Winchester m70 experience

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Winchester m70 experience

Post by MrSavage » 28 Feb 2020, 11:10 am

Looking for experience with Winchester m70s, the new ones.

Thinking of getting one on 30-06 for hunting

Any issues that I need to know about
Are the synthetic stocks any good or should I go for wood.

Accuracy?

Because I like the look of the wood ones and they have a controlled feed bolt and of course come in 30-06
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Winchester m70 experience

Post by JimTom » 28 Feb 2020, 12:51 pm

Following this with interest as I am considering a M70 super grade in 300WM. I have had a few shots out of a M70 extreme weather and found it a very nice rifle,
Very interested to hear peoples experiences.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 28 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm

My M70 is a wood-stocked, Featherweight. I discovered that the action was epoxied to the stock at the tang. Other than that oddity (I rebedded it) there have been no real problems, except for magazine capacity. I never tested capacity before rebedding but found afterwards that it only held four. A couple of washers between the trigger guard, back and front, fixed that.
Accuracy has always been 1.25 moa but last time at the range I adjusted the focus of the ocular lens and put 3 in 0.75 moa :D
A synthetic stock might be more "practical" for hunting. You can take them off and wash them if required but the wood stock sure is pretty.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Feb 2020, 1:32 pm

May not help. But purchased one 35 yrs ago. M70a. In 3006. Definately preferes 180gr. First 2 shots often touching at about 80 yards. That was using W760. Still got it. But now loaded with 130gr. Groups more like 1.5 moa. Sorry cant remember twist rate & not home atm.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Feb 2020, 2:18 pm

They are known as a heavy recoiler in the 06...I’ve a friend whom has a safe queen, he has fired it about 12 times to dial in. Wood looks good but his got some moisture in and cracked laminate.
I’d go synthetic for practicality it a walking rifle.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Feb 2020, 6:09 pm

I have a few, two of them are extreme weather and one with a custom walnut stock, all magnum actions. One shoots very well, well under an inch and the barrel is described by my gunsmith as good as any he has seen from Winchester. The other copper fouls badly and struggles to shoot inside two inches. The actions look cool as control feeds should, they are a bit sloppy but work OK. A friend has a chromoly version and you have to be very careful to stop it rusting in humid conditions. Barrel is a bad copper fouler as well.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 29 Feb 2020, 1:27 am

Brother has one in 243 and it is a shooter. He will hit the bung from a 200L drum (about 2 inches) at 150m with a cold bore every time. Not sure of the scope he has but it isn't a top shelf unit. Just a reliable and accurate farm gun.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 07 Mar 2020, 8:39 am

Have one on order now mate. Will report when I get it and let you know how it goes. Pretty keen for it to arrive.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by MrSavage » 07 Mar 2020, 3:45 pm

JimTom wrote:Have one on order now mate. Will report when I get it and let you know how it goes. Pretty keen for it to arrive.

Look forward to hearing
MrSavage
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Mar 2020, 4:00 pm

What model were you looking at mate?
I ordered the super grade, which is timber.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Centerfire rifles