Allowable firearms on the range.

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Allowable firearms on the range.

Post by duncan61 » 25 May 2018, 8:31 pm

I became interested in this topic and was surprised at how many .224 rifle chamberings can exceed 4100fps.My .222 wont make it but quite a few do
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 26 May 2018, 7:42 am

SigSauer gender wrote:I have sent an email to the range asking for clarification 2 days ago and am awaiting a reply. I didn't have time to ask in person last time I was there, and the range is just over an hours drive for me so I don't have the luxury to just pop in.

Can't be that important to you then .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2018, 8:19 am

southwest shooter wrote:
SigSauer gender wrote:I have sent an email to the range asking for clarification 2 days ago and am awaiting a reply. I didn't have time to ask in person last time I was there, and the range is just over an hours drive for me so I don't have the luxury to just pop in.

Can't be that important to you then .

What sort of response is that?
He didn't have time to ask them to explain their poorly-worded sign, he lives an hour away, and he has emailed them without a response as yet. What would you suggest he do, a full page notice in the paper perhaps?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 May 2018, 8:25 am

No maybe take a day off work, drive down and ask them... then realise they not open that day as they didn't ask.. so go bal home then take another day off work and go next week... hopefully not the same day. Unless it's one of those ranges that open once a month he should still have some days left
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 May 2018, 10:19 am

Its a rifle range.It is being over thought.I have been around 22/250 and they are loud but in what universe will a range not allow a peashooter .224 as overly powerfull?? Just go get zeroed then go shoot something
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 May 2018, 11:27 am

duncan61 wrote:Its a rifle range.It is being over thought.I have been around 22/250 and they are loud but in what universe will a range not allow a peashooter .224 as overly powerfull?? Just go get zeroed then go shoot something

I suspect these range templates are a sneaky way of effectively banning the higher-powered rifles, and nothing more. Make it harder for people to be able to use them and they're less likely to spend the money on them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 May 2018, 1:46 pm

We have come a long way from necked down 303.Is it a good thing???
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Jun 2018, 1:48 pm

I can understand restriction at some ranges based on calibre's and types, mainly due to licensing requirements, but I am really perplexed as to the reason why some clubs ban some legally available firearms based on appearance, if the firearm can be legally purchased or modified, there would be no licensing restrictions, which leaves personal prejudices.
Member-Deleted

Post by straightshooter » 18 Jun 2018, 8:19 am

What most grumblers don't seem to understand is that all ranges are licenced by a state firearms registry and are inspected from time to time and approved by an inspector of ranges.
Each range is approved on the basis of some kind of safety template and the maintenance of range discipline.
The operators naturally want the continued use of the range and their worst nightmare is idiots shooting bullets in places where they shouldn't or otherwise being non compliant with the rules the inspector has set for that particular range.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges