Ruger 7mm Rem Mag M77 Mk2 hawkeye

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Ruger 7mm Rem Mag M77 Mk2 hawkeye

Post by bones-350 » 19 Jun 2018, 9:39 am

Hi All
Just like some views. I have a Ruger 7mm RM M77 Mk2 Hawkeye 1:9.5 twist, Stainless model.
It will not group anything I feed it better than 2 " @ 100yds.
It's in a Boyd Laminated Stock and Barrel is Floated,
AMPRS 2.5lb trigger job,
AMPRS muzzle break
Tried 2 different scopes 1st Bushnell Trophy DOD 600 2x12x40 & 2nd Nikon Monarch 4x16x42 milldot. groups are the same.
I was considering a putting a Krieger #6 Barrel on it with an 1:8" twist but wondering if the Ruger Actions are any good.

1. Are the Ruger action any good
2. Could the rifle action cause 2"+ groups.
3. Get rid of this gun and Start over.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Ruger 7mm Rem Mag M77 Mk2 hawkeye

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

Are you getting vertical dispersion in the groups or are they more or less rounded?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 19 Jun 2018, 12:10 pm

what was it like before mods :unknown:
it sounds to me like bad barrel or crown, the barrel may not have been fitted correctly :unknown:
the actions are investment cast and are plenty strong enough
usually I have found that with ruger's you would bed action/ float barrel, lighten trigger, maybe lap lugs, and work up a load for very good accuracy

the problem IMO with these actions for the 7mm rem mag is the length is not good for seating the projectile out enough to get the most out of the round
I had a ruger mk1 300wm that shot dots, 3.5" at 500 on a really good day
when I started to get flyers I rebarelled it and restocked it but to 270wsm because of the mag/action length and it had been such a good shooter
my ruger mk1 version of the varmint target model

some people say the ruger is just a farm gun, I dont
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 19 Jun 2018, 9:00 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Are you getting vertical dispersion in the groups or are they more or less rounded?

they are scattered all over the target in a roundish way
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bones-350 » 19 Jun 2018, 9:14 pm

marksman wrote:what was it like before mods :unknown:
it sounds to me like bad barrel or crown, the barrel may not have been fitted correctly :unknown:
the actions are investment cast and are plenty strong enough
usually I have found that with ruger's you would bed action/ float barrel, lighten trigger, maybe lap lugs, and work up a load for very good accuracy

the problem IMO with these actions for the 7mm rem mag is the length is not good for seating the projectile out enough to get the most out of the round
I had a ruger mk1 300wm that shot dots, 3.5" at 500 on a really good day
when I started to get flyers I rebarelled it and restocked it but to 270wsm because of the mag/action length and it had been such a good shooter
my ruger mk1 version of the varmint target model

some people say the ruger is just a farm gun, I dont

Its been like that from new so I did all those extras to get it to shoot better but has not helped at all.
I like the action and most of all the safety system on it. Along with the way rounds lock in the bolt.
I am asking about the action because I have read somewhere that they are made crappy.
My intention was to rebarrel it with a 7mm RM Krieger #6 1:8 twist (so that I can shoot the longer style bullets eg berger) with a quality Carbon Fiber stock
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Jun 2018, 10:11 pm

It is sure to shoot better with a aftermarket barrel but as Marksman said you are limited by your magazine length unless you single feed. If you do rebarrel you should consider a 7mm or 300 WSM which will help you seat the Berger VLDs optimally.
Spending $1000 on the Rugers new barrel is great but you might want to show the existing barrel to your gunsmith to see if there are any issues he can correct. Then get some 150 grain SMK and get them going fairly fast. If it won't shoot them your are going to have to look at that Krieger.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bones-350 » 20 Jun 2018, 8:09 am

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I have seen a lot of bad things mentioned about the Ruger rifles mostly comments on their barrel construction.
Just wondering if their actions are as poorly constructed as well.
I quite like the features on the Ruger Action but the features alone do not produce results.
I have only been shooting for several years and don't want to end up putting lipstick on a pig if you get what I mean.
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Jun 2018, 10:35 am

bones-350 wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Are you getting vertical dispersion in the groups or are they more or less rounded?

they are scattered all over the target in a roundish way

In that case, have a look at the crown like marksman says. Borrow a magnifying glass.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 20 Jun 2018, 6:28 pm

the ruger barrels could be pretty bad with the mk1's, generally a toss of the coin if you would get a good one
the barrels are hammer forged and have way improved since bringing out the mk2 hawkeye model
pity you couldn't take the rifle back to new spec and see if warranty would fix it
my gunsmith has told me about barrels not fitted properly like with tight threads that wont shoot but once relived they do
sinking a s**t ton of money into any rifle will never come back to you, you would only do it if you want to keep it, not if you are going to sell it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bones-350 » 21 Jun 2018, 9:34 am

In that case, have a look at the crown like marksman says. Borrow a magnifying glass.[/quote]

I had a muzzle brake fitted to it recently by a very reputable gun builder APRS who is here in Adelaide.
Took it to the Range and no change. The crown in this case I wouldn't think would be at fault.
I must have bought a pig, it was one of my first rifle for deer hunting.
My mate has the same rifle and at 200 yds puts 2 rounds into a red coke bottle top.
I figure it would be cheaper to rebarrel than risk spending a few $000' on a new rifle and risk buying another pig of a rifle.
I just like to know those 7mm rounds go safely to where I point.
I wouldn't want to shoot that thing out to 200 or 300 yrds and have stray bullets flying around.
Once bitten twice shy on new rifle purchasing.
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Jun 2018, 7:33 pm

You would need to get your gunsmith con confirm that it has no mechanical issues then work on a load. How did you go with Sierra Match Kings? You need to benchmark what it can do, and see if comprehensive load development gets you the result you want.
If you don't want to do that, the cheapest option is to buy a Tikka Varmint, I have not seen one that was described as a pig.
The more expensive option is to buy a Defiance action, stick your Krieger barrel in it, after about $5,000 you will own a superb rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2018, 11:03 pm

bones-350 wrote:I had a muzzle brake fitted to it recently by a very reputable gun builder APRS who is here in Adelaide.
Took it to the Range and no change. The crown in this case I wouldn't think would be at fault.
I must have bought a pig, it was one of my first rifle for deer hunting.
My mate has the same rifle and at 200 yds puts 2 rounds into a red coke bottle top.
I figure it would be cheaper to rebarrel than risk spending a few $000' on a new rifle and risk buying another pig of a rifle.
I just like to know those 7mm rounds go safely to where I point.
I wouldn't want to shoot that thing out to 200 or 300 yrds and have stray bullets flying around.
Once bitten twice shy on new rifle purchasing.

Surely 2MoA is just fine for a deer rifle? Lots and lots of deer are taken with rifles that won't group better than 3MoA, and often with iron sights. I'm all for getting the most out of any rifle, but you don't need to chase better accuracy than you require to do the job. If I could get 2MoA out of some of my rifles I'd be over the moon!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jun 2018, 10:39 am

yea but
the 7mm rem mag is an accuracy long range round

it is a pity that it just cant go back and be looked at under warranty
I'm sure it is the barrel that is flawed from your description

the tikka varmint is a very good rifle but is still only a long action and you will not be able to use the long heavy vld projectiles unless you single feed

it really does amount to whether you think it is worth it,
I rebuilt mine because it had paid for itself many times by filling mine and others freezers, I would have owed it some
mine cost quite a fews days of work by me and around $3500
that includes original price of rifle, barrel and barrel fitting, the action had receiver face squared, lug abutment trued and threads chased, it also includes the leupold lrp 6-20 scope and richards microfit stock from america
its up to you
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Centerfire rifles