Howa 6.5creed

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Howa 6.5creed

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Now before I cop the manbun quotes, hear me out.

Everyone's favourite online gunstore is selling Howa, stainless sporter in 6.5 creedmoor for $595. Now, I've never been interested in this cartridge myself but it is a great deal. The 6.5creedmoor doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, I think it will remain a good while.

I really wanted to get my hands on a 6.5 x55 in New condition for a reasonable price.... It seemed a bit far fetched. This Howa however, might be my ticket into 6.5's for hunting. Personally I would get a little Grendel if they had gained more of a following. Everything is still very expensive for them.


Anyway, what do you guys reckon. I think I might go ahead with this one. Give me reasons for and against (no creedmoor jokes... Please! I'm after factual advice)
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 6:57 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Now before I cop the manbun quotes, hear me out.

Everyone's favourite online gunstore is selling Howa, stainless sporter in 6.5 creedmoor for $595. Now, I've never been interested in this cartridge myself but it is a great deal. The 6.5creedmoor doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon, I think it will remain a good while.

I really wanted to get my hands on a 6.5 x55 in New condition for a reasonable price.... It seemed a bit far fetched. This Howa however, might be my ticket into 6.5's for hunting. Personally I would get a little Grendel if they had gained more of a following. Everything is still very expensive for them.


Anyway, what do you guys reckon. I think I might go ahead with this one. Give me reasons for and against (no creedmoor jokes... Please! I'm after factual advice)


I'm not going to try to talk you out of the Creedmoor, if it's what you want, get it :-)
I have five different 6.5mm chambering but not Creedmoor. I've been thinking I'm going to end up with one eventually, but I just realised the other day that Ruger now does the Grendel in the American Predator 8"-twist, so I can see one showing up any time now :-)

I don't buy centrefire ammo so I have no idea of cost or availability of either of these cartridges.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 7:08 pm

I don't really shoot factory ammo either but the offering in creedmoor is far greater then the Grendel. Brass is very expensive on the Grendel which is why I was turned off. Otherwise I would have jumped on one. I think it's a great little round. Creedmoor definitely wasn't on my list but price seems right and a good start in the world of 6.5s
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jan 2019, 7:38 pm

There is nothing wrong with the CM, it is very similar ballistically to the 260 and Swede. It is no 300 WSM if you want long range hitting power.

If you are buying Lapua brass then I wouldn't think the Grendel is much dearer.

For $600 it is a cheap rifle that you will have lots of fun shooting. There is not much wrong with it.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by JimTom » 11 Jan 2019, 8:23 pm

Do it.
I have a Creedmoor and it is a great bit or kit.
You will love it mate.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1035
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by bigrich » 11 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2416
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 9:09 pm

There was a Swede that wasr out at Oakey for ages. Good price. I kept thinking they couldn't move it so they'd drop the price even further..... Didn't happen. Someone was much smarter than me and jumped on it.

Lapua brass? Ha. I'm not that rich. I know it's good stuff but I lose so much brass I can't justify it. Valid point though and something I hadn't thought about SCJ.

I can't see much between the 260 and the Creed. I actually have a spare 260 barrel to replace one of my 243 barrels. Got a little more shooting before then.

Curious, anyone got a Creed in a howa sporter? The build on my mates Howa 243 is solid but still yet to find it's load. Interested to see reports on the Creed sporter version.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 9:17 pm

bigrich wrote:the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:


One thing I do wonder about, the 6.5CM is short-action, which is great, but does the action length restrict how far out you can seat the longest bullets? Basically, would the 6.5CM actually be "better" in a longer action?

I haven't measured the throats in the Portuguese Mausers yet, but the necked-down brass was bottoming out in the throat so I had to trim it before I could chamber it. The throats do not seem to be worn at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by marksman » 11 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

it does come down to what you want but IMO I would go a creedmore anyday before a grendal :unknown: and the howa looks good to me for price
but that's just my opinion and I'm not interested in either cartridges
my recommendation would be build a 6.5 x 284 :wtf: on an old mauser 98 action but really that's not what you want :unknown: :lol:
it's good to get a different perspective but it's what you want :drinks:

and blade you did hit the nail on the head, the short actions will restrict the type of projectile that will make the 6.5 worthwhile
it has to be able to mag fit a long throated 140-142gr vld projectile to be worth it :thumbsup:
User avatar
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2216
Victoria

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jan 2019, 9:31 pm

Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by marksman » 11 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

they dont make actions long enough but I wish :lol: :lol:
User avatar
marksman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2216
Victoria

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Jan 2019, 10:53 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?

Haha Maybe one day. Might be more than$600 though.
I'd rather be hunting
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2019, 11:45 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why can't Howa make a 338 Lapua for under $600?


Does anybody make a .338Lap for $600?
Bit odd when the rifle is cheaper than 100 rounds of ammo for it :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 5735
Victoria

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by Flyer » 12 Jan 2019, 3:45 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:the 6.5 CM is a accurate caliber that fits in short action rifles . 6.5x55 needs a longer action , and i believe with it's larger case can be loaded up more in a modern action rifle . if it was me, i would wait and get the swede . howa do that caliber, tikka or sako would be nice. i know someone who has just bought a zastava m70 in 6.5 swede. i'm very curious to see how this rifle performs

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:


One thing I do wonder about, the 6.5CM is short-action, which is great, but does the action length restrict how far out you can seat the longest bullets? Basically, would the 6.5CM actually be "better" in a longer action?

I haven't measured the throats in the Portuguese Mausers yet, but the necked-down brass was bottoming out in the throat so I had to trim it before I could chamber it. The throats do not seem to be worn at all.

The Creedmoor was supposed to be designed for long bullets - partly why it's shorter than an 08 case. I haven't been able to seat the 143gr ELD-X near the lands, but it's a long bullet with a secant ogive and I can still get them within 0.050". They don't mind the jump. I can reach the lands easily on 123gr Lapua Scenars with mag length.

Starline small rifle primer brass has an almost identical case capacity to Lapua SRP brass, but for half the price or less. The Lapua brass is better quality and has a smaller flash hole (0.059" vs 0.080") that needs a thinner de-primer (standard on Forster dies). Starline flash holes are punched (vs drilled), and a bit rough, but can be cleaned up.

6.5CM is an efficient cartridge and with small primer brass can handle higher pressures. I've loaded above book values without any pressure signs and no loose primer pockets. The 6.5CM can get near the 260 with less powder at higher pressures. It's inherently accurate.

I'd probably have all three if I could - 260, 6.5x55 - but the Creedmoor just ticks more boxes for me. Pretty much the same performance with less powder, low recoil, a shorter/lighter action, and some interesting brass to choose from, including LRP and SRP. Cheap factory ammo for when you can't be arsed reloading, and the 6.5 carries the same energy as a 308 at longer ranges.

They were my reasons. Plus I found a nice rifle in the calibre, a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 377
-

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 8:12 am

marksman wrote:it does come down to what you want but IMO I would go a creedmore anyday before a grendal :unknown: and the howa looks good to me for price
but that's just my opinion and I'm not interested in either cartridges
my recommendation would be build a 6.5 x 284 :wtf: on an old mauser 98 action but really that's not what you want :unknown: :lol:
it's good to get a different perspective but it's what you want :drinks:

and blade you did hit the nail on the head, the short actions will restrict the type of projectile that will make the 6.5 worthwhile
it has to be able to mag fit a long throated 140-142gr vld projectile to be worth it :thumbsup:



G'day mate

I am loading the 143 ELDX in my Creedmoor and have them loaded so they are a poofteenth of the lands. I haven't found any restrictions associated with the short action of the 6.5 Manbun and the 143 ELDX are a long projectile.
I am by no means saying it's any better than the 6.5x55. I was tossing up between the two, I did however opt for the Manbun for a number of reasons.
In saying that I would happily own a Swede.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1035
Queensland

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jan 2019, 10:42 am

How fast can a CM sling a 143 ELDX?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1472
New South Wales

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by Bill » 12 Jan 2019, 12:19 pm

down south 6.5 Grendel ammo is readily available and similar in price to the 6.5 Creedmoor, the big diff is the amount of recoil, the grendel is a pussy cat

Sure you can use a creedmore for a little more killing range but the cool new kid on the block aint doing anything the 260/6.5x55 or 7/08 cant do. Quality factory ammo certainly makes it an accurate round but thats where its advantage end.
User avatar
Bill
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 318
New South Wales

Re: Howa 6.5creed

Post by JimTom » 12 Jan 2019, 1:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How fast can a CM sling a 143 ELDX?


Mate I don’t chrono anything however from the loading tables I expect that I am getting just under 2700fps out of them, so about the same or a tiny bit quicker thank the Swede with a couple of grains less powder.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1035
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles