Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bigpete » 13 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm

Tubs wrote:
bigpete wrote:
Tubs wrote:My gunsmith doesnt get out of bed for less than a hundred bucks


Well apparently mine does


My guy (Accuracy Den) has a job wait list of about 6-8 weeks for even small jobs. There are a handful of good armourers in all of Sydney, so they essentially charge whatever they like. If you have a good guy who is cheap and quick then that is pretty impressive!


He's been around forever. Sprinter firearms
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by cz515 » 14 Jan 2022, 3:33 am

My 2 cents for what's it's worth.

Firstly at the end of the day it's your money so do what you please in the end.

But to me backing up a perfectly good tikka is a shame and waste of money, after the mods are done the rifle is basterdized and won't have a market to buy it. Consider that.

As such a red dot I think would do 99% of iron sights but even better, and best or all can be removed if you don't like it. Or maybe do it to a $399 howa from cleavers

Chopping a barrel, well atleast they can be swapped, but same as above apply
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
User avatar
cz515
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 538
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by straightshooter » 14 Jan 2022, 6:28 am

Some is good, more is better, too much is just right!
Attachments
SomebodysDreamBike.jpg
SomebodysDreamBike.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 436 times
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
“No nation can be freer than its most oppressed, richer than its poorest, or wiser than its most ignorant.” Henry George
straightshooter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 875
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by womble » 14 Jan 2022, 8:29 am

Man that thing looks fast just sitting still
womble
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1031
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 14 Jan 2022, 1:36 pm

cz515 wrote:My 2 cents for what's it's worth.

Firstly at the end of the day it's your money so do what you please in the end.

But to me backing up a perfectly good tikka is a shame and waste of money, after the mods are done the rifle is basterdized and won't have a market to buy it. Consider that.

As such a red dot I think would do 99% of iron sights but even better, and best or all can be removed if you don't like it. Or maybe do it to a $399 howa from cleavers

Chopping a barrel, well atleast they can be swapped, but same as above apply


Ye I think my Howa 308 will be the guinea pig second hand you only get $20 for them :lol:
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by str8shutr » 15 Jan 2022, 6:10 am

If "light" refers to calibre and means something like 223 Rem then a Ruger American Ranch and a set of Nodak sights should get you on target:
https://nodakspud.com/Ranch%20Sights.htm

I'm just waiting for the front sight to be available.
str8shutr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Queensland

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by disco stu » 15 Jan 2022, 7:47 am

Tubs wrote:
cz515 wrote:My 2 cents for what's it's worth.

Firstly at the end of the day it's your money so do what you please in the end.

But to me backing up a perfectly good tikka is a shame and waste of money, after the mods are done the rifle is basterdized and won't have a market to buy it. Consider that.

As such a red dot I think would do 99% of iron sights but even better, and best or all can be removed if you don't like it. Or maybe do it to a $399 howa from cleavers

Chopping a barrel, well atleast they can be swapped, but same as above apply


Ye I think my Howa 308 will be the guinea pig second hand you only get $20 for them :lol:


Except on used guns, where you pay a premium for someone shooting in (out) the barrel for you
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 503
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by cz515 » 15 Jan 2022, 11:08 am

Lol don't complain...I am playing on putting a couple of rifles on used guns, with ridiculous pricing
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
User avatar
cz515
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 538
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by womble » 15 Jan 2022, 2:44 pm

str8shutr wrote:If "light" refers to calibre and means something like 223 Rem then a Ruger American Ranch and a set of Nodak sights should get you on target:
https://nodakspud.com/Ranch%20Sights.htm

I'm just waiting for the front sight to be available.


Very nice :thumbsup:
womble
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1031
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2022, 2:58 pm

str8shutr wrote:If "light" refers to calibre and means something like 223 Rem then a Ruger American Ranch and a set of Nodak sights should get you on target:
https://nodakspud.com/Ranch%20Sights.htm

I'm just waiting for the front sight to be available.


Those are some great options, as is the Ruger American ranch Rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Daffy » 15 Jan 2022, 3:44 pm

Tacticool_870_bling.jpg
Tacticool_870_bling.jpg (85.84 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Maybe this is what you need!
Daffy
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 2
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bigpete » 15 Jan 2022, 3:54 pm

Daffy wrote:
Tacticool_870_bling.jpg
Maybe this is what you need!

Was beginning to think that lol
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve, especially the wankers here.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Me wrong, that'll be the day.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 8153
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2022, 4:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.


At that size you're talking ghost rings.
I unscrew the peep aperture and use the housing as a ghost ring to shoot just as accurately as with aperture.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2022, 5:13 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.


At that size you're talking ghost rings.
I unscrew the peep aperture and use the housing as a ghost ring to shoot just as accurately as with aperture.


Well, actually "ghost ring" is just a marketing name for big aperture. Sorry dont like the name, its just BS really.

The old 303s had peeps fitted, not "ghost rings."

Ill get of the soap box now.

Anyway i think they are worth considering.
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve, especially the wankers here.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Me wrong, that'll be the day.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 8153
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 15 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.


At that size you're talking ghost rings.
I unscrew the peep aperture and use the housing as a ghost ring to shoot just as accurately as with aperture.


Well, actually "ghost ring" is just a marketing name for big aperture. Sorry dont like the name, its just BS really.

The old 303s had peeps fitted, not "ghost rings."

Ill get of the soap box now.

Anyway i think they are worth considering.


I think "peep" is a marketing term also though, .303's were fitted with aperture sights.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2022, 10:15 pm

Lol fair enough.
Treat trolls with the contempt they deserve, especially the wankers here.
Reminder. I am of average intelligence, therefore 50% of people are dumber than me.
Me wrong, that'll be the day.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 8153
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 15 Jan 2022, 10:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.


At that size you're talking ghost rings.
I unscrew the peep aperture and use the housing as a ghost ring to shoot just as accurately as with aperture.


Well, actually "ghost ring" is just a marketing name for big aperture. Sorry dont like the name, its just BS really.

The old 303s had peeps fitted, not "ghost rings."

Ill get of the soap box now.

Anyway i think they are worth considering.


I think "peep" is a marketing term also though, .303's were fitted with aperture sights.



How does one get a forward mounted/scout type rail on a Tikka or Howa? No need for irons, Ill use a red-dot for back-up, this was a good idea.

I sold my Marlin 1894 357 and have bought a Rossi Citadel (saved alot) so will be easier to experiment with all options on that also. Thanks for the feedback.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by str8shutr » 15 Jan 2022, 11:04 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Nobody has mentioned peep sights. With a 4-5 mm peep thay are at least as fast as open sights.


At that size you're talking ghost rings.
I unscrew the peep aperture and use the housing as a ghost ring to shoot just as accurately as with aperture.


Well, actually "ghost ring" is just a marketing name for big aperture. Sorry dont like the name, its just BS really.

The old 303s had peeps fitted, not "ghost rings."

Ill get of the soap box now.

Anyway i think they are worth considering.


Feel free to stay on that soap box ... "Ghost Ring"? ... oooooo ... spooky

Wasn't the large aperture on a No. 4 "Singer" sight just called a "Battle Sight"?

How many decades did that pre-date the term ghost ring? Dunno' personally. Honest question.
str8shutr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Queensland

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by str8shutr » 15 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
str8shutr wrote:If "light" refers to calibre and means something like 223 Rem then a Ruger American Ranch and a set of Nodak sights should get you on target:
https://nodakspud.com/Ranch%20Sights.htm

I'm just waiting for the front sight to be available.


Those are some great options, as is the Ruger American ranch Rifle.


Agreed, which is why I'd like Nodak to get the production line moving.
str8shutr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 12
Queensland

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by jwai86 » 16 Jan 2022, 1:54 pm

Are there any merits to doing a custom build as opposed to picking up something off the shelf like a Steyr Scout, Ruger Gunsite Scout. Mossberg MVP Scout or Savage 110 Scout?
jwai86
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 34
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 16 Jan 2022, 2:15 pm

jwai86 wrote:Are there any merits to doing a custom build as opposed to picking up something off the shelf like a Steyr Scout, Ruger Gunsite Scout. Mossberg MVP Scout or Savage 110 Scout?


I have left handed rifles already. The RGS is left but heavy clunky and over priced
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2022, 6:01 pm

Tubs wrote:How does one get a forward mounted/scout type rail on a Tikka or Howa? No need for irons, Ill use a red-dot for back-up, this was a good idea.

I sold my Marlin 1894 357 and have bought a Rossi Citadel (saved alot) so will be easier to experiment with all options on that also. Thanks for the feedback.


I'm not intimately familiar with either of these, but you would need to mount a pic rail on the barrel ahead of the receiver. Much like mounting sights, the options are epoxy, solder, screws, clamps etc. It might also be possible to mount a rail laterally on the forend instead of the barrel, but it won't be as rigid as a barrel mount. Try shooting in the field with a scout scope before making any investment in one. Of the bench they're just fine. In the field I find them obtrusive and not at all intuitive, though practice would address that I'm sure. If you just want to try a scout scope get a long pic rail and use it to temporarily extend your rail forward. I would avoid switching to a scout if your rifle already mounts conventional scopes. My scout scope is the "standard" NC-Star 2-7x32.

Red dots are good, but they do use batteries, they do get wet, and they can get busted in a fall. Irons are always good to have. But you can carry a pre-zeroed reflex sight for a back-up as it's even more compact and lighter than the red dots.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2022, 6:03 pm

Tubs wrote:
jwai86 wrote:Are there any merits to doing a custom build as opposed to picking up something off the shelf like a Steyr Scout, Ruger Gunsite Scout. Mossberg MVP Scout or Savage 110 Scout?


I have left handed rifles already. The RGS is left but heavy clunky and over priced


Agreed, nice looking rifle but I wouldn't want to be lugging one around in deer country.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 16 Jan 2022, 6:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:How does one get a forward mounted/scout type rail on a Tikka or Howa? No need for irons, Ill use a red-dot for back-up, this was a good idea.

I sold my Marlin 1894 357 and have bought a Rossi Citadel (saved alot) so will be easier to experiment with all options on that also. Thanks for the feedback.


I'm not intimately familiar with either of these, but you would need to mount a pic rail on the barrel ahead of the receiver. Much like mounting sights, the options are epoxy, solder, screws, clamps etc. It might also be possible to mount a rail laterally on the forend instead of the barrel, but it won't be as rigid as a barrel mount. Try shooting in the field with a scout scope before making any investment in one. Of the bench they're just fine. In the field I find them obtrusive and not at all intuitive, though practice would address that I'm sure. If you just want to try a scout scope get a long pic rail and use it to temporarily extend your rail forward. I would avoid switching to a scout if your rifle already mounts conventional scopes. My scout scope is the "standard" NC-Star 2-7x32.

Red dots are good, but they do use batteries, they do get wet, and they can get busted in a fall. Irons are always good to have. But you can carry a pre-zeroed reflex sight for a back-up as it's even more compact and lighter than the red dots.


Thanks L, i think the logic Im reading is If you want a long range gun that can also shoot at close range then LPVO (low power variable optic/scout) is good,
if you want a short range gun that can also shoot at long ranges: Red dot + magnifier is the go.

Im just gunna buy one of each and have a play:)
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2022, 3:09 pm

Tubs wrote:Thanks L, i think the logic Im reading is If you want a long range gun that can also shoot at close range then LPVO (low power variable optic/scout) is good, if you want a short range gun that can also shoot at long ranges: Red dot + magnifier is the go.
Im just gunna buy one of each and have a play:)



I think the original Cooper ideal was for iron sights, with a scout scope as an option, the scout rifle was not built around a scope or even needed a scope.

The scout scope has long eye relief so it only functions when mounted midway down the rifle. If you decide you don't like it then you are stuck with a scope that no longer serves any purpose, You can't throw it on another rifle, unless that one is also set up for long eye relief. The scout copes are set up between conventional rifle eye relief and pistol scope eye relief. I keep one handy for load development on rifles that don't mount conventional scopes, like top-eject levers and milsurps with straight bolt handles.

I don't know the spec on mine, but eye relief is somewhere between eight and twelve inches. Just Googled it, 9-11".
https://www.ncstar.com/optics-acc/scope ... tblknon-il

The "buy a bunch and play around" is a great learning technique :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 17 Jan 2022, 3:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
The "buy a bunch and play around" is a great learning technique :-)


Ye it pretty much defines my personality. Best way I learn. I can always sell back the stuff I dont like.

I was initially intending to scope my 617 for fun as a parallel project to this one so I have a few use cases for a LER scope.

If only 223 came in a LH, 20" barrel 1 in 8" option that was in a shop or shelf somewhere in Australia that wasnt a Gunsite scout.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2022, 3:51 pm

Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
The "buy a bunch and play around" is a great learning technique :-)


Ye it pretty much defines my personality. Best way I learn. I can always sell back the stuff I dont like.

I was initially intending to scope my 617 for fun as a parallel project to this one so I have a few use cases for a LER scope.

If only 223 came in a LH, 20" barrel 1 in 8" option that was in a shop or shelf somewhere in Australia that wasnt a Gunsite scout.


Yep, sell of whatever I don't use, never gonna happen :-)

I've seen rifles "bubba'd" by extending the RHS bolt knob down and under the action so it can be operated from the left side. I'm sure there are rifles that would be fairly easy to modify from right to left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiX4Z9N_9k8
When I had the pin in my right shoulder, shooting prone or benched, I used to reach under the rifle and run the bolt with my left hand with no issues at all - it's actually easier than running it with my right hand, I would expect a lefty could run a right-handed bolt just as easily. I do understand that some lefties simply can't adapt to firing a "righty" from the left shoulder, I struggle to do anything useful with my left side. But if you can adapt your style to work with right-handed rifles you benefit by being able to loan and borrow rifles, and it's easier and cheaper to sell and buy righties,
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by Tubs » 17 Jan 2022, 6:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:
When I had the pin in my right shoulder, shooting prone or benched, I used to reach under the rifle and run the bolt with my left hand with no issues at all - it's actually easier than running it with my right hand, I would expect a lefty could run a right-handed bolt just as easily. I do understand that some lefties simply can't adapt to firing a "righty" from the left shoulder, I struggle to do anything useful with my left side. But if you can adapt your style to work with right-handed rifles you benefit by being able to loan and borrow rifles, and it's easier and cheaper to sell and buy righties,


This is great, hadnt thought about doing this. Normally I would use right hand but cant use right when shooting offhand with a sling....
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 257
New South Wales

Re: Converting lite bolt rifles to a scout configuration

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jan 2022, 2:46 pm

Tubs wrote: This is great, hadnt thought about doing this. Normally I would use right hand but cant use right when shooting offhand with a sling....


I used to use a sling, I don't anymore. Slings aren't useful for field shooting in my experience, they either take too long to get into, or require you to move around getting into them, neither of which is useful in most hunting situations. And the sling restricts your options when you're in it. I have in the past gotten into the sling to start walking along a creek bank, and that can work as you are really shooting in a very restricted direction anyway. But if you walk along the creek bed, trying to engage snap shots to both sides becomes awkward with the sling. You are far better off simply practicing offhand until you become good at it, and you don't want the sling flapping about while taking a sight picture either. Learn to hunt moving from one shooting position to the next, where you have both cover or shadow, and shooting support, a tree, fence post, grassy mound or a log to lean on. You will only be using such positions at relatively close ranges, at longer ranges you should be well settled into a position and shouldn't be taking snap shots at all. This is when you might choose to revert to the sling, but know that your point of impact is likely to change between using and not using the sling. Since switching to single-point slings, I love no longer having a sling hanging off a rifle. The rifle just has a short strap about 100mm long with the QD clip on the end of it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 9341
Victoria

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Centerfire rifles