Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Alternatives to Belmont QLD

Post by Mongrel » 17 Feb 2018, 8:17 am

Tillaan wrote:I'm another one stuck on the north side with long drives to shoot anywhere.

I actually went to Belmont today and it wasn't too busy and didn't run into any issues (no one asked me to remove my bolt between rounds!)

But at $24 to shoot + 1 hour drive / tolls it ain't that friendly on the wallet!

I recently got this email back from SSAA Rocksberg thou which sounds a little hopefully (sent them an email some time ago)

Hello,
Firstly, I would like to give my apologies for how long it has taken to respond to your enquiry. We have suffered enormous problems with our electronic communications and have only just today regained access to this email address. All issues are now resolved however, and I am sending this message to all who have tried to contact us in the last few months.
SSAA Rocksberg branch has finally resolved all the legal issues regarding the construction of our range and are now in the process of sourcing quotes for the works required and are seeking the funding to complete the project.
As such, we will not be shooting at Rocksberg until works are completed . Please keep in contact with us so we can keep you up to date with progress.
Yours sincerely,
Jim Mason
Secretary
SSAA Rocksberg Branch Q61

im in nambour and rocksberg, looks like its an hour for me. If it going to be open everyday that would be awesome, but imbil is 45min north for me and its a very relaxed place to shoot. only downfall is only open 2 days a month :(
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 17 Feb 2018, 8:30 am

i can confirm with azza about taking a unlicensed people me and my brother use to take our dad he likes shooting the 44 mag lever gun and then one day they told us the licensed shooter has to sign in then also sign another piece of paper and they then have a large white magnet that they put your first initial and your full last name on it and you must stick it up for the RO's to see the unlicensed person has to wear a arm band or sticker on there shirt saying unlicensed shooter and when there shooting the licensed shooter must stand up behind them and watch them and when the licensed shooter wants to shoot the unlicensed shooter must stay behind the yellow line it kind of defeats the purpose of taking someone there because you only get to talk when your not shooting and you have to spot for yourself
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2018, 10:32 am

I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mongrel » 17 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.

If your ever keen Bill, hit me up :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by burek » 17 Feb 2018, 7:20 pm

Rocksberg finally going live would be a dream come true.

Being on south side of Sunshine Coast, there's really no convenient range nearby. SSAA Sunshine Coast may be good but due to their operating hours not convenient at all (Wed & Sun).

I've been to Imbil and it is a very friendly atmosphere. Just keep in mind it's a bit "low tech" compared to Belmont. Crappy benches/seats, few barrels instead of benches but plenty of space on the side with no benches for off hand shooting or setting up a mat. When I went I was told, load one round at a time (like Belmont) but have heard from people that you can use full mags so I suspect maybe one round at a time until they get to know you.

The other one off most people's radar is Wattle Grove Park but yeah, hardly convenient even if on the Sunshine Coast, let alone coming from Brissie. :( Also very "low tech" like Imbil (benches are probably better tbh). It's literally a small shooting range on a guy's farm and you have to book ahead. Can set up targets up to 150m and, after that it's gas bottles and gongs up to 400m. I like it. It's just so off the beaten path :( Always a fun, no BS experience there though.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Feb 2018, 7:55 pm

Mongrel wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:I never actually Liked Belmont but it was a means to an end. Might give Imbil a go when my licence arrives. Must admit it was right off my radar.

If your ever keen Bill, hit me up :)

Thanks Jamie. Gotta wait for when Carmel retires and I get more pension :) and of course, that pesky licence :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 15 Mar 2018, 10:00 am

Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Mar 2018, 12:03 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update

What crap are they dealing with?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

andreweden wrote:
Mitch@Ripley wrote:Ripley is f*cken awesome BUT it is going through some crap at the moment that may be detrimental to the future of the range, and it is a LOT busier than it used to be. Great vibe but could definitely do with an update

What crap are they dealing with?

Should have gone to the AGM meeting decided it would be my first due to set "speculation" of meeting. Fair to say its a s#it fight. Personally not happy with the situation they are in or the out come to apealing said "terms" will be dealing with some rather ridged people. "Big Wigs"
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 15 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

Ok. Still confused.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 15 Mar 2018, 9:01 pm

I couldn't make it to the most recent meeting (tuesday) what happened exactly?
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

What’s going on with Ripley?
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

Watch this space all im going to say

The Gestapo have eyes everywhere best not to poke the beast...

Belmont has a uncertain future also. It looks more dia than Ripley
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 11:12 pm

Don’t be all mysterious and secretive, if you know somethings up share with the community.
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Mar 2018, 11:23 pm

The lease for the belmont range is meant to be running out soon and hasnt been renewed. And may be gone as soon as the end of the Gold coast games
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drizo » 15 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm

Ah okay I just had a read on their Facebook page about the state trying to take over Ripley and make it private. Something along those lines.
drizo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 16 Mar 2018, 7:26 am

I thought SSAA owned Ripley?
Or are we talking about the branch having the lease to operate on behalf of SSAA?
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 16 Mar 2018, 8:35 am

Isn't Belmont run by a private company on behalf of the SSAA?
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Mar 2018, 12:12 pm

Yep
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Mar 2018, 3:30 pm

i love ripley, although it is a LOT busier due to people p@ssed of with belmont. why does ego's and politics have to ruin things for the grass roots social sporting shooters that make up the bulk of ssaa membership ? :problem: :x :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 16 Mar 2018, 8:25 pm

Honestly still in the dark as to what is going on. Can we get a fact based appraisal without reference to the gestapo etc?
Even the fb page is clear as mud.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

What I have managed to find out is:
SSAA Qld own it and the insurance etc that allow it to operate.
SSAA Ipswich operate it and have not had to pay rent for 30 odd years.

SSAA QLD want to set some rules around how their range is run and want some rent or will not allow SSAA Ipswich to run it.

That is all that I can extract as fact. The rest seems to be a bunch of dick measuring and seeing who can piss further up the wall on both sides of the argument.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 5:37 pm

heard some talk out there this afternoon. ya pretty well on the mark from what i heard andreweden. not happy about politics and power play upsetting my " easy going range in the country" ipswich locals built that range and the belmont knobs are trying to take over. that's the vibe i get. does that mean if i do RO duties i gotta start yelling abuse at people like at belmont ? :sarcasm:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

Read the firring rights agreement seems like a rather one sided pissing contest to me.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 6:29 pm

can you elaborate please azza ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

If someone made the agreement available, then maybe it could be read.

I would have thought that the owners of the range have a certain right to say how the place is run though, especially if they are responsible for the insurance.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Art Vandelay » 18 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

I’d be interested if anyone has any more information. Have emailed and asked for a copy of the minutes from the last meeting.
Art Vandelay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Mar 2018, 7:43 pm

Art Vandelay ? are you in latex ? do you know a Mr pennypacker :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 18 Mar 2018, 9:10 pm

If Belmont mob take over that seals me not going there in future.
Have asked a few places for any info on the effects as a visitor to the range not a member or if I was looking to join what could be changing and have been ignored by all.
Comical being ignored as that attitude and reason was part of why I have never joined SSAA in the 1st place after my dealings with Belmont.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 18 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

My understanding so far is SSAA Ipswich will still run the place if they choose to.
But as far as Belmont people turning up, they already can, both are SSAA ranges.
Seems a lot of people are bellyaching about what happens in 5 years if/when Belmont closes.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges