Homemade steel shooting targets

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Homemade steel targets

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Mar 2018, 9:56 pm

Not sure if this is something that you might be interested in or not but this guy makes his own, I think around $350 from memory.
https://youtu.be/mJvuVZIHBUw
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 19 Mar 2018, 10:37 pm

That bizalloy is tough stuff.It took a 7mm Rem Mag 175gn failsafe at 20 metres and it made a slight dent.Mild steel ends up with a 20mm hole
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Growler » 20 Mar 2018, 4:20 am

I'm picking up a piece of 40mm plate from a mate next week, reckon that should stop SP .303. Heres hoping anyway
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Mar 2018, 11:49 am

grandadbushy wrote:Sorry boys forgot the pic

Noice job GB - set up to be portable too by the looks of it.

I'm thinking of making something that I can sit over a star picket (round tube with an arm off it to hang a target that can spin around) simple and easy to set up and can knock out a few and put them at all different ranges to test the skills out a bit. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

I punched a hole through this 10mm Hardox 500 plate with the 22.250 at around 80-100m from memory - all the other hits are from 222, 223, 308, 338 lap, none of those even scratched it! :unknown:

I guess speed and diameter of the projectile have to be considered too. :drinks:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 20 Mar 2018, 12:23 pm

I'm just about to start building one from railway track plates. Going to weld 6 together in a 3 x 2 arangement to give me a 600 x 600 plate. They weigh 5kg each so it won't blow over in the wind here.
Going to make a frame to hold it at an angle to deflect the rounds downwards.
I'll post the results
The pic is 50gn and 70gn .223 from 100m
Attachments
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 11172 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Mar 2018, 9:01 pm

Started the steel target today, didn't get far, ran out of bloody welding rods and the ones I did have were damp but I got the deflector started, just have to fill the holes.
I'll start on the frame and target stand when I get new rods in town next week.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg (546.86 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (5).jpg (571.05 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Mar 2018, 9:28 pm

Gaznazdiak , mate if the rods are wet and the flux is still on them just put them on a tray and put them in an oven on
medium heat for a couple of hours and they will dry out and return to usable rods
Just be careful whilst handling them while they are wet the flux may fall off
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Mar 2018, 9:11 am

Hi granddad
Yeah, I buggered a few by knocking off flux by being careless while it was soft. Never thought of sticking them in the oven. I left them in the sun for a few hours, I don't think it dried them enough though, as you can see from the dodgy finish.
That's my excuse anyway :mrgreen:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Mar 2018, 11:08 am

Well gaznazdiak don't worry about how it looks I've seen far worse from tradesmen and its held together fine
yeah mate they are pretty delicate when they are wet but still good when dry

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 30 Mar 2018, 1:08 pm

I put them in the oven even if its been a long time since Ive used them esp the cheap ones . Make for much better striking.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Mar 2018, 8:53 pm

If you want to keep rods for a long time because you only use a few every now and then
Get an old fridge that doesn't work and fit a lead light into the inside of it preferable about 8'' from the bottom put the rods on the racks
switch the light on and close the door that light has enough heat coming off it to keep the rods dry for as long as you like
providing the light is on, the one I had in the workshop would be 2 days on 1 day off to save power although a 50 watt light doesn't use
much power
I used this way for special rods I had to buy in and only use 2-3 out of a box , I can't recall loosing any

Just something if anyboby is interested
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Mar 2018, 9:02 pm

Most low hydrogen rods should be dry and warm when using them, and they strike better as sungazer has said
They are fairly difficult to strike at the best of times , most people never get to use them as they are for welds
that need to be extra strong and xray work although some shops will sell them to get rid of old stock

cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 31 Mar 2018, 7:45 am

good advice GB , stick welders are a good thing ( no mig gas too worry about ) but rod storage is always a issue .had a mate who used to save up those little moisture absorbing sachets out of packaged goods and put them in a tupperware type container with the rods up high and dry in the shed.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 31 Mar 2018, 7:55 am

Yeah bigrich that would most likely work probably need a few though
I use those in my gun safe hoping they will keep the moisture out
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by scoobs » 31 Mar 2018, 3:47 pm

plough discs are what i usually use. or some 10mm thick steel that is then put in a bonfire till it is red hot then thrown in some old sump oil
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 31 Mar 2018, 9:29 pm

You can make a simple gong out of large pipe off cuts. A 12" diameter pipe cut to 12" long with a piece of chain welded to it as a hanger makes a target that appears square no matter how it swings. As it is round there is little surface that is square to the shooter and so most hits will be glancing and so it may last a bit longer. Pipe can easily be found at the scrap dealer at a low cost.
I use 1/4" plate in the back of my bullet traps and that stops my 17grain :roll: rabbit wreckers without issue. :crazy:
Maybe it should be called the 17 hornet paint scratcher? :lol:

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by flashman » 01 Apr 2018, 9:14 am

Hi , I got a piece of old armour plate of a tank ,so far it’s great ,just keep painting
Attachments
42D9FA58-CA18-4D0E-9957-5B2F8ABE9372.jpeg
42D9FA58-CA18-4D0E-9957-5B2F8ABE9372.jpeg (988.34 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Apr 2018, 5:24 pm

I finally finished the deflector for my target frame. Weighs 36kg so it should take any hit.
The plate frame has 90mm spikes to push into the ground for stability and the legs have smaller spikes to prevent sliding.
The target frame is the high tensile wire rod frame from an old Sealy mattress with the middle removed, over which I slap some corrugated cardboard to tape the target to.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (462.23 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (326.81 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Assembled.jpg
Assembled.jpg (323.44 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (509.24 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Legs.jpg
Legs.jpg (510.45 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Apr 2018, 9:13 pm

Yeah nothing wrong with that mate all painted up and neat
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Apr 2018, 9:08 am

Thanks GB.
Might have to re-weigh it though.
I weighed it on an old set of bathroon scales my Mum bought in 1955. I found them in a box in the shed and thought they'd be OK, but after thinking about the figure they showed I climbed on them last night and they reckon I'm 135kg!
Now my penchant for scoffing my home-made bacon washed down with home-made vodka means I'm a little "calorie-enhanced" but not that much.
I built the meat smoker out of scrap too, left overs from a tipping trailer I put together a few years ago.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Apr 2018, 10:24 am

Nothing wrong with a little weight i'm in the slightly calorie enhanced stage myself
Talking about smokers here's mine I bought way back from a friend after the phone company made it obsolete
back in the 80's :thumbsup: :lol:
Hot or cold smoke two block partitions underneath feed the smoke required into the smoker
cheers
Attachments
Pic_1219_050.jpg
Pic_1219_050.jpg (881.76 KiB) Viewed 7127 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

That looks more like an outdoor dunny with that white plastic looking....ummm....poo trap.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 12 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

Yeah when I get too old to smoke stuff I could knock a hole in the floor and use it for a dunny but at the
moment the plastic bucket has a lid on it and is upside down with saw dust in it which I use for smoking
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Apr 2018, 7:26 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yeah when I get too old to smoke stuff I could knock a hole in the floor and use it for a dunny but at the
moment the plastic bucket has a lid on it and is upside down with saw dust in it which I use for smoking

:lol: :lol: :lol: funny s**t :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Apr 2018, 11:05 am

Holy hell GB, that's the idea! You could do a whole pig in there.
Makes my little effort look a tad small. It can hold 4 chooks whole or 2 butterflied, 4 pork roasts or 2 pork loins unrolled.
I have personal experience of how good phone booths are at cooking.
I was doing some excavation work in Manly in Jan '89 and had to make a call to the ATO about a couple of my machinery leases they were pissing me about with. I made the call from a public box, 30 something outside the box, at least 50C inside and spent nearly 2 1/2hrs waiting and listening to their hold music, which was a version of "Green Sleeves" that sounded like it had been played on a cheap MIDI board. In an empty aircraft hanger.
I finished the call about 5kg lighter and with that 'king tune welded to my brain.
What are your preferred woods?
I use Apple for poultry or fish, Mesquite only for beef and lamb and I blend Hickory, Mesquite and Apple on pork when I'm making bacon. Oak only on pork for Kaiserfleisch and on corned beef for Pastrami.
Attachments
smoker.jpg
smoker.jpg (318.72 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Apr 2018, 11:56 am

Nothing wrong with that smoker ideal for what you want by the sounds
I use a mixture of coconut husk and yellow stringy ''a hardwood from the hills up here'' for beef and coconut husk
or river oak saw dust for chicken and pork and just coconut husk for fish and sausages
I need a big smoker because when I kill and butcher I do it for my kids and their families
Yes and I know what you mean about hot phone boxes done it myself and I don't know if you remember the old wooden
phone boxes had their own distinct smell I don't know what it was but it was in pretty much all of them probably the smell of
the old bakerlite phone
Those woods you speak of i'm not sure we can even get them up here could probably buy them in a hardware shop somewhere
I suppose but I get all my own wood and all can be got from pretty well anywhere up here and only need a chainsaw

By the way superman thought the phone box was important to that's why he got dressed in one but they weren't see through like mine
and he may have been charged with indecent exposure
The glass smoker is good you don't have to go out to see if your smoker has gone out you just look out the window also you can
see when they are done without opening the doors and letting smoke out
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Apr 2018, 3:19 pm

I get the chips from either Bunnings or BCF.
There are plenty natives on the property but I find them a bit gummy and strong.
I'm the only one eating it, the rest of the tribe turn their noses up at it.
The shine couldn't be simpler, 8kg of sugar, 280g of baker's yeast and 23lt of water and 5 days gives you about 15-18%. That 23lt of 18% produces an average 5lt of 75% of distillate.
5 of those batches run through the still a second time produces an average 8lt of 99.?%.
Run that through 3m of activated charcoal and dilute to your preference.
The result smells as clean as those alcohol wipes they use before an injection.
I only have to do it every 12 or 18 months as 16lt of 45% goes a fair way.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Apr 2018, 6:03 pm

Yeah mate I don't drink anymore drank too much early on but I have tasted it lately my son does it very smooth
it would be easy to take it up again with that stuff but I better not would cause big problems health wise
Sounds like you have it under control also making it '' enjoy''
Next time I smoke goods i'll try and buy some wood like yours we have both those shops in town
cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 13 Apr 2018, 6:42 pm

Gaznazdiak I know a guy (you need to watch what you say around here) that has an offset _ _ _ Stone head still that staight out first run. with the right cuts and run properly with the correct setting will produce a clean 99.6%. It used to get a carbon wash but it was wasted effort the distillate had absolutely no flavor. It can also be run in pot still mode or any setting in between. Pure grain batches of brewing have been done and run as pot still very hard very slow and very hard to replicate. perhaps only one more try of the puritan way of mash making.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges