Best caliber for long distance shooting?

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Best caliber for long distance shooting?

Post by AusTac » 06 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

Archie wrote:Not that I want to keep e-beating up on this poor guy, because he was only asking a simple question. But something else did occur to me today.

The other issue with long range hunting is not only that the potential for wounding increases with distance. Its also, that if you have to go and find a wounded animal because it ran off, the first issue is usually getting to where you last saw it and trying to find some blood etc. Pigs etc.. well, if I'm honest I might not care too much in that case, hypocrite that I am. But I think in most cases, you're going to want to try at least.

And in many parts of Oz - not all of course - there doesn't seem to be a 300m stretch where that doesn't involve at least a gully and frequently a lot more. So if you bugger it up at >500m, then you can easily be a 30+ minutes hike away from getting to where you need to start to do the proper work. I've never hunted sambar, but if half of what people tell me is true, then I suspect a badly-hit sambar will be in the next state by that time.

Some.of the terrain i see the critters hoping up is mind boggling! Vertical cliffs and all sorts like its nothing
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scoobs » 06 Jan 2018, 5:52 pm

22LR. because LR = Long Range right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

scoobs wrote:22LR. because LR = Long Range right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:

Damn I always thought it stood for Ludicrous Recoil? I've been scared all these years for nothing!
Bigjobss

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges