Batching .22LR by weight.

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Batching .22LR by weight.

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

Bills Shed wrote:I might be putting myself in the line of fire here but I can tell you that weight is a very poor indicator of anything when it come to rim fire. I am no target shooter but I make a lot of projectiles out of rim fire cases and have weighed and measured many pieces of rim fire brass that have been derimmed and cleaned to death. I can honestly say that the high end of the market is more consistent but weights can still vary greatly and that is just weighing the brass. Win and federal can vary over a grain in weight while eley black is very consistent but varies lot to lot. Also the length of cases varies as well. RF brass is just pinch trimmed.
As to rim thickness, if it works for you go for it, but I believe a lot of it is in the mind and we do better because we believe it is better.
Rimfires do shoot better with some ammo than others but I would not get too bogged down with the sorting process.

Bill

I agree about the weight batching, but it was worth the exercise to confirm it for myself :-)
I can't agree about the rim thickness batching though. Have you actually tried it yourself?
I shot hundreds of Remington Cyclones with reasonable but not great accuracy, around 2.5MoA at best. I'd read about rim batching and felt that really cheap, poorly-shooting ammo would be perfect for testing as the results should be fairly obvious, so I batched 1000 of them. After batching them to the nearest thousandth of an inch (they varied across eight-thou) I reduced the group size to half of what it was. My records indicate a 5rd 22mm group at 50m was the best I achieved with them off the bench, still not target-quality, but far better at 1.5MoA. I shot batched and unbatched groups all in one session. I have shot 33 boxes of Cyclones so far, and they shoot well provided they're shot as batches by weight. For a few hours effort it can be worth doing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 07 Feb 2018, 1:39 pm

Another fascinating topic :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 07 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm

As I said,
As to rim thickness, if it works for you go for it.
Just enjoy what you do. Keep shooting

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges