preference.
The result smells as clean as those alcohol wipes they use before an injection.
I only have to do it every 12 or 18 months as 16lt of 45% goes a fair way.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Apr 2018, 6:03 pm

Yeah mate I don't drink anymore drank too much early on but I have tasted it lately my son does it very smooth
it would be easy to take it up again with that stuff but I better not would cause big problems health wise
Sounds like you have it under control also making it '' enjoy''
Next time I smoke goods i'll try and buy some wood like yours we have both those shops in town
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 13 Apr 2018, 6:42 pm

Gaznazdiak I know a guy (you need to watch what you say around here) that has an offset _ _ _ Stone head still that staight out first run. with the right cuts and run properly with the correct setting will produce a clean 99.6%. It used to get a carbon wash but it was wasted effort the distillate had absolutely no flavor. It can also be run in pot still mode or any setting in between. Pure grain batches of brewing have been done and run as pot still very hard very slow and very hard to replicate. perhaps only one more try of the puritan way of mash making.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Apr 2018, 7:31 pm

sungazer wrote:Gaznazdiak I know a guy (you need to watch what you say around here) that has an offset _ _ _ Stone head still that staight out first run. with the right cuts and run properly with the correct setting will produce a clean 99.6%. It used to get a carbon wash but it was wasted effort the distillate had absolutely no flavor. It can also be run in pot still mode or any setting in between. Pure grain batches of brewing have been done and run as pot still very hard very slow and very hard to replicate. perhaps only one more try of the puritan way of mash making.

I'd love a nice copper pot with a Nixon Reflux tower but I had to choose between that and a very nice 17 wsm at the time I was getting into it, so I put the water purification on the back burner and went for the rifle.
I'm using a small air cooled "water purifier" and have noticed a distinct fusel oil taste from single run.
Everything else is fine, no methanol, just a real industrial waste taste.
Tried to make my own Pertsovka, which is a pepper infused Russian variety, but overdid the peppers.
I swear I could hear Johnny Cash singing "Ring of Fire" next day.
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 13 Apr 2018, 10:04 pm

Nixon that was the name I was looking for. this one screws onto an old keg can do about 40L of wash and has about 1.7m of 2 inch copper pipe stuffed with SS scourers then the reflux section on top of that. Built quite a few years ago now. Single run or lower the % always more flavor not always good. The yeast may be a factor as well I use 1118 or 2226. If it is just sugar there shouldn't be much in the way of fuseiels and next to no methanol. Your lucky to get such a high first % with air cool no reflux my PS only gets up to the 30-40% from mem
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Growler » 22 Apr 2018, 7:03 pm

Got a piece of 550x400x40 mild steel plate that seems to do the trick.
.303, 30-30, and .22lr at 100m
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_2449.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2449.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
thumbnail_IMG_2450.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2450.jpg (107.84 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
thumbnail_IMG_2451.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2451.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
thumbnail_IMG_2452.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2452.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 6849 times
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Apr 2018, 9:32 am

Hey Growler, 40mm, outstanding, stop .50 with that!
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Growler » 23 Apr 2018, 5:03 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Hey Growler, 40mm, outstanding, stop .50 with that!

Heavy bastard of a thing, its got me n ol mates backs chalked up for the win. Penetration looks to be 3-5mm max so reckon it'll last us a while
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges