Targets at the range

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Targets at the range

Post by YoungBuck » 16 Jan 2018, 8:26 am

I'm looking at heading down to little river range this weekend if the weather is favorable. I've not been to a range before so am looking for some advice from the regulars as to what to bring and when not to bring.
I can see on the website the basic safety items to bring/wear - hearing protection, closed toe shoes, etc. But there is no mention of things like targets... Do I need to bring my own with clamps and backboard? Whats the go?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Targets at the range

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2018, 9:17 am

They sell target stands there. But bring medium size bulldog clips, to clamp the target on to it, they give you wooden pegs that come off too easily.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2018, 11:53 am

As js said they sell frames ( welded rebar ) and its up to you to get creative as to how you attach your chosen target, bring some cardboard, and some personal favorites of mine include zip ties and duct tape, and a knife to cut your cardboard, then just wrap the frame and board together with bundles of tape and staple on your target ( oh yeah get a staple gun and staples ) it's disposable for when you demolish and mangle the frame first shot ( story of my life )

When you get there leave the guns in the car, walk into the office pay your way then see an RO ( usually important looking, screaming at someone and in hi hiz ) get allocated a bench then IF its not a cease fire you can start lugging all your junk up to the bench
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:25 pm

You can keep the target frames, or return them and get $10 back of $15.

Clay targets are fun and challenging to shoot with a rifle at various ranges. I made up some holders out of fencing wire to lift them up off the ground.

For .22's there is a myriad of different steel spinner type targets you can buy.

For centrefires you can't beat a nice gong.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2018, 5:57 pm

Supaduke wrote:You can keep the target frames, or return them and get $10 back of $15.

Clay targets are fun and challenging to shoot with a rifle at various ranges. I made up some holders out of fencing wire to lift them up off the ground.

For .22's there is a myriad of different steel spinner type targets you can buy.

For centrefires you can't beat a nice gong.

Are you saying that you can bring your own targets to shoot at, including steels?
Do they have metallic silhouettes available for practicing on?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2018, 6:01 pm

They have gongs at set distances. But to answer your question, Bladeracer - yes you can. The only thing that's not allowed are those jumping 22 targets at risk of something coming back.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

juststarting wrote:They have gongs at set distances. But to answer your question, Bladeracer - yes you can. The only thing that's not allowed are those jumping 22 targets at risk of something coming back.

That's good to know :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 16 Jan 2018, 6:53 pm

Gonna go shooting up a few clay pigeons down at little river.

Might start out at 100M with a .308
I hope they don't get too explosive.

I can picture some rogue clay pieces potentially eating up someones target.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Jan 2018, 7:02 pm

Nah, they just vaporise lol

Seriously, I picked it up from Supaduke, saw him do it a while back and I recon the trend has snowballed from there. Supaduke, the trend setter.

https://i.imgur.com/ZNq1xak.jpg this is between 50m and 100m for some lever action and old milsurp offhand plinking. Also 45-70 and Alfa in .38 lots of fun.

N.B.
Don't shoot them off the bench with a scope. If you do, it's medically proven that your dick will fall off.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by JimmyS » 16 Jan 2018, 8:53 pm

juststarting wrote:Don't shoot them off the bench with a scope. If you do, it's medically proven that your dick will fall off.

Guess I'll just need to use my balls ;)

I reckon a good 30/30 would do the trick.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 16 Jan 2018, 9:36 pm

put them at 400 and it might give you a hard on :D
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Blackened » 17 Jan 2018, 12:30 pm

Plenty of free targets here to download and print to take with you ;)

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1156
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Corn » 17 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

Metal targets are ok at LR. My son & I were shooting an 8" round metal target at 300m last weekend.
I have a metal frame with thick cardboard in it. I then just using masking tape to fix the target to it.

As AusTac has written:
When you get there leave the guns in the car, walk into the office pay your way, (take your ticket/receipt & give it to the Range Officer) then see an RO (usually important looking, screaming at someone and in hi viz ) get allocated a bench then IF its NOT a cease fire you can start lugging all your junk up to the bench.
I'll add...
DO NOT BRING YOUR FIREARMS UP ONTO THE RANGE DURING A CEASE FIRE, its a range rule thing and the RO's love yelling at people who do this. And stand BEHIND the yellow line & DO NOT approach the bench during the cease fire
Ask the RO's any questions.
ATM no rain is forecast for the weekend so enjoy yourself :)

Oh!! and if you want to place your target beyond 100m you'll need to wear a Hi Viz vest/top.
Here are a couple of pics of targets, one is mine the other is my son's :thumbsup:
Attachments
target.jpg
target.jpg (125.43 KiB) Viewed 7885 times
metal target.jpg
metal target.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 7885 times
Last edited by Corn on 17 Jan 2018, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Corn » 17 Jan 2018, 7:58 pm

There are also a few fluro orange (metal) gongs up at the back of the range. The one at the back on the left is at about 550m (I'm sure its meters!) I used a range finder on it a few weeks ago. You can shoot at them too if you wish.
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jan 2018, 8:09 pm

So the frame that you can buy there, do I also need to bring cardboard to attach to the frame to attach my paper targets to?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Corn » 17 Jan 2018, 8:23 pm

YoungBuck wrote:So the frame that you can buy there, do I also need to bring cardboard to attach to the frame to attach my paper targets to?

The frames from there are a little smaller than those I've pictured, the targets they sell there (look above the door that you entered the office from) should fit in the target using pegs (normal clothing pegs) as someone wrote, use bulldog clips (medium or large). But a roll of masking tape and just tape the target to the frame will be fine.
But bring some cardboard too, if its windy there it may help to stop the target from flapping in the breeze.

Maybe take a hammer or mallet to help knock the frame into the ground. At 50m you can push it in by hand, out further the ground tends to be harder and you'll need a hammer to knock the frame into the ground.
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

No worries. Thank you for the clarification :thumbsup:
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 17 Jan 2018, 10:12 pm

Hammer and masking tape
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 17 Jan 2018, 10:14 pm

Corn wrote:Here are a couple of pics of targets, one is mine the other is my son's :thumbsup:

Good to see the Enough Gun bunny making an appearance ;)
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Corn » 21 Jan 2018, 4:45 pm

Aster wrote:
Corn wrote:Here are a couple of pics of targets, one is mine the other is my son's :thumbsup:

Good to see the Enough Gun bunny making an appearance ;)

:thumbsup:
Thank you for making them available

So.... YB....
How did you go at LR?
Did you enjoy yourself?
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 21 Jan 2018, 5:19 pm

Sort of got 2 threads going that reference each other:
viewtopic.php?p=151751#p151751
Had table 19 :) It was fun, I'd go back.
For a little while I had a guy shooting next to me who was shooting a 204 which had a built in muzzle break, that was kind of annoying.
Attachments
Range setup.jpg
Range setup.jpg (381.83 KiB) Viewed 7668 times
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 25 Jan 2018, 7:00 am

There's a few new gongs at LR too.
At least one fixed one and one hanging.
Both at 505m.

I take my owns gongs on A-frames as well.
The ROs get a bit nervous as I usually place one at about 100-125m for the 22lr.
Given I'm always up the muzzle brake end with a few big boy guns on the bench as well, they need to make sure I'm not hitting it with a centrefire.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2018, 10:32 am

MontyShooter wrote:The ROs get a bit nervous as I usually place one at about 100-125m for the 22lr.
Given I'm always up the muzzle brake end with a few big boy guns on the bench as well, they need to make sure I'm not hitting it with a centrefire.

Why can't you shoot it with centrefire?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jan 2018, 10:43 am

Centrefire on steel is minimum 200m
Rimfire minimum 50m
Air rifle 25m
It used to be 100m for centrefire but they changed it after the "ricochet" incident.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2018, 11:54 am

Supaduke wrote:Centrefire on steel is minimum 200m
Rimfire minimum 50m
Air rifle 25m
It used to be 100m for centrefire but they changed it after the "ricochet" incident.

Thanks Supaduke.
But we can still shoot centrefire steel at 50m in silhouette competition, right?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jan 2018, 12:01 pm

I haven't done silhouette comp, so I couldn't honestly tell you.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 26 Jan 2018, 8:33 am

bladeracer wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Centrefire on steel is minimum 200m
Rimfire minimum 50m
Air rifle 25m

Thanks Supaduke.
But we can still shoot centrefire steel at 50m in silhouette competition, right?

Yeah this is something I find confusing. Either it's genuinely risky and you shouldn't do it, or it's OK.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2018, 9:50 am

There was an incident about a year ago where someone was shooting at steel plates or gongs and some fragments returned and hit him in the face. No major injuries.
Um, I think work safe got involved and the distance rules for that sort of target changed.

Suggest you check their web site for distance details.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 26 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

It wasn't the actual shooter that got hit.
The shooter was stupidly shooting across the range at someone else's target on quite a steep angle. Fragments hit someone down the other end of the range.

No more star pickets either.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2018, 5:05 pm

Supaduke wrote:It wasn't the actual shooter that got hit.
The shooter was stupidly shooting across the range at someone else's target on quite a steep angle. Fragments hit someone down the other end of the range.

No more star pickets either.

I'll stand corrected. Just heard the story & that was some time ago. I wasn't there. But point being changes to steel targets have been made. Including distances I believe.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges