Lithgow Crossover LA101 disassembled pics

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lithgow Crossover LA101 disassembled pics

Post by Jimbo047 » 24 May 2017, 8:58 pm

I was looking for some pics of a disassembled LA101 before I bought mine so here are a few for anybody else who wants them.

Minus stock: Image

Chamber: Image

Trigger, lug: Image

Bolt: Image

Bolt disassembled: Image

Stock: Image

Obviously the first thing you have to do whenever you get something new is pull it apart. And hopefully put it back together without any leftover pieces!
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Lithgow Crossover LA101 disassembled pics

Post by AusTac » 24 May 2017, 9:03 pm

Intresting! Never pulled mine apart because i don't have any tools to torque it down again to 1.5 nm which is f all

Looks just like it's big brother underneath
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Jimbo047 » 24 May 2017, 9:26 pm

You're right, that 1.5 Nm is really not much at all.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 24 May 2017, 10:32 pm

Nice pics. I put mine back together without a torque wrench (when I installed the Lumley kit) and if anything it shoots tighter now (irrespective of the spring kit). What's the reason behind the torque specs? Is it only the harmonics that can be affected?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allan » 25 May 2017, 2:09 pm

in2anity wrote:What's the reason behind the torque specs?

Not unusual for the inletting to allow a little action "rocking" in the stock. Many 22's may shoot more consistently with less torque on the rear screw.
Lithgow's inletting on the laminated & walnut LA101's I have is very precise - One action is bedded, including a small portion of the barrel.
Both these rifles show no signs of vertical stringing at 1.5NM which IME indicates that "all is well" at that low setting.
LA101 walnut stock inletting.jpg
LA101 walnut stock inletting.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 5898 times

[
LA101 action bedding.jpg
LA101 action bedding.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Gwion » 25 May 2017, 2:58 pm

Hi Allan. Did you bed the laminate or get a smith to do it? Looks like a bit of a tricky inlet to bed cleanly.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 25 May 2017, 4:05 pm

What kinda torque wrench's are you guys using? I was quoted big bucks for something so precise it was crazy money
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by allan » 25 May 2017, 6:29 pm

Gwion wrote:Hi Allan. Did you bed the laminate or get a smith to do it? Looks like a bit of a tricky inlet to bed cleanly.

Definitely not an inlet to bed cleanly !! Rolf did this when he fitted the Maddco - No movement anywhere - Bedding a small portion of the barrel is worth it IMO.
This is still the most accurate rim fire sporter I currently own so I have no complaints.

AusTac....Once again, just my 2 cents (worth exactly that), but you don't need a mega dollar torque wrench...More a matter of getting some consistency in the screw torque.
Offerings like Wheeler's Fat Wrench are more than adequate for my purposes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023 ... crewdriver
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by Wylie27 » 25 May 2017, 6:42 pm

I use the fat wrench by wheeler.. you just need to remember it is in inch pounds not nm.

I use 10 inch pounds.. mine likes is looser :shrug:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jimbo047 » 25 May 2017, 7:10 pm

allan wrote:...bedding...

I'm thinking about doing this. Did the bedding make a difference to your LA101 accuracy?

Edit: I use the Wheeler FAT wrench too. Pretty expensive but does the job.
Jimbo047
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by allan » 26 May 2017, 1:22 pm

Jimbo047 wrote:
allan wrote:...bedding...

I'm thinking about doing this. Did the bedding make a difference to your LA101 accuracy?

Yes, it did but this was only one of a number of mods. I had done to see just what accuracy could be extracted from an LA101 action. This rifle is fitted with a Maddco BR blank, match chamber, head spaced for Eley, tuned ignition, modified trigger along with bedding - Took it from .5-.7" for 5 shot groups at 50 to .3" or better given good lot numbers of Eley Match & ideal conditions.
The walnut rifle on the other hand has had nothing but a trigger job and touched up crown. It has 2630 round count and still seems to be improving! Last Monday with no flags and 4 different ammos., it shot a 20 group average of .451" - All fed from 5 magazines with a 9X Duplex Leupold for optics. For the money, these are outstanding 22's.
PK (resident gunsmith at CRM in Cairns) does a bedding block for the synthetic stocks - I've shot an LA101 in a home made metal chassis and was impressed.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles