Oryx Chassis Vs. SCSA TSP-X Chassis

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Oryx Chassis Vs. SCSA TSP-X Chassis

Post by SlickColt » 16 Oct 2019, 1:23 pm

Hi all, Im due to start my first 308 build for 75% target shooting and occasional hunting. I will likely be getting a Howa 308 with a 20” Barrel. Does anyone have opinions for or against the Oryx Vs. TSP-X Chassis? Any insider info would be great as all I can find is advertising for both.
Howa 1500 Stainless Varmint 24” in .223
Howa 1500 Varmint 20” Bifrost .308
Huglu Sporter Deluxe 12G U/O
Savage A22R 22LR
Adler B230T Straight Pull 12G
SlickColt
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Oryx Chassis Vs. SCSA TSP-X Chassis

Post by Shootermick » 16 Nov 2019, 3:01 pm

Can’t help you, but I’m interested in any replies. I’m considering the same set up. There’s a Howa 20” in 308 in an Oryx chassis that I’ve been eyeing off. Probably would just use it to hit some gongs, but I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t point it out the ute window for a bit of roo shooting as well.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 5:07 pm

I don't own a Howa or either of those chassis but if I was in your position I would consider a secondhand Tikka Tac A1. Saw one going for just over $2,000. Sounds like good value to me.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2019, 7:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I don't own a Howa or either of those chassis but if I was in your position I would consider a secondhand Tikka Tac A1. Saw one going for just over $2,000. Sounds like good value to me.

There are brand new 308 Howas kicking around for under $500, and the Oryx isn’t far over $500, new. Fairly different price bracket to the Tac A1... just sayin
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 9:00 pm

What would you rather own?

I am betting you would have a better package with the Tikka.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Nov 2019, 9:14 pm

Ha. Apples and Oranges. Budget is truly the deciding factor for some. Luckily for us, not so much. Although I am building a custom on a Howa action as we speak - there are certainly a lot worse actions out there.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Nov 2019, 9:27 pm

Who is selling a new Howa for under $500. The cheapest I can find is a barrelled action for $545.

I do agree with you that it is comparing apples with oranges.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Nov 2019, 7:30 am

$399 for a barrelled action, I have paid more for scope rings.

I see that they are selling a Howa in the Oryx chassis for $1150. Cheap as chips.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 17 Nov 2019, 10:41 am

It’s the cheapest I’ve seen in a long while. It’ll destroy the resale market while stocks last. They sell the chassis for $549. Pair it with that $399 ba, and you’re out of jail for under a grand.

Still, you get what you pay for. The Oryx feels cheap and nasty to me. And the paintwork is very very thin - I think it’d age fast. Personally I’d rather a crappy synthetic stock to bubba myself (without any guilt) or go the whole hog and invest in a quality chassis... to each to their own though.

I don’t see what the big deal is about chassis anyway - people will continue to shoot good and bad irrespective of chassis. Give me a rifle with a euro or Monte Carlo style comb and a sling and I bet I can shoot a field positional group as good as i could with any chassis rifle...
Last edited by in2anity on 17 Nov 2019, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 17 Nov 2019, 11:01 am

I purchased a Howa 6.5C as a barreld action a year or so ago for $450 I also bought a few other calibres and then bought a MDT chassis and fitted it out. A few weeks ago I shot it at a club shoot and was the second highest score by just one point beating quite a few other very expensive rifles. With Howa I think you get a bit more than you pay for. Finish is not quite there but accuracy certainly is.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Shootermick » 17 Nov 2019, 3:37 pm

I just saw that an Oryx for a Mauser M18 was due to hit the shelves in October. I reckon one of them in 6.5x55 might go alright too.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Nov 2019, 8:18 pm

What are they priced at, I cannot believe the $399 price for the Howa. As noted before, used Howa prices must have taken a hammering.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles