Offhand Shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: Offhand Shooting

Post by Gwion » 11 Jun 2018, 1:28 pm

in2anity wrote:This guys sums it up pretty nice https://youtu.be/aAmOqNe3QAA practice doesn’t make perfect, practice makes permanent

Perfect practice makes perfect...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Jun 2018, 1:44 pm

in2anity wrote:This guys sums it up pretty nice https://youtu.be/aAmOqNe3QAA practice doesn’t make perfect, practice makes permanent

Gunna give that a go too, thanks in2anity :D but I think it would dig the toe of the butt into your shoulder, with a kicker-rifle. Another reason why I bought a Pasr Recoil Shield :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2018, 3:27 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:

Gunna give that a go too, thanks in2anity :D but I think it would dig the toe of the butt into your shoulder, with a kicker-rifle. Another reason why I bought a Pasr Recoil Shield :D

WM I do it with a moderately weighted 308, it sits high in the pocket, and I’m by no means a big bloke. But you’re quite upright, a lot of the force sort of makes you bend backwards (instead of the shock just ending straight into your shoulder). Admittedly it does get a little tiring after 80+ rounds, that’s why calibers like the 6.5C and 7mm-08 have gained a lot of popularity for silhouette. Fatigue screws up your consistency.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jun 2018, 3:39 pm

For the bigger man who cannot get their elbow resting on their hip, you can wear your webbing and rest the elbow on the webbing belt. I do this when I have to make an unsupported shot out in the paddock. The guy in the video link does this as well. I don't usually have my webbing on when practicing at the range but you could get a belt only and wear this to be a little more discrete.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm

Hi in2...
I wasnt poo-pooing your tips mate...
I used to shoot smallbore state & national comps so did the very style of shooting you mention, & i have a box of trophies to prove it.

My post was based on (as i stated) field shooting, as fom memory the OP was a newbee or getting back into shooting & mentioned field shooting.

I just believe a newbee should learn some basics first--like develop their own feel for the firearm & trigger, before trying to take on too much technical stuff.
And i believe the best way to do that is as i described-mostly get the shot off in rapid time & learn to hold tension on a trigger without it going off, all which doesnt allow for a full body position technique.

ALMOST EVERY time i go to a range & see a self confessed "dead set expert" tutoring a newbee, be it rifle in any position, or shotgun, the person is pummeled with too much info & end up concentrating on everything other than just shooting.

I admire the skills you probably have, & no doubt you can shoot that style way better than me now, but the fox i came within 12 yds of yesterday, & the one i came face to face with last time out wernt waiting for anyone to get their positional technique into full swing.

I dont think any of us are wrong & i rekon the OP has got some pretty useful info from all of us. :drinks: :friends:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 12 Jun 2018, 12:51 pm

I have been trying to get into this position and have found that my body is just not shaped right. I just find that my lats get in the way. I think I have pretty wide square shoulders and if it were not for a fair bit of middle age spread now into old age spread I would have a a triangle shaped shoulders to waist. Even now there is no way I can get a elbow to hip contact no matter how much I try and stick out a hip. Best I can do is pull my elbow in tight to my body. Interested in how others manage getting into this position?
SCJ429 I dont quite get your comment about webbing I went back and watched the vid again as you said this guy had webbing but I couldnt see what you were referring to?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PaddyT » 12 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm

The video is pretty interesting so ive watched that, put 200 rounds offhand at the range last Friday- first 50 a bit messy (was using the bunny target printed off this site) but got the stance comfy after that-final 100 at 35M - reckon I killed the bunny 77/100 shots so am seeing improvement- and am feeling more comfortable with the process.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Jun 2018, 1:20 pm

Stix wrote:Hi in2...
I wasnt poo-pooing your tips mate...
I used to shoot smallbore state & national comps so did the very style of shooting you mention, & i have a box of trophies to prove it.

My post was based on (as i stated) field shooting, as fom memory the OP was a newbee or getting back into shooting & mentioned field shooting.

I just believe a newbee should learn some basics first--like develop their own feel for the firearm & trigger, before trying to take on too much technical stuff.
And i believe the best way to do that is as i described-mostly get the shot off in rapid time & learn to hold tension on a trigger without it going off, all which doesnt allow for a full body position technique.

ALMOST EVERY time i go to a range & see a self confessed "dead set expert" tutoring a newbee, be it rifle in any position, or shotgun, the person is pummeled with too much info & end up concentrating on everything other than just shooting.

I admire the skills you probably have, & no doubt you can shoot that style way better than me now, but the fox i came within 12 yds of yesterday, & the one i came face to face with last time out wernt waiting for anyone to get their positional technique into full swing.

I dont think any of us are wrong & i rekon the OP has got some pretty useful info from all of us. :drinks: :friends:

All good mate I figured you were taking the whole "lets not overwhelm him" tact. I wasn't offended nor was i trying to offend, I just think it's important to get the fundementals right off the bat; old habits die hard. Anyways i think he's got the gist of it now.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 12 Jun 2018, 2:58 pm

Im not going to get offended- too old and offensive myself! Would rather be stripped back to bare bones and rebuilt than learn a bunch of crap habits and use them to my own detrement- its all been good advice- ive got to stew it make it digestible for myself!
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Jun 2018, 4:44 pm

And in2, just in that fundamentals point.
In the field i was a great shot as a youngin with lightning fast reflex & incredible accuracy-in either off-hand rifle or shotgun.
Once id mastered the fundamentals you are talking about in comps, i couldnt hit jack sh1t in the field for taking too long...the wrong set of fundamentals had crept into me for fast paced off hand field shooting/hunting.

I still see it now--take any range expert out on skitchy rabbits or foxes who will only give you a second or 2 at the most to get set & a shot off, & they never get to release a shot...because they are too caught up in the long slow technical process.

I believe they are different forms of shooting, & thus require some different skills, & its up to the individual to be aware of them. :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 12 Jun 2018, 7:28 pm

Stix wrote:And in2, just in that fundamentals point.
In the field i was a great shot as a youngin with lightning fast reflex & incredible accuracy-in either off-hand rifle or shotgun.
Once id mastered the fundamentals you are talking about in comps, i couldnt hit jack sh1t in the field for taking too long...the wrong set of fundamentals had crept into me for fast paced off hand field shooting/hunting.

I still see it now--take any range expert out on skitchy rabbits or foxes who will only give you a second or 2 at the most to get set & a shot off, & they never get to release a shot...because they are too caught up in the long slow technical process.

I believe they are different forms of shooting, & thus require some different skills, & its up to the individual to be aware of them. :)

The only difference between the silhouette pose and what you do is basically that you don’t drop your elbow onto your hip or pop your hip out. I do it without even thinking and I’ve taken countless game using this technique - you can still acquire damn fast (in conjunction with a safari sling). Much to the amusement of my buddies I even do it out of habit when shotgunning - sure it’s pretty useless then, but it hardly slows you down. Anyways each to there own - whatever works for you I guess - I’m not a massive hunter, so i can’t argue too strongly here
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges