Metallic Silhouette targets...again

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Metallic Silhouette targets...again

Post by perentie » 26 Apr 2018, 8:06 am

perentie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Got some revised numbers back just now.
Half-scale, two of each animal, in Bisalloy450, all 6mm except the chicken which is 10mm - $848+GST.
Compared to:
"A set of eight half-scale targets (two of each animal) in 6mm mild steel is $230+GST".
Allowing for the two chickens being 66% thicker, it seems the biggest difference between Bisalloy450 and mild steel is about three times the price.

We are waiting for a quote from Kevin in NSW for a half set of half size but he estimates around $2000 delivered up here in SEQ. Thats in Bisaloy
Who is the Brisbane supplier as I would like another quote?

Bump.
Is there a Brisbane supplier?
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2018, 7:23 pm

perentie wrote:
perentie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Got some revised numbers back just now.
Half-scale, two of each animal, in Bisalloy450, all 6mm except the chicken which is 10mm - $848+GST.
Compared to:
"A set of eight half-scale targets (two of each animal) in 6mm mild steel is $230+GST".
Allowing for the two chickens being 66% thicker, it seems the biggest difference between Bisalloy450 and mild steel is about three times the price.

We are waiting for a quote from Kevin in NSW for a half set of half size but he estimates around $2000 delivered up here in SEQ. Thats in Bisaloy
Who is the Brisbane supplier as I would like another quote?

Bump.
Is there a Brisbane supplier?

Kevin White gave me prices as ex-Brisbane, even though he's in NSW.
Sterk is in Qld I think but he only does gongs.
I think your best bet is to talk to a local engineering firm that can water jet cut or laser cut them for you.
I can send you the drawings if you don't have them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by perentie » 27 Apr 2018, 7:29 am

OK, thanks. I thought the Brisbane supplier was a different mob.
We have the drawings, thanks for the offer.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2018, 12:56 pm

perentie wrote:OK, thanks. I thought the Brisbane supplier was a different mob.
We have the drawings, thanks for the offer.

I don't know, I emailed a number of places, most either didn't respond or simply said they couldn't supply them.
I think the very limited market combined with the cost of freighting hundreds of kg of steel around the country works against us. Contact somebody local, preferably somebody that shoots. Clubs and dealers around your area might be able to put you onto somebody.

It's not at all out of the question to buy some new or old mild steel plate and cut them out with a gas torch or plasma, just don't shoot jacketed high-velocity loads at them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 Apr 2018, 3:35 pm

i am really surprised the Sterk guy wouldn't do them for you. I mean he has the material and the equipment. How long would it take to put the drawing into the computer to cut out? He makes a very detailed bottle opener and has it cerakoted. I was really surprised by it. The silhouettes in comparison would be a walk in the park.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2018, 4:37 pm

sungazer wrote:i am really surprised the Sterk guy wouldn't do them for you. I mean he has the material and the equipment. How long would it take to put the drawing into the computer to cut out? He makes a very detailed bottle opener and has it cerakoted. I was really surprised by it. The silhouettes in comparison would be a walk in the park.

I finally found the message from when I contacted him on Ebay, before I discovered him on Facebook under a different name.

Looks like a cut & paste of what he told me on FB so I guess he gets asked a lot.
"...minimum cutting charge is around $80. im located in brisbane so weight is a killer for shipping cost."
Maybe he's wasted hours already doing quotes but not closing any deals because of the shipping, so he doesn't bother any more?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 27 Apr 2018, 7:38 pm

I bought 8 smallish gongs from him, it wasn't too bad pretty cheap from memory. A few taken to plinkfest the makeshift hanging of them certainly broke with style before the gong. They had some serious energy released onto them.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2018, 9:08 pm

sungazer wrote:I bought 8 smallish gongs from him, it wasn't too bad pretty cheap from memory. A few taken to plinkfest the makeshift hanging of them certainly broke with style before the gong. They had some serious energy released onto them.

Yes, he bought a bulk lot of gongs that he's selling cheap.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2022, 4:26 pm

If it helps anybody, I sized the silhouettes to 10px per inch and placed them on a 2400x1200 (960x480px image size) sheet.

One pair (two of each animal so you can set one facing right and one left) at full-scale requires a three-quarter sheet - the offcut is about 750mm by 1200mm.
Silhouettes one pair full scale on 2400x1200mm sheet.png
Silhouettes one pair full scale on 2400x1200mm sheet.png (200.35 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

One pair at full-scale and one pair at half-scale requires almost a full sheet - you have an offcut about 750mm-square.
Silhouettes one pair full scale plus one pair half scale on 2400x1200mm sheet.png
Silhouettes one pair full scale plus one pair half scale on 2400x1200mm sheet.png (274.92 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
The attachment Silhouettes one pair full scale plus one pair half scale on 2400x1200mm sheet.png is no longer available

I'd expected the shapes would probably have been designed to neatly fit into standard sheets with minimal waste, but I can't work out the puzzle down to that level :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges